The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super_kawaii
Just 3 characters, and the same number of syllables as de rien :biggrin:

:ahee: true, characters are scaring me tbh
Original post by scott18044
Sorry to interrupt all of the frightful looking Mandarin(?), I just discovered (possibly rediscovered) this thread, so wanted to post and say hi. :smile:

Considering most of what I post around here (which isn't very much, admittedly) tends to be about studying languages etc., I'm surprised I've not posted here before. :P

:eek: welcome :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:ahee: true, characters are scaring me tbh

:eek: welcome :biggrin:

I think characters are the best bit! Although saying that I do have 20 words to learn for 10am tomorrow. It's currently 8:30pm here
I think characters are the best bit! Although saying that I do have 20 words to learn for 10am tomorrow. It's currently 8:30pm here

Bonne chance :mmm:

Characters are awesome when you can write them :tongue:
Bonne chance :mmm:

Characters are awesome when you can write them :tongue:

They are, especially when you learn a really complicated one with loads of strokes. I always feel impressive when that happens :biggrin:
They are, especially when you learn a really complicated one with loads of strokes. I always feel impressive when that happens :biggrin:

Okay, now I'm going to do the pronouns. Right now, is there a particular way to write them? Like which strokes first? And directions?
Okay, now I'm going to do the pronouns. Right now, is there a particular way to write them? Like which strokes first? And directions?

http://www.visualmandarin.com/tools/chinese-stroke-order/29351 This site seems to be good for stroke order. It's quite hard to explain over TSR :tongue:
http://www.visualmandarin.com/tools/chinese-stroke-order/29351 This site seems to be good for stroke order. It's quite hard to explain over TSR :tongue:

Damn, there's an order. I just wrote "I" like 20 times haha
Damn, there's an order. I just wrote "I" like 20 times haha

Yep, there's an order. The more characters you learn, the easier it is to write characters. Stroke order soon becomes second nature and you soon realise when you don't write a character in the write order.

I like how this thread has pretty much just turned into you and me talking about Mandarin :tongue:
Yep, there's an order. The more characters you learn, the easier it is to write characters. Stroke order soon becomes second nature and you soon realise when you don't write a character in the write order.

I like how this thread has pretty much just turned into you and me talking about Mandarin :tongue:

It's okay, no one else is talking anyway.

I can write I love you without looking at anything now :biggrin: what's the dot though?
It's okay, no one else is talking anyway.

I can write I love you without looking at anything now :biggrin: what's the dot though?

The dot at the end? That's a full stop. Punctuation's slightly different in Chinese, but it doesn't differ too much
The dot at the end? That's a full stop. Punctuation's slightly different in Chinese, but it doesn't differ too much

Oh :rofl:

I can't find the stroke order of "he"
Oh :rofl:

I can't find the stroke order of "he"

http://www.visualmandarin.com/tools/chinese-stroke-order/3919 :smile:

Thanks, how do you find each word so I don't have to ask for every word?
Thanks, how do you find each word so I don't have to ask for every word?

You can type it into the search bar. If you have a smartphone, a good app for finding out the pronunciation is 'Pleco'. You can draw the character then it'll give you the pronunciation including tones. You can then use that website to find the correct stroke order
You can type it into the search bar. If you have a smartphone, a good app for finding out the pronunciation is 'Pleco'. You can draw the character then it'll give you the pronunciation including tones. You can then use that website to find the correct stroke order

Okay, thanks :biggrin:

I had pleco but never used it :ahee:
Okay, thanks :biggrin:

I had pleco but never used it :ahee:

It's so useful! I use it all the time when I can't remember how a character's pronounced or when I come across a new character. I find it invaluable when learning Chinese. You should definitely consider starting using it again :ahee:
It's so useful! I use it all the time when I can't remember how a character's pronounced or when I come across a new character. I find it invaluable when learning Chinese. You should definitely consider starting using it again :ahee:

Just downloaded it again :teeth:
Just downloaded it again :teeth:

Prepare to become addicted :teeth:
Prepare to become addicted :teeth:

I've learnt the pronouns now :teehee:
I've learnt the pronouns now :teehee:

If you have any questions, just ask me. Anyway, just off for a quick shower. I shall be back soon! :teeth:

Latest

Trending

Trending