The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whilst it has taken a little bit of a dip in domestic league tables in the last few years, a lot of older people will still consider it one of the best in Britain. It's one of the most well known British universities abroad and was still very recently the most targeted university amongst the Times Top 100 employers.
Is it more prestigious than Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham?
Reply 3
Original post by honeyandlemon

they're all great unis but it depends what subject you want to do
The idea of Physics at Manchester makes my mind implode.
Reply 5
Very prestigious. Not Oxbridge, but still a extremely reputable University.
Reply 6

Yep.
Prestigious in the sense of reputability as it's RG. Although other universities are starting to exceed it in rankings.
Original post by the mezzil
Yep.

Well, that is certainly subjective and dependant on OP's course.
Reply 9
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Well, that is certainly subjective and dependant on OP's course.

Are you saying Manchester isn't prestigious?
Original post by the mezzil
Are you saying Manchester isn't prestigious?

No.
Reply 11
Original post by frogs r everywhere
No.

Its prestigious in the sense that most people outside of Britain will have heard of Manchester because of ManU and City, but reputation wise, its all right nothing spectacular. I would wager that it has a much better research reputation than it does as an undergraduate teaching institution.

Yes it is more prestigious than Birmingham, Leeds or Nottingham. Outside of Britain no one has heard of Leeds or Nottingham, whereas Manchester will get by on the fame of the football teams.
how about better than bristol. I think they have high grade requirements to make it seem like it's better than it is.
Reply 13
Original post by Guy Secretan
how about better than bristol. I think they have high grade requirements to make it seem like it's better than it is.

To be honest, if a university isn't as good as it actually is, it wouldn't be able to have high grade requirements.

Bristol used to be a better than it is today, its still a great university and harder to get into than Manchester, but in terms of worldwide reputation, Manchester wins and mostly because of Manchester United and City.
I'd say Bristol is more prestigious than Manchester certainly.

I know everyone gets so pissed off at these threads, but is anyone up for maybe putting the top 30 unis in order?
It is among the best all round research universities in the world, it is a proper university with a lot of history.

I always find it funny that its performance on domestic league tables is so pedestrian, it just shows how poor these tables are.
Reply 16
How prestigious is Manchester uni?

A better question is how high is its reputation. Very high. You wouldn't think it looking at the domestic tables which to be honest are a load of crap and place emphasis on rubbish factors like student satisfaction or faculty to student ratio etc.

Internationally it is viewed a strong university especially for postgraduate study as shown by its research output and the fact faculty conducting research there have won Nobel Prizes.

But is it PRESTIGIOUS? I.e. is a worldwide brand that EVERYONE in every corner of the world knows, that's produced world leaders, CEOs, Nobel Laureates (most of the ones Manchester are associated with studied elsewhere), is it the place people dream of attending or have sent generations of their families to? No.

In terms of worldwide prestige it does not come close to the likes of Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, MIT, Caltech and then places like Berkeley, Cornell, Columbia, UPenn, Chicago, Brown, Dartmouth.

Future PMs, Presidents, CEOs in Silicon Valley, The City, Wall Street etc....... they go to one of the places mentioned above namely Oxbridge, HYP, MIT or Stanford. Not Manchester.

So Manchester is a great university but it has nothing over Oxbridge or the LSE or Imperial or even UCL or King's College London. Edinburgjh has a slightly higher reputation.

But Manchester may get there one day.........probably not. But it's a good solid university for people who may not be good enough to get into Oxbridge or Ivy League or some of the other higher ranked places and still want a decent education to have some credibility on their CVs.
Reply 17
Original post by ukmed108
Its prestigious in the sense that most people outside of Britain will have heard of Manchester because of ManU and City, but reputation wise, its all right nothing spectacular. I would wager that it has a much better research reputation than it does as an undergraduate teaching institution.

Yes it is more prestigious than Birmingham, Leeds or Nottingham. Outside of Britain no one has heard of Leeds or Nottingham, whereas Manchester will get by on the fame of the football teams.

There was a time Bristol and Nottingham were considered the prime alternatives to Oxbridge and essentially 2nd best option (not withstanding Imperial, LSE and UCL and Durham). I think the term "green welly" universities used to be banded around.

Bristol and Nottingham are still highly regarded. I consider them more academic particularly at the undergraduate level than Manchester.

Out of the group of the "not so special" RGs i.e. Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Cardiff, Belfast, Southampton, Queen Mary,

there is not much to chose from those as they are all pretty much the same in terms of environment, reputation, outlook etc. None of those places would be considered special.

Also in terms of prestige we should be looking at research output and if so there are very prestigious institutions who don't appear in any silly rankings but are considered world class like the LSHTM, RCM, RVC, St George's London, London Business School. Anyone in the know in those respective fields has heard of those places and they produce leaders in their respective fields.

Manchester is certainly the best of a bad bunch, the flower that sprouted from a pot of dirt as it were.
Original post by ukmed108

The Nottingham campus in China wouldn't have anything to do with the high number or oriental students at Nottingham would it? Or have they randomly turned up in the Midlands...
Reply 19
Original post by Soft Cat
There was a time Bristol and Nottingham were considered the prime alternatives to Oxbridge and essentially 2nd best option (not withstanding Imperial, LSE and UCL and Durham). I think the term "green welly" universities used to be banded around.

Bristol and Nottingham are still highly regarded. I consider them more academic particularly at the undergraduate level than Manchester.

Out of the group of the "not so special" RGs i.e. Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Cardiff, Belfast, Southampton, Queen Mary,

there is not much to chose from those as they are all pretty much the same in terms of environment, reputation, outlook etc. None of those places would be considered special.

Also in terms of prestige we should be looking at research output and if so there are very prestigious institutions who don't appear in any silly rankings but are considered world class like the LSHTM, RCM, RVC, St George's London, London Business School. Anyone in the know in those respective fields has heard of those places and they produce leaders in their respective fields.

Manchester is certainly the best of a bad bunch, the flower that sprouted from a pot of dirt as it were.

SGUL actually isn't world class by any means, but i agree with the rest on the list.

Latest

Trending

Trending