The Student Room Group

Bath vs KCL vs Edinburgh vs Exeter vs St Andrews

Hi! I have applied to Bath, King's College London, Edinburgh, Exeter and St Andrews for Business & Management. The problem is that there are many rankings and it really confuses me because they are entirely different. From what you've heard, what do people say about the course at the listed universities?
I've heard that Bath is incredible for Business and so is St Andrews, but King's has a low rating (only QS rankings gave King's a high rating).
Anyway, any help?
Original post by dvm
Hi! I have applied to Bath, King's College London, Edinburgh, Exeter and St Andrews for Business & Management. The problem is that there are many rankings and it really confuses me because they are entirely different. From what you've heard, what do people say about the course at the listed universities?
I've heard that Bath is incredible for Business and so is St Andrews, but King's has a low rating (only QS rankings gave King's a high rating).
Anyway, any help?

Hi there!

I'm a second year student of International Management and Spanish at the University of Bath and I personally could not be any happier with the quality of my degree and my lecturers.

There is a reason that Bath is ranked so highly for business, and one of those is the compulsory year in industry. Bath benefits from amazing business links and if you do a business degree at Bath you will have such a range of top employers to choose to do your placement with.

The range of management modules open to business students at Bath is also great in that it allows you to focus on areas you particularly enjoy or get a wide breadth of business acumen. Which particular business course did you apply for at Bath?

And if you have any other questions about life at the University of Bath or in Bath in general please do not hesitate to ask!

Ellen
Reply 2
dvm
OP
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi there!

I'm a second year student of International Management and Spanish at the University of Bath and I personally could not be any happier with the quality of my degree and my lecturers.

There is a reason that Bath is ranked so highly for business, and one of those is the compulsory year in industry. Bath benefits from amazing business links and if you do a business degree at Bath you will have such a range of top employers to choose to do your placement with.

The range of management modules open to business students at Bath is also great in that it allows you to focus on areas you particularly enjoy or get a wide breadth of business acumen. Which particular business course did you apply for at Bath?

And if you have any other questions about life at the University of Bath or in Bath in general please do not hesitate to ask!

Ellen

Hi! Thanks for the feedback! I have applied for Management.
I do have to ask though- why is it that the uni's account is commenting rather than a student. It does sort of undermine the answer in a way.
Thanks anyway though.
Reply 3
You have applied to five excellent universities and realistically given the flaws and idiosyncrasies of rankings, it would be unrealistic for you to expect to draw any meaningful distinctions based on rankings - these are all great universities.

Instead choose on other factors, such as the course options, extracurriculars, the campus environment and accommodation, whether there is any industry experience, how easy it will be for you to get home, etc.
Reply 4
I am studying business management at Exeter, and could not be happier. They also have an incredible career service, and I have 4 interviews with well known companies for a 6 month placement this Spring, and will be fortunate enough to pick and choose the company.
Reply 5
dvm
OP
Original post by Crumpet1
You have applied to five excellent universities and realistically given the flaws and idiosyncrasies of rankings, it would be unrealistic for you to expect to draw any meaningful distinctions based on rankings - these are all great universities.

Instead choose on other factors, such as the course options, extracurriculars, the campus environment and accommodation, whether there is any industry experience, how easy it will be for you to get home, etc.

Yes, you're right. Thanks, I'll start looking at all those factors!
Reply 6
dvm
OP
Original post by Film
I am studying business management at Exeter, and could not be happier. They also have an incredible career service, and I have 4 interviews with well known companies for a 6 month placement this Spring, and will be fortunate enough to pick and choose the company.

Thanks- it's always nice to hear feedback from someone who's actually at a university I'm interested in. Exeter is great and I've heard the campus is very nice too. What are the downsides though?
Reply 7
Only downside for me, is that the campus though gorgeous, is very hilly, and can wear you out at times. Other than that, as a Uni it only has positives.
Reply 8
dvm
OP
Original post by Film
Only downside for me, is that the campus though gorgeous, is very hilly, and can wear you out at times. Other than that, as a Uni it only has positives.

Ok, thanks!
Reply 9
Currently in my first year of business administration at Bath, and it's fantastic. The course is as good as the rankings say: it is currently broad, giving us a foundation in the main principles, ranging from law, accounting, economics, group projects, corporate psychology etc, and next year in semester 1 it will be my first placement. I will be spending it at a hedge fund in London, and can honestly say Bath has been fantastic in readying us for placement. In semester 2 next year, all my modules will be elective so I can completely tailor what I learn, from finance to marketing etc.

As a uni itself, it's great. It's got everything you need on campus, the library is fantastic, the students union is great, some hilarious nights out on campus (supplemented with clubs in town), the sport is to an incredibly high standard (I've just taken up rowing and have been welcomes despite having NO experience whatsoever haha) and there's a massive variety of students and cultures that you'll come across.

The city is GORGEOUS. Obviously the nightlife is nowhere near as good as bigger uni cities, but I think the trade off is worth it. It really is the most beautiful place I've lived, the shopping is fab.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
dvm
OP
Original post by BPreston
Currently in my first year of business administration at Bath, and it's fantastic. The course is as good as the rankings say: it is currently broad, giving us a foundation in the main principles, ranging from law, accounting, economics, group projects, corporate psychology etc, and next year in semester 1 it will be my first placement. I will be spending it at a hedge fund in London, and can honestly say Bath has been fantastic in readying us for placement. In semester 2 next year, all my modules will be elective so I can completely tailor what I learn, from finance to marketing etc.

As a uni itself, it's great. It's got everything you need on campus, the library is fantastic, the students union is great, some hilarious nights out on campus (supplemented with clubs in town), the sport is to an incredibly high standard (I've just taken up rowing and have been welcomes despite having NO experience whatsoever haha) and there's a massive variety of students and cultures that you'll come across.

The city is GORGEOUS. Obviously the nightlife is nowhere near as good as bigger uni cities, but I think the trade off is worth it. It really is the most beautiful place I've lived, the shopping is fab.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah, thanks for the detailed answer!
It's good that you can choose different modules. Yes, I've heard the placements are fantastic and that the course is very highly valued.
About nightlife, well I'm not really looking for incredible nightlife in Bath because I will be travelling to London every so often (for some weekends) so I guess it will work out anyway.
What worries me is that getting in is really, really hard. THere's only 60 places and it's hard to get an offer.
May I ask what your predictions were and what offer you got?
Thanks!
Reply 11
For my course it's slightly different, as there are 160 places as it's the course that they've done for a while! Your course is brand new for this coming academic year which is fantastic. Essentially they're in the process of building not only a new gigantic building to house the department of management because of the new courses (looks awesome, I walk past it on the way to the gym), but also 2 new huge accommodation blocks so that they can take on 750 new students next year - I wouldn't think about the number of places on the course, if you're considering bath then it means you've probably got the grades!

I took a gap year when I applied, so I had all of my grades when it came to submitting my UCAS application. I got A in maths, A in business, A in art and an A in the EPQ. I applied around the end of September (was also applying to oxford) and bath was the first uni to get back to me, after two weeks they gave me an unconditional offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
dvm
OP
Original post by BPreston
For my course it's slightly different, as there are 160 places as it's the course that they've done for a while! Your course is brand new for this coming academic year which is fantastic. Essentially they're in the process of building not only a new gigantic building to house the department of management because of the new courses (looks awesome, I walk past it on the way to the gym), but also 2 new huge accommodation blocks so that they can take on 750 new students next year - I wouldn't think about the number of places on the course, if you're considering bath then it means you've probably got the grades!

I took a gap year when I applied, so I had all of my grades when it came to submitting my UCAS application. I got A in maths, A in business, A in art and an A in the EPQ. I applied around the end of September (was also applying to oxford) and bath was the first uni to get back to me, after two weeks they gave me an unconditional offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, well that's great! I really hope I get an offer, because from what I've heard it is not just great as a uni, but also very good in terms of possibilities and future employment.
I'm not planning on taking a gap year, but I am looking forward to hearing from Bath.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending