The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davros

Pertwee: earlier stories are generally better. Get the 'Mannequin Mania' boxset for the first stories from each of Pertwee's first 2 seasons. If you like that, try 'Inferno', 'Mind of Evil', 'The Daemons'.

Tom Baker: numerous good stories here, again the earlier the better. Try 'Genesis of the Daleks', 'Terror of the Zygons', 'Planet of Evil', 'Pyramids of Mars', 'Seeds of Doom', 'Deadly Assassin', 'Robots of Death', 'Talons of Weng Chiang', 'City of Death'.

Davison: try 'Visitation', 'Five Doctors' and 'Caves of Androzani'.

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy: personally didn't like these - I'll let someone else recommend things :smile:

Daemons is wonderful! It's full of sweet old fashioned village scenes and acting from the early 70s, it has a really atmospheric feel to it and some memorable lines. Jon Pertwee is adorable in it, he's a lovely mix of nice, friendly uncle and cantankerous, irritable, super-clever scientist in a hurry. The supporting cast are lovely. :biggrin:

I notice you didn't put Ark in Space down on the Tom Baker list, which is particularly good, but some of the others you mention are terrific. Pyramids stands out, I think it really was one of the very best Dr Who stories, it has sooo much atmosphere and is so carefully, cleverly plotted, acted and scripted, that you forget all about the odd silly-looking set or mummy and focus totally on the story. The current Dr Who really misses that level of good solid BBC scriptwriting. It also has some very good lines, like 'abase yourself, ya grovelling insect!' (Sutekh to the Doctor - satirised brilliantly in a spoof on the DVD), 'I bring Sutekh's gift of death to all humans' (Sutekh's servant to Ibrahim) and others. :colondollar:

Five Doctors is charming, brilliant, interesting and intelligent and frankly, streets ahead of the show we just watched. :angry:
Reply 2801
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Daemons is wonderful! It's full of sweet old fashioned village scenes and acting from the early 70s, it has a really atmospheric feel to it and some memorable lines. Jon Pertwee is adorable in it, he's a lovely mix of nice, friendly uncle and cantankerous, irritable, super-clever scientist in a hurry. The supporting cast are lovely. :biggrin:

I notice you didn't put Ark in Space down on the Tom Baker list, which is particularly good, but some of the others you mention are terrific.

I've always struggled a bit with Ark in Space - I know there's a good story behind it, but the support acting's a bit weak IMO (apart from the female character Vira) and the direction's a bit all over the place occasionally. Also I find Sarah a bit whiny in this one - I always find her more convincing in the earthbound stories where she's behaving "in character" as an investigative journalist - and the Wirrn monsters aren't the most mobile things ever :smile:

Seeds of Doom is one of my all-time favourites, although it's arguably more of an action thriller than Doctor Who!!

You can probably guess I prefer the earthbound stuff, so most early Pertwee gets my vote :smile:
watching an old episode of The Vicar of Dibley, guest starring? a very young Peter Capaldi! :laugh: completely forgot he was in this episode as well, my god he looks different!
Reply 2804

Interesting article. I'm not really sure about the explanation that Tom Baker was a part of 11's unconscious. I'm fairly sure it was hinted at that he was a future incarnation of The Doctor, where he decided to 'revisit' an old face.
I don't know about what everyone else has heard but pretty much the whole plot of the christmas special has been spoiled.I will write what I think happens from what I have heard and most of it seems to be true.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yoghurt
Interesting article. I'm not really sure about the explanation that Tom Baker was a part of 11's unconscious. I'm fairly sure it was hinted at that he was a future incarnation of The Doctor, where he decided to 'revisit' an old face.

yeah I wasn't sure on that bit either, was just nice to read an article that wasn't just the usual "we hate Moffat" stuff, I know the show is far from perfect, but I do think people obsess over little things sometimes, all TV shows have flaws, most of them far more so than Doctor Who, I just want to enjoy the episodes sometimes without the entire internet exploding afterwards because of one 30 second dialog that they didn't think made sense. (not saying everyone does that, but some people seem to never be happy with the shows writers)
I like to think Trenzalore isn't actually where the Doctor dies, because when he was talking to Dorium, it is Dorium that says on the fields of Trenzalore at the fall of the eleventh.
And bypassing all of the John Hurt being ninth and Tennant having two regenerations as well as all the other wallop along with it, Trenzalore is just that, the 'death' of the eleventh and welcoming of the twelfth.
I think we are forgetting that this is a family show and not some great big twisty thing like Sherlock or something. Moffat isn't trying to make our heads burst on purpose, we are just reading too much into it.
But isnt that what Doctor who is about making our heads burst with wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.
The Undying Battle of the Millions

Undying = More Regenerations.
Original post by drbluebox
X

Original post by davros
X

Original post by Skip_Snip
X

Original post by Dalek1099
For Colin Vengeance on Varos is very good and for Sylvestor The Curse of Fenric is very good.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Decided to start with the recommendations that were on Netflix UK/US then buy whatever's missing if I like what I see. Have to admit I kind of struggled with Aztecs. Curse of Fenric was pretty decent though. All this Classic Who will definitely keep me busy until Christmas :tongue:
Original post by Dalek1099
I don't know about what everyone else has heard but pretty much the whole plot of the christmas special has been spoiled.I will write what I think happens from what I have heard and most of it seems to be true.

Spoiler

Sounds like bs
Original post by Miracle Day
Sounds like bs

Utter rubbish lol

It's obvious isn't it? Gallifrey can give more regens, so that's where he's going, trenzalore is probably linked to gallifrey in one way or another.

I'm personally disappointed we haven't seen skaro yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fullofsurprises
x

So haven't asked, but what did you think of DW then, the anniversary special and what do you think will happen in the Christmas episode? :smile:

Hilarious!
http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8681-doctor-who-series-8-wont-be-split-confirms-moffat

NO SPLIT SERIES!!!! :woo:

hell yes, no waiting for half the series anymore!
Original post by SciFiRory
http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8681-doctor-who-series-8-wont-be-split-confirms-moffat

NO SPLIT SERIES!!!! :woo:

hell yes, no waiting for half the series anymore!

That's VERY good news. Also, seems reasonably safe to say that it'll be Aug/Sept 2014 - not too long to wait! I thought that if they did one long season we might have to wait even longer for it to start...
Original post by Feefifofum
That's VERY good news. Also, seems reasonably safe to say that it'll be Aug/Sept 2014 - not too long to wait! I thought that if they did one long season we might have to wait even longer for it to start...

well the BBC have consistently said Autumn 2014 for it, I'd be surprised if it's any later than September, it probably helps them that Peter Capaldi won't have as many things on his schedule as Matt Smith
Original post by SciFiRory
well the BBC have consistently said Autumn 2014 for it, I'd be surprised if it's any later than September, it probably helps them that Peter Capaldi won't have as many things on his schedule as Matt Smith

Rule One - the BBC lies :p:

Actually I hadn't heard that from the BBC, just fan speculation, so I didn't realise that it was already so certain. Still pleased! And yeah, that'll definitely help at first, although if previous patterns are anything to go by (well, Tennant and Smith), then Capaldi will get more and more job offers as time goes on. Moffatt doing both Who and Sherlock will still cause delays, but we can't have everything :h:
Original post by Feefifofum
Rule One - the BBC lies :p:

Actually I hadn't heard that from the BBC, just fan speculation, so I didn't realise that it was already so certain. Still pleased! And yeah, that'll definitely help at first, although if previous patterns are anything to go by (well, Tennant and Smith), then Capaldi will get more and more job offers as time goes on. Moffatt doing both Who and Sherlock will still cause delays, but we can't have everything :h:

true, but I hope for once they aren't!

I've read it in a lot of places so I would be surprised if there's not something to it! pretty sure they mentioned it on the 50th stuff as well. maybe, though he's older than Smith/Tennant and done a lot more in his career so hopefully he will be able to be more focused on the role! aye, though with Sherlock airing in January you would think that Doctor Who wouldn't be any later than the Autumn, specially if they are filming soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending