The Student Room Group

Muslim students at Queen Mary calling for a ‘right to pray’

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Iqbal007
The ígnorance ís unbelíevable.......many people donate based on some common background such as the area, famíly, faíth or where ever they want to donate, ís theír money not yours. Secondly "fund the ongoíg wars", so donatíng to help the refugees, gíve them food, medícíne, etc is now fundíng a war1 :facepalm::
there is much debate as to where this money goes to - and much suggestion a lot ends up paying for guns and bombs, thereby fueling deaths there. there is no common background from most muslims in uk and Iraq/Syria etc, apart from an Islamic agenda, or specifically in Syria, a sunni islam agenda to kill shia muslims.

haha díd you even reads what goíng, ís símple, they want to book a hall for use on a fríday so the Muslíms students can pray :rolleyes: whích they got:
in islam Friday is a day for prayer, in the quran muslims are told to leave all other business after their call to prayer. so for an actual practicing muslims they should be going to their mosques on Friday, not gogin to university and then lobbying for a room. they are being hypocrites. if their argument was to practice their religion, they have the freedom to go to a mosque on a Friday, a number of which are in east London near the uni. In most actual Islamic countries, everything but the mosque is closed on Friday for this reason.
I can't believe this ****e is still going on. I really don't see the issue in allowing Muslims to use rooms that would otherwise be empty to pray one day a week for a poxy hour.

Original post by Info.
a tiny proportion of muslims in uk are from Palestine, Iraq and Syria. But most uk muslims donate their money to those places, to fund the ongoig wars. whereas many millions more die of malnutrition in the African countries I previously mentioned, and they don't really care. So as I said, don't try and paint a picture islam is concerned about people, its primary concern is promoting islamic causes first and foremost. and in respect to university, Islamic groups priority is not for muslims to become educated, but to argue for more mosques etc.

That money goes to relief, there are tonnes of awesome causes out there where 100% of the donation goes to those in need of it. People actually volunteer and pay the money of their backs to go out and help innocent people injured in bombs and drone attacks for free. These people actually risk their lives and some die in the process (you may have seen this reported in the news). Can you say the same about any other charities? :smile:
Original post by Info.
there is much debate as to where this money goes to - and much suggestion a lot ends up paying for guns and bombs, thereby fueling deaths there. there is no common background from most muslims in uk and Iraq/Syria etc, apart from an Islamic agenda, or specifically in Syria, a sunni islam agenda to kill shia muslims.

:rofl: It's actually quite black and white......the proper Charities like Islamic relief are well known to the government, the bloody governments gives them their own AID money, they clearly transparent they have their own teams, they are there on the ground. Yes there is, the commong ground of being Muslim, the common ground of helping those in need.
haha You clearly have no idea whats going on, a oppressive regime run a small group of people...........you also do realise that the "Alawites"are not considered Muslims, even the Shia's have outcasted them. This is a fight between the people and the government.

in islam Friday is a day for prayer, in the quran muslims are told to leave all other business after their call to prayer. so for an actual practicing muslims they should be going to their mosques on Friday, not gogin to university and then lobbying for a room. they are being hypocrites. if their argument was to practice their religion, they have the freedom to go to a mosque on a Friday, a number of which are in east London near the uni. In most actual Islamic countries, everything but the mosque is closed on Friday for this reason.

Read the thread, the most convenient mosque has no space, and there is nothing wrong with praying elsewhere, the point is to pray together. and :rofl:, I hadn't realised "Islamic" countries existed, because they don't, the only reason these majority muslim countries have a day off is so that people go on a friday to prayer and work, etc doesn't get in the way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 323
Original post by Ayesha1234
I can't believe this ****e is still going on. I really don't see the issue in allowing Muslims to use rooms that would otherwise be empty to pray one day a week for a poxy hour.

That money goes to relief, there are tonnes of awesome causes out there where 100% of the donation goes to those in need of it. People actually volunteer and pay the money of their backs to go out and help innocent people injured in bombs and drone attacks for free. These people actually risk their lives and some die in the process (you may have seen this reported in the news). Can you say the same about any other charities? :smile:
of course I can - charities such as red cross, wateraid, Oxfam, save the children etc all have been going to warzones for decades to help people - but they do so on basis of need not following some Islamic agendas. You may forget that many western charity givers went to Iraq and were kidnapped and killed by islamic rebels.
the qmul prayer room issue is a contrived one - their spokesman has said unable to establish their religious obligation on time and with ease due to insufficient space fro Friday prayers" - this is false because the Islamic obligation is actually to abstain from everything except prayer from the call to prayer on Friday, so they should be going to mosque on the Friday anyway - if they were geneuinely adhering to religious obligation
Reply 324
Read the thread, the most convenient mosque has no space, and there is nothing wrong with praying elsewhere, the point is to pray together. and :rofl:, I hadn't realised "Islamic" countries existed, because they don't, the only reason these majority muslim countries have a day off is so that people go on a friday to prayer and work, etc doesn't get in the way.

East London is full of mosques, it is the most muslim areas of London - that is a false excuse.
countries that are governed by islamic law unlike the uk, semantics will go you nowhere in debate. saudi Arabia ( as in most of the arab peninsula countries) give all muslims a public holiday on Friday so they can go to there mosque of choice. equally muslims here have the opportunity to go to any mosque of their choice on a Friday if indeed 'religious obligation of islam' is their genuine motivation
Original post by Info.
of course I can - charities such as red cross, wateraid, Oxfam, save the children etc all have been going to warzones for decades to help people - but they do so on basis of need not following some Islamic agendas. You may forget that many western charity givers went to Iraq and were kidnapped and killed by islamic rebels.
the qmul prayer room issue is a contrived one - their spokesman has said unable to establish their religious obligation on time and with ease due to insufficient space fro Friday prayers" - this is false because the Islamic obligation is actually to abstain from everything except prayer from the call to prayer on Friday, so they should be going to mosque on the Friday anyway - if they were geneuinely adhering to religious obligation

A large percentage of the donation goes to administrations costs (including healthy salaries for those at the top) though, and there have been many documented cases where aid workers have abused their position etc. If so called "Islamic agenda" helps people how is that a bad thing? Do you think aid workers have the time and resources to preach the qur'an in war torn areas where people are dying every few seconds?

Islamic rebels hardly represent the entire religion.

I don't see the point you're trying to make in the final bit of your post.
Original post by Info.
East London is full of mosques, it is the most muslim areas of London - that is a false excuse.
countries that are governed by islamic law unlike the uk, semantics will go you nowhere in debate. saudi Arabia ( as in most of the arab peninsula countries) give all muslims a public holiday on Friday so they can go to there mosque of choice. equally muslims here have the opportunity to go to any mosque of their choice on a Friday if indeed 'religious obligation of islam' is their genuine motivation

:rofl: Clearly you have never been there..........we are talking about Queen Mary, there is only One mosque which is near enough for easy accessibility, however even then on a friday it can't accomodate us, the mosques in east london are overflowing, they can't even accomodate the locals for friday prayers. Read the thread, because answers have already been given.

haha labelling something "Islamic" means complete submission to the way the country is run, how many do that? answer is 0, there would be a elected caliphate, there would be no border controls for Muslims, etc no country does that, its píck and choose, hence its not Islamic.
You are not serious are you :facepalm: Read the thread before writíng of why they want a hall to avalíable for bookíng.
Reply 327
Original post by Ayesha1234
A large percentage of the donation goes to administrations costs (including healthy salaries for those at the top) though, and there have been many documented cases where aid workers have abused their position etc. If so called "Islamic agenda" helps people how is that a bad thing? Do you think aid workers have the time and resources to preach the qur'an in war torn areas where people are dying every few seconds?

Islamic rebels hardly represent the entire religion.

I don't see the point you're trying to make in the final bit of your post.
I don't agree with selective charity - its like in aprthied south Africa there were charities that gave only to white causes, never to black people. tha 2nd paragraph was pointing out the qmul protestors were making false statements ie that they were obligated to prayer ina room at the uni for 1 hour. they are not - they are obligated in islam to save Friday for prayers , so they should be going to mosque on Friday, not lobbying qmul for special treatment ( if they were actually following their faith)
Original post by Info.
I don't agree with selective charity - its like in aprthied south Africa there were charities that gave only to white causes, never to black people. tha 2nd paragraph was pointing out the qmul protestors were making false statements ie that they were obligated to prayer ina room at the uni for 1 hour. they are not - they are obligated in islam to save Friday for prayers , so they should be going to mosque on Friday, not lobbying qmul for special treatment ( if they were actually following their faith)

How is it selective? You do realise aid isn't provided on the basis of your religion, everyone has access to the services these charities provide. They choose predominantly Muslim regions because they tend to be areas ignored by the West. do you know how many billions the US gives to sub Saharan Africa and how little development is achieved from this? Less than 1% if I recall correctly.

No, you're supposed to pray in a congregation lead by an imam not a mosque specifically.
Again look at whats bee told, even look at the written words of the local imams stating that they don't even have space for friday prayers.

Well if they have a Society, then they can book rooms, just like the ISOC can.:

I have read the post and I think most of what you're saying is utter rubbish.

From the fact you're insisting there is only one mosque within walking distance, when I have pointed out there are two near the bottom of Bancroft Road, I don't know how you're in a position to say they're full when you haven't even checked those two?

Jedi shouldn't being able to have a room for prayer and neither should Muslims nor any other religion. It's a university in a secular country. If you want you're religion to be prioritised study abroad in an Islamic country. No religion, be it Islam or Christianity or whatever religion should be accommodated for in a time when public funding is so limited that it could be better spent elsewhere. Could you imagine if I demanded a space to pray for in a highly Islamic country like Iran?

Before you spout off on nonsense that I'm racist, that too is rubbish. I have two close friends who are Muslim. I'm highly supportive of Muslims being able to practise their faith but common sense needs to prevail here.

Get off your backside and walk to the bottom of Bancroft Road.
Original post by Britishstudent
I have read the post and I think most of what you're saying is utter rubbish.

:rolleyes:

From the fact you're insisting there is only one mosque within walking distance, when I have pointed out there are two near the bottom of Bancroft Road, I don't know how you're in a position to say they're full when you haven't even checked those two?

I go to QM, I got to these prayers, i know which ones are in walking distance......and yes they are, the ISOC has even spoke to numerous mosques and confirmation that they are full on fridays and hence cannot accomodate the Muslims student at QM let alone their own community.

Jedi shouldn't being able to have a room for prayer and neither should Muslims nor any other religion. It's a university in a secular country. If you want you're religion to be prioritised study abroad in an Islamic country. No religion, be it Islam or Christianity or whatever religion should be accommodated for in a time when public funding is so limited that it could be better spent elsewhere. Could you imagine if I demanded a space to pray for in a highly Islamic country like Iran?

The UK isn't a proper secular country per-say, the uni itself has to look after the welfare students. You go for it then.

Before you spout off on nonsense that I'm racist, that too is rubbish. I have two close friends who are Muslim. I'm highly supportive of Muslims being able to practise their faith but common sense needs to prevail here.

Get off your backside and walk to the bottom of Bancroft Road.

I hadn't realise being Muslim was a race :facepalm: wow really? you got two Muslim friends, so if I got black friends does that mean I can offensive as I want :rolleyes:
And lastly the issue has been resolved, if you got a problem then go campaign against religious societies having prayer rooms and being able to book rooms.
(edited 10 years ago)
"but the university has refused this as the room is in use. The society is sceptical of this claim." Calling bull on this. Either it's in use or it's not.
Original post by Unkempt_One
"but the university has refused this as the room is in use. The society is sceptical of this claim." Calling bull on this. Either it's in use or it's not.

It was found it was not always being used or not properly, based on spot checks, etc..............also what was found was some sort of dodgyness in the change of rules for the booking of the same halls which previously could be booked, the university said it was a "admin error" hence why societies couldn't book them for use.

The SU has begun a audit into the usage of available space at QM, lecture theaters, seminar rooms, halls, etc looking into the efficiency of room usage, etc and if the space at QM is actually being used properly and try to book the free rooms out properly for more society usage. It's ongoing, they haven't finished.
Original post by Info.
a tiny proportion of muslims in uk are from Palestine, Iraq and Syria. But most uk muslims donate their money to those places, to fund the ongoig wars. whereas many millions more die of malnutrition in the African countries I previously mentioned, and they don't really care. So as I said, don't try and paint a picture islam is concerned about people, its primary concern is promoting islamic causes first and foremost. and in respect to university, Islamic groups priority is not for muslims to become educated, but to argue for more mosques etc.

Very interesting point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hadn't realise being Muslim was a race :facepalm: wow really? you got two Muslim friends, so if I got black friends does that mean I can offensive as I want :rolleyes:
And lastly the issue has been resolved, if you got a problem then go campaign against religious societies having prayer rooms and being able to book rooms.

When did I ever say Islam was a race? Can a country in itself have a religious characteristic? Italy is a Christian country. Israel is a Jewish country. This really does prove the point that people just jump on the race card whenever they get a chance.

You still haven't told me why you couldn't have gone to the two mosques at the bottom of Bancroft Road. You don't know they're full because you didn't know they existed until I pointed them out.
Original post by Pessimisterious
Totally illogical argument.

I was at the pub last week. There was no space. That is a fact.

Therefore Queen Mary University London should provide extra drinking space on campus.

THAT is what your argument sounds like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great example to compare wíth :rolleyes:
Well the issue has ended, ÍSOC can book the halls, so debate all you want.

Oh really? well great analogy based on my argument :rolleyes:

oh really, wow no supporting evidence or the likes, well keep up with makíng assumptions :bebored:

Oh really? well great analogy based on my argument :rolleyes:

oh really, wow no supporting evidence or the likes, well keep up with makíng assumptions :bebored:

This guy's analogy was absolutely right. Just replying with sarcasm to him and petty references to his lack of 'likes' is really quite poor and makes your argument look very weak too. You haven't said why his analogy is wrong just like you haven't answered to me why you can't go to the two mosques at the bottom of Bancroft Road that you were unaware of.
Reply 336
WHAT?! Some of my replies to Iqbal077 were removed? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
When did I ever say Islam was a race? Can a country in itself have a religious characteristic? Italy is a Christian country. Israel is a Jewish country. This really does prove the point that people just jump on the race card whenever they get a chance.

You still haven't told me why you couldn't have gone to the two mosques at the bottom of Bancroft Road. You don't know they're full because you didn't know they existed until I pointed them out.

You stated "Before you call me racist"........even though you weren't and tried to generalise Muslims into a race group.
It's really not........you could say they are a Muslim country, but stating Islamic means a direct connotation with Islam, so it cannot be pick and choose. Israel is very secular.

I do know they existed :rolleyes: but no one from the university uses them because they are placed far too inconveniently and I have reiterated the evidence from the ISOC which went and talked to these mosques directly of which they stated that they cannot cope at the moment let alone with us as well.

This guy's analogy was absolutely right. Just replying with sarcasm to him and petty references to his lack of 'likes' is really quite poor and makes your argument look very weak too. You haven't said why his analogy is wrong just like you haven't answered to me why you can't go to the two mosques at the bottom of Bancroft Road that you were unaware of.

:facepalm: You serious, comparing two hugely different matters, one a social matter to that of a religious obligation, plus its unrelated because they are talking about a Official society of the university which is asking to be able to book a hall.
And I did, I also stated you to Read the thread because you would have read the answer to why they can't use local mosques :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
You stated "Before you call me racist"........even though you weren't and tried to generalise Muslims into a race group.
It's really not........you could say they are a Muslim country, but stating Islamic means a direct connotation with Islam, so it cannot be pick and choose. Israel is very secular.

I do know they existed :rolleyes: but no one from the university uses them because they are placed far too inconveniently and I have reiterated the evidence from the ISOC which went and talked to these mosques directly of which they stated that they cannot cope at the moment let alone with us as well.

:facepalm: You serious, comparing two hugely different matters, one a social matter to that of a religious obligation, plus its unrelated because they are talking about a Official society of the university which is asking to be able to book a hall.
And I did, I also stated you to Read the thread because you would have read the answer to why they can't use local mosques :rolleyes:

Read the thread yourself because I have acknowledged your argument but dismiss it. They are 'placed far too inconveniently' - really?! Google Maps says it is a 13 minute walk. Laziness. :rolleyes:

Why are you saying you knew they were there when you have said several times there is only one within walking distance? I think you just made that up :rolleyes:

Stop referring me to read the thread, because I have read the thread and you are consistently arguing that there is only one mosque when there are three within walking distance.

Why is it a different matter? Your previous argument was that religion makes up a large part of student welfare and lifestyle? I think that drinking and socialising at bars and pubs is equally as large a part of a student lifestyle. Why should one part of welfare be prioritised over another? If I set up a drinking society, should we be able to prevail over common sense to and book a hall to drink in?
Read the thread yourself because I have acknowledged your argument but dismiss it. They are 'placed far too inconveniently' - really?! Google Maps says it is a 13 minute walk. Laziness. :rolleyes:

You really dídn't........you completely ígnored the other reason whích ís ÍSOC having already talked to them, to be told that they cannot accomodate them as they are already overcrowded.

Why are you saying you knew they were there when you have said several times there is only one within walking distance? I think you just made that up :rolleyes:

There ís only one whích ís convíent enough for students to go to, whích ís ríght next to the campus, 13 míns there and back ís nearly half an hour wasted.

Stop referring me to read the thread, because I have read the thread and you are consistently arguing that there is only one mosque when there are three within walking distance.

Why is it a different matter? Your previous argument was that religion makes up a large part of student welfare and lifestyle? I think that drinking and socialising at bars and pubs is equally as large a part of a student lifestyle. Why should one part of welfare be prioritised over another? If I set up a drinking society, should we be able to prevail over common sense to and book a hall to drink in?

It clearly is very different, religious stuff affects a students welfare whereas drinking does not, not to mention that students would be in uni while drunk. Another thing is that Drapers Bar is available on campus and has more than enough space and meets the demand of students.
Erm no you can't, because that would go agaínst uníversíty polícy :rolleyes:

If you really want to debate this, go debate at the council meetings at QM, because the íssue has been addressed and sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending