The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone heard from Reading yet? If so what have you applied for and when did you submit your application? I'm desperate to hear from them!!

Have an interview at Canterbury for Secondary History next Wednesday 18th :smile:
Original post by ballroombabe
Has anyone heard from Reading yet? If so what have you applied for and when did you submit your application? I'm desperate to hear from them!!

Have an interview at Canterbury for Secondary History next Wednesday 18th :smile:

I have a primary interview at Reading next Tuesday. Sent my applicant on 26th and heard back on 4th :smile:
Hope you hear back soon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3202
Hi All,

I am hoping to apply for 2014 PGCE, however, I have only been able to get work experience for March 2014. Will I be too late to apply straight after for September 2014? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply 3203
Original post by firegalley246
Quick question - anyone applying for Secondary Maths at King's College London, The Institute of Education or Goldsmiths (or anything related)? Do you know how late (up to christmas) and how early (after christmas) the interviews will take place?

My supervisor just surprised me by doing his reference, so I can finally send off my application, but I feel like if I have an interview before christmas, I'm going to be a bit underprepared!

Most of the Goldsmiths interviews (for all subjects) are this week and next, with a few scattered dates in January. I've got mine (for primary) today! I would definitely send it off - much better that you get it in before the interview days fill up (even if you are a little underprepared) than miss out! Send it!
Reply 3204
Just wondering whether anyone is interviewing at Roehampton next Wednesday 18th??!!!

Good luck with all your interviews!!
Original post by Airfairy

I asked about this earlier on and turns out it is actually for them to interview and give you a decision as well!

Wow, really?! That's super quick, and kinda scary!
Original post by thomasawdry
Wow congrats on your offer! Did you have an interview? If IOE is your first choice I'd accept :smile:

Is this to me lol? If it is, yes I had an interview on Thursday and got the offer the next day. I don't think you can get an offer without an interview! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jo_Marie
Just wondering whether anyone is interviewing at Roehampton next Wednesday 18th??!!!

Good luck with all your interviews!!

What's that for? I applied to a school direct course through Roehampton but still waiting to hear back. How long did they take to reply to you? :smile:
Reply 3208
Skills tests today. =/ Genuinely very nervous about the maths one as I haven't had sufficient time to revise much, and only just passed on the mock last night. Anyone have any specific tips for it? Peachy keen for literacy considering I'm an English student, but really going to struggle unless the maths questions are on the easy side. It's just the silly mistakes that get me, not necessarily the knowledge. Eesh.

I'm plagued by the irritation of the time limit as well - I understand and agree that these skills will undoubtedly be useful in any teaching position, but when working out how much each kid will need to pay for this trip, or how many children are above average etc, we aren't going to have a ticking timer with us are we?! What is the point of the extra pressure - I agree there should be *some* measure of time so we aren't all sat there for two hours, but I cannot see the real point in creating a trap of time that causes stress and further anxiety. It doesn't 'enhance' your skills at all, it just puts you further at risk of making stupid mistakes and sets you up to do worse. In my opinion. =/
Original post by Esmeralda4
Wow, really?! That's super quick, and kinda scary!

Tell me about it! I still haven't heard from one of my choices and I applied on the 22nd November, so I'm expecting to either be rejected from them or have a really last min interview.
Original post by Pebbles19
I have a primary interview at Reading next Tuesday. Sent my applicant on 26th and heard back on 4th :smile:
Hope you hear back soon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Have they asked you to prepare anything for Reading? And how did they let you know? Just through track or the post? All my post is going to my home address so I have to keep calling my mum to get her to open my letters just in case :rolleyes::biggrin:
Reply 3211
What's that for? I applied to a school direct course through Roehampton but still waiting to hear back. How long did they take to reply to you? :smile:

I have applied for FT Primary PGCE. I was hoping some people on here would be going on the 18th as well, so far a lot of people seem to be interviewing on Monday 16th

My first interview is tomorrow though!!

One of my choices is the salaried School Direct, I have their interview on Friday 24th January!!

My whole application went off on Thursday 28th November, and I received interview offers about 5 days after that. I received my School direct interview offer last week Monday though so it does vary.

Where else have you applied?
Original post by Jo_Marie

I have applied for FT Primary PGCE. I was hoping some people on here would be going on the 18th as well, so far a lot of people seem to be interviewing on Monday 16th

My first interview is tomorrow though!!

One of my choices is the salaried School Direct, I have their interview on Friday 24th January!!

My whole application went off on Thursday 28th November, and I received interview offers about 5 days after that. I received my School direct interview offer last week Monday though so it does vary.

Where else have you applied?

I have an interview with Canterbury next week but I'm still waiting hear from Reading and Roehampton SD :s-smilie: I did only send the application on Wednesday night but the wait is killing me!!
Reply 3213
Original post by awe
Skills tests today. =/ Genuinely very nervous about the maths one as I haven't had sufficient time to revise much, and only just passed on the mock last night. Anyone have any specific tips for it? Peachy keen for literacy considering I'm an English student, but really going to struggle unless the maths questions are on the easy side. It's just the silly mistakes that get me, not necessarily the knowledge. Eesh.

I'm plagued by the irritation of the time limit as well - I understand and agree that these skills will undoubtedly be useful in any teaching position, but when working out how much each kid will need to pay for this trip, or how many children are above average etc, we aren't going to have a ticking timer with us are we?! What is the point of the extra pressure - I agree there should be *some* measure of time so we aren't all sat there for two hours, but I cannot see the real point in creating a trap of time that causes stress and further anxiety. It doesn't 'enhance' your skills at all, it just puts you further at risk of making stupid mistakes and sets you up to do worse. In my opinion. =/

:smile: GOOD LUCK for today!! I am sure you will be fine!

I am in exactly the same boat, literacy, I keep passing with flying coplours, though being a law grad, I would hope so too! :wink:

Maths on the other hand..............! OH MY GOD, 18 seconds to work out an answer and type it in, when the computer is slow as anything? Yeah right, the school I have been working with, the teacher doesn't even work out her answers, she just has them all on the mark sheet! And school trips? uh... the school office and business manager work all that out, what child is ever going to ask you those sorts of questions on the spot and in 18 seconds????

......mmmm well, I guess one thing is for sure, if you pass the skills and can do it under that pressure, then we all will be amazing teachers :smile:

Good luck again, let us know how it goes!
Reply 3214
I have an interview with Canterbury next week but I'm still waiting hear from Reading and Roehampton SD :s-smilie: I did only send the application on Wednesday night but the wait is killing me!!

I am sure you will be hearing soon, remember that school direct applications are likely to take longer, whereas in a University they will have ample admissions staff, at schools they need to get consideration from the headteachers and so it is understandably going to take a little longer, that and since you only sent it off on Wednesday, it has only been 4 working days for them to get to your application!!!

Trust me, having been there myself, as long as you wrote a well rounded personal statement I bet you will receive the call back. I know it's easier said then done, but when you stop refreshing your emails to check for an invite, suddenly when it does come, it will feel AMAZING!!! meanwhile, go make a cuppa and have some chocolate! :smile:
Thanks! Have they asked you to prepare anything for Reading? And how did they let you know? Just through track or the post? All my post is going to my home address so I have to keep calling my mum to get her to open my letters just in case :rolleyes::biggrin:

I had an email from them with the date and all the information. The only thing I have to prepare is a short presentation on a children's book but I'm guessing if you're doing secondary then it might be different.
Haha tell me about it I've just had an interview for Brunel rescheduled from next week to Thursday but the post still hasn't arrived so I have no idea what to expect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sk2684
Hi All,

I am hoping to apply for 2014 PGCE, however, I have only been able to get work experience for March 2014. Will I be too late to apply straight after for September 2014? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Honestly, it wouldn't be looking good :frown: Last year, I applied for primary to start in September 2013, but I didn't start my placement till February 2013, I didn't even get an interview for my choices, they just declined me straight away, as they like you to ALREADY have done your experience by the time you apply.

I know there were still university places through track for 2013 PGCE around june, but you don't want to just go to any uni, you want to go to the university of your choice.

If worse comes to worse, you'll just have to delay it for a year (same as me) and you know what, i'm so happy that I did. I've taken some time to concentrate on me, I have a full time job where i'm able to save money for when I hopefully start the course, and I feel so much more confident about aspects of teaching :smile:

Hope this helps :smile: x
How long on average does it take to receive acknowledgement from your choices please?
Reply 3218
Has anyone heard back from the University of Birmingham for Primary? I submitted my application 2 weeks ago and still nothing
Just got an interview at University of Leicester for upper primary. It's on the 18th December. Has anyone else?
I'm so nervous!

Latest

Trending

Trending