The Student Room Group

In what circumstances do people receive unconditional offers?

I've heard a lot of different things about unconditional offers and I'm a bit confused. Some people have said that getting one is pretty much unheard of if you're in Year 13 and haven't completed your A Levels yet, and it's usually only people who've already got their A Level results who get them, such as if they've taken a gap year and have deferred entry. Having said that though, I know people who haven't completed their A Levels who've received unconditional offers, so I was wondering what exactly is it that would convince a university to give one? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DayDreamer1403
I've heard a lot of different things about unconditional offers and I'm a bit confused. Some people have said that getting one is pretty much unheard of if you're in Year 13 and haven't completed your A Levels yet, and it's usually only people who've already got their A Level results who get them, such as if they've taken a gap year and have deferred entry. Having said that though, I know people who haven't completed their A Levels who've received unconditional offers, so I was wondering what exactly is it that would convince a university to give one? Thanks :smile:

Generally what you've said is correct, but Birmingham and Leicester (and possibly more I've not heard about) seem to have taken to giving out a few unconditional offers, or some that are technically "conditional" but become unconditional if set as a firm choice.
Only certain universities give them out if you're still studying your A2s; Birmingham and Leicester are the only ones I know of that do it, though I'm sure there's probably a few others. There's nothing you can do to 'convince' them, per say; I've recently received an unconditional offer from Birmingham for English and I'm in year 13. I got AAABB in my AS-Levels, I'm predicted A*AA and study English Literature, History, Psychology and an EPQ. Admittedly, I've had a fair amount of experience (writing competitions, working at Elle magazine etc). Above all, I'd say it depends on where you apply and how capable you seem to be, though obviously academic achievements thus far and predictions help a lot. I know that Birmingham target A*AA students, though I know someone who has an unconditional with a prediction of AAA. Also, it's worth remembering that all unconditional offers that are given out are only unconditional if you put it as your firm choice. I hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Generally what you've said is correct, but Birmingham and Leicester (and possibly more I've not heard about) seem to have taken to giving out a few unconditional offers, or some that are technically "conditional" but become unconditional if set as a firm choice.

Original post by allyleeboone
I hope that helps! :smile:

Ahh I see! That's really helpful, thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Also, it's worth remembering that most of the unconditional offers that are given out are only unconditional if you put it as your firm choice - I know mine is.

All unconditional offers are only unconditional if you firm them. You can't have one as your insurance.
Original post by Damask-
All unconditional offers are only unconditional if you firm them. You can't have one as your insurance.

Ah, I didn't know that. I stand corrected!
Also, it's worth remembering that all unconditional offers that are given out are only unconditional if you put it as your firm choice. I hope that helps! :smile:

Original post by Damask-

You've not exactly made this clear.

An "unconditional offer", ie. it says "unconditional" on UCAS, can be set as either a firm choice or an insurance choice. If your firm choice is unconditional you can't have an insurance choice of any sort. You can however have a conditional firm and an unconditional insurance.

What one or two unis are doing (either Leicester or Birmingham, I forget which exactly) is giving what is technically a "conditional offer", but stating in the conditions that it becomes unconditional if you put it as your firm choice. These can be put as your insurance choice, but they won't be unconditional.
Birmingham's offer is only unconditional if firmed. But on another thread (I can't find it now) a couple of contributors said that their Leicester offer was still unconditional if used as insurance. I cannot verify this, but it would be worth checking.
Original post by Damask-

Yes you can. I had completed A-levels and got an unconditional because of this, so chose it as my insurance choice.

However, OP, there might be other reasons for unconditionals. A friend of mine received an unconditional for Optometry at Anglia Ruskin last year because she had worked in Specsavers for 2 years. Her work experience was vast enough in their opinion that they wanted her on the course above anyone else, basically. She was in year 13.
Reply 9
Birmingham were giving out unconditionals for economics last year if you firmed them.
Reply 10
Birmingham sometimes gives out unconditional if you out them as your firm choice (they explain this if is the case though).

Leicester give out unconditional in some cases, with no requirement to put them as their firm.

I know of one other (Aberystwyth) which gives out unconditional's if you sit a scholarship exam, which also gives you money.
Only certain universities give them out if you're still studying your A2s; Birmingham and Leicester are the only ones I know of that do it, though I'm sure there's probably a few others. There's nothing you can do to 'convince' them, per say; I've recently received an unconditional offer from Birmingham for English and I'm in year 13. I got AAABB in my AS-Levels, I'm predicted A*AA and study English Literature, History, Psychology and an EPQ. Admittedly, I've had a fair amount of experience (writing competitions, working at Elle magazine etc). Above all, I'd say it depends on where you apply and how capable you seem to be, though obviously academic achievements thus far and predictions help a lot. I know that Birmingham target A*AA students, though I know someone who has an unconditional with a prediction of AAA. Also, it's worth remembering that all unconditional offers that are given out are only unconditional if you put it as your firm choice. I hope that helps! :smile:

Hi,
firstly, can I just say that's a killer set of AS results! I'm applying to read English this year as well, though Birmingham isn't one of my five choices. Based on a subject like English where I'm guessing the personal statement will have more bearing on the overall decision as opposed to your average science, or even other humanities degree. I was wondering just how much of a factor the personal statement would be the holistic approach that many Admissions teams now seem to take.
Cheers
-Nige
When it comes to Scottish students applying to universities here in Scotland, it's quite common to see unconditional offers being given out, given that entrance to university is based upon the results achieved in exams taken at the end of Year 12. :smile:
Reply 13
I know some guy who received an unconditional to study Law at UCL

He was a mature student (was 26) and came to college to study a levels in 1 year. He was very clever though and went to a grammar school.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
When it comes to Scottish students applying to universities here in Scotland, it's quite common to see unconditional offers being given out, given that entrance to university is based upon the results achieved in exams taken at the end of Year 12. :smile:

A benefit of the Scottish system! :smile:
Nottingham's giving out unconditionals this year too! My friend got it in French and another businessy subject
Reply 16
Original post by DayDreamer1403

When I was in year 13, a girl in my class got an unconditional from Sussex. I guess the admissions officers were just very impressed by her AS marks and her personal statement, along with her work experience and extra-curricular efforts
Original post by PretzelLogic
Hi,
firstly, can I just say that's a killer set of AS results! I'm applying to read English this year as well, though Birmingham isn't one of my five choices. Based on a subject like English where I'm guessing the personal statement will have more bearing on the overall decision as opposed to your average science, or even other humanities degree. I was wondering just how much of a factor the personal statement would be the holistic approach that many Admissions teams now seem to take.
Cheers
-Nige

Hi! Thank you - good luck with all of your choices. Obviously I'm no expert but for a subject like English, I think that the personal statement is not only a display of your academic knowledge and extracurricular experiences, but a demonstration that you are a competent writer, given that the subject is largely essay-based. I believe that it is highly likely that English admissions tutors would judge your ability to form, structure and edit your personal statement, which forms a part of their final decision of whether or not to make you an offer, however obviously academic achievements thus far are hugely important in this decision also. For pretty much all universities, it's their only chance to see your written capabilities and therefore, in my opinion, hugely important, though I speak as an amateur and only for the subject of English.

With regards to their unconditional offer scheme and in response to the question, How do you choose which applicants receive an unconditional offer? on their website, Birmingham answered: "We are choosing applicants with the best academic profile in terms of achieved and predicted academic success. We are looking for outstanding applicants whom we can be confident will make a significant contribution to the academic work of the University. The criteria for receiving an unconditional offer vary across the University, as different criteria are set for different programmes. However, each criteria will include a minimum GCSE and AS level attainment level as well as a minimum A level prediction threshold, in addition to an excellent personal statement and reference."

I hope that this helps you with your question :smile:
Reply 18
if your way above their requirements
Hi! Thank you - good luck with all of your choices. Obviously I'm no expert but for a subject like English, I think that the personal statement is not only a display of your academic knowledge and extracurricular experiences, but a demonstration that you are a competent writer, given that the subject is largely essay-based. I believe that it is highly likely that English admissions tutors would judge your ability to form, structure and edit your personal statement, which forms a part of their final decision of whether or not to make you an offer, however obviously academic achievements thus far are hugely important in this decision also. For pretty much all universities, it's their only chance to see your written capabilities and therefore, in my opinion, hugely important, though I speak as an amateur and only for the subject of English.

With regards to their unconditional offer scheme and in response to the question, How do you choose which applicants receive an unconditional offer? on their website, Birmingham answered: "We are choosing applicants with the best academic profile in terms of achieved and predicted academic success. We are looking for outstanding applicants whom we can be confident will make a significant contribution to the academic work of the University. The criteria for receiving an unconditional offer vary across the University, as different criteria are set for different programmes. However, each criteria will include a minimum GCSE and AS level attainment level as well as a minimum A level prediction threshold, in addition to an excellent personal statement and reference."

I hope that this helps you with your question :smile:

Thanks! That was immensely helpful! My Classics Teacher said more or less the same so I did take ample time writing mine with an endless number of redrafts haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending