The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8600
Surely the phrase the article is looking for is 'collision course'?

"Set for crash course" sounds like Abramovic is going to be sending Mourinho on an intense 5 day course...
Reply 8601
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Need more big strong africans on the team tbh. Mikel, Essien and Omeruo should be starting. No excuses.

:yes:

It's all about the pounded hammed strong africans. I can't wait for the WC for when the trio of Emenike-Ameobi- Dike that bullying teams. Even Italy couldn't handle them.

In case you're wondering who Bight Dike is

And here's what he had to say for himself

“If you haven’t seen me play, you can look at me and just tell I’m big, strong, athletic, fast,”

Spoiler

Original post by The Assassin
Kenneth scores the winner against Arsenal in a few weeks -- your reaction?

I'd feel betrayed.

Original post by bigwhalegambler
mourinho fired is trending

lolwut?

If it happens, every chelsea fan is

Reply 8602
Original post by UnWise
****ing Dan!!!! I was ready to enter meltdown mode :mob:
Definitely his intention, probably got a couple of thousand more hits on the site from this.
Actually guys I suggest you read some of the quotes. The comments on some of our strikers.
Reply 8604
Mourinhos right if that's true, I've ****ing had enough on those strikers. What do they do besides work hard? only player I can forgive is ba as he's not had a lot of gametime.

Although, the comments are probably bull****.
Reply 8605
Original post by The Assassin
Lol, United's big news is that they may be signing Cabaye in January. That's a shame

Problem with Utd is that they are going to have to replace Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo (they still have not replaced the guy yet).

These long lasting types of quality players don't come around often. And they need a whole team of them.

... and they're stuck with Moyes.
Reply 8606
Comments on strikers are interesting, I thought he had dismissed the idea of getting a striker in January but now I'm not so sure. It would be nice to finally have a quality striker in their prime again, haven't had that in years and years (since the days when Drogba was truly in his prime). Seeing quality strikers carry so many of the top 5/6 to easy wins against some of the teams we've been struggling against...That would be such a relief.

But, much more than that, I wish we would sort out our ****ing central midfield. We either need to sign someone or get De Bruyne involved in a central midfield role. His long passing has always really, really impressed me. I wish we could whack Mata's left foot (..and vision) on Ramires, we would have the most incredible DLP the world has ever seen :coma:
Reply 8607
Interesting that when he reeled off that list of the highest scoring strikers he missed Lukaku who has around the same goals with some of the people he mentioned
Reply 8608
As strange as it might sound, I actually think we should try and sign Van Persie.
Reply 8609
Original post by Skkc16
Interesting that when he reeled off that list of the highest scoring strikers he missed Lukaku who has around the same goals with some of the people he mentioned

Tbf, that's something he'd do.

But tbh we sent him off on loan, he's not going to use him in an argument to get a striker immediately, especially since we can't get him back until the end of the season.
Reply 8610
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Tbf, that's something he'd do.

But tbh we sent him off on loan, he's not going to use him in an argument to get a striker immediately, especially since we can't get him back until the end of the season.

Yes true. The whole situation is strange, we brought in a 30 yr old who he now says he can't improve but sent out a 20 yr old he would be able to. Btw while on the subject, you're one of the people calling for someone like Falcao to be bought but if that happens what do you think the situation with Lukaku would be like going forward?

ETA: Winning the league with these 3 strikers would feel pretty sweet because it seems so impossible.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've been away this weekend and didn't see the game, what happened? How on earth did we lose? An opportunity missed to take points off Arsenal.
Reply 8612
Original post by Skkc16
Yes true. The whole situation is strange, we brought in a 30 yr old who he now says he can't improve but sent out a 20 yr old he would be able to. Btw while on the subject, you're one of the people calling for someone like Falcao to be bought but if that happens what do you think the situation with Lukaku would be like going forward?

I agree the situation is strange with the Lukaku loan, but I think Lukaku demanded it and we decided not to force him to stay and have an unhappy player interfering. There were some rumours that after the Bayern game Lukaku demanded a transfer. We definitely don't know the full story behind it, anyway, but I'm sure it will come out eventually. The way he acts towards the club is not acceptable, imo.

If we do get a striker in Jan, I imagine we'll offload Ba, as he'd be the easiest to flog in the January window. After that, who knows what would happen in summer - probably we'd offload either Eto'o or Torres, or even both.
dang
Who realistically could we get that would improve our strikeforce? No one in Jan would come here.

Apparently Rooney can buy out his contract next season? Not sure if this is true or not but that's something to consider...
Reply 8615
Original post by Skkc16

ETA: Winning the league with these 3 strikers would feel pretty sweet because it seems so impossible.

It won't be a problem, Age wise, we'll flog ba easily and eto'o won't have his contract renewed, getting rid of torres will be the hard part, but there'll no longer be the pressure of having to start him due to his price tag.

If we can get rid of torres, then lukaku will get games.
Reply 8616
Yeah, I don't even know. Definitely forget about Falcao, Suarez, Lewandowski, Cavani et al. Not in January, and for some of them probably no chance in summer either. People like Jackson Martinez or Diego Costa might be more feasible. Both on fire at the mo. So is De Rossi at Fiorentina, but with his injury record? Probably not. And then there are random guys like Burak Yilmaz, or we could look at Dzeko, if City would even sell him to us.
Reply 8617
Or Berbatov LOL
Reply 8618
Original post by mhsc
Comments on strikers are interesting, I thought he had dismissed the idea of getting a striker in January but now I'm not so sure. It would be nice to finally have a quality striker in their prime again, haven't had that in years and years (since the days when Drogba was truly in his prime). Seeing quality strikers carry so many of the top 5/6 to easy wins against some of the teams we've been struggling against...That would be such a relief.

But, much more than that, I wish we would sort out our ****ing central midfield. We either need to sign someone or get De Bruyne involved in a central midfield role. His long passing has always really, really impressed me. I wish we could whack Mata's left foot (..and vision) on Ramires, we would have the most incredible DLP the world has ever seen :coma:
A striker would have a greater immediate impact I think, if we could only buy one player in January I'd want a striker tbf. Our CM definitely needs improving and isn't of the required calibre, but in the context of the league it's relatively okay IMO (not compared to the other top teams of course, but it's no worse than Liverpool's and better than United's, and has recently held its own against much better midfields in Bayern/City/Arsenal/Tottenham). Obviously improvements in this area would give us a massive boost and are essential, particularly if we want to seriously contend for the CL, but I think a top striker would improve our chances of winning the league vastly, which I think should be our target for this season (or at least putting in a strong challenge). Midfield can be sorted over summer when there will likely be better options.

Original post by Skkc16

I think he brought in Eto'o expecting to be able to revive his previous ability, which if it worked would have been excellent, but so far it hasn't and I'm skeptical as to whether it will either.

I think part of the reason Lukaku wanted to go on loan was that he doesn't want to be challenging for a starting spot at this stage of his career, he justs wants to be starting almost irrespective of form, which is probably the best thing for him, but meant he didn't want to stay here. Not sure how he'd react if we brought in a new striker, but Eto'o will likely be leaving at the end of the season, hopefully with Torres too but Ba would probably be easier to sell. Perhaps selling both would be a good sign of intent for Lukaku as he'd be the only other striker bar this new striker?

Although I can't even really think of a decent and plausible option for a striker in January; reckon the Falcao leaving rumours are 99% BS (and nothing would happen until summer anyway), don't think Rooney/Costa/Suarez would even consider leaving (and we'd have to pay a premium if they did) and I don't want us to just get Martinez/Yilmaz for the sake of it, unless Mourinho is completely sold on them (and I suspect if he was we'd have gone for them over summer).
Idk why but I think we're going to lose to Derby. Will Hughes to score against us.

Such is life as a Chelsea fan getting overly-worried about lower league teams...

Latest