The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Delta, Δ
What do you mean by semi-structured? :smile:

They have a general structure that they aim to follow when they interview you, but they could end up spending longer and focusing on one thing than another depending on what you say. It's basically more like a friendly chat to get to know you rather than to test your knowledge
Original post by hjward
Not sure whether it will matter or anything, but would it be better to talk about having family in medicine and picking up things from them..? Or would it make them think you're doing medicine because you've been forced or pushed or whatever?

I have been told to avoid mentioning family. My parents are nurses and I've been told saying about family can make it seem they arranged your work experience and that you are being pushed so it's better to avoid it.
Original post by Rumschpringe
I was told that it would be 15 minutes long, but it definitely felt a lot shorter than that! I'm not sure how long it was exactly though.

As it's semi-structured, the length of interview could vary from 10 minutes to 25 minutes depending on what you talk about and what they decide to ask you- but it shouldn't mean anything!
My tour guide said hers was 25 minutes long, but apparently her friend's interview was much shorter, and they both got in. So don't worry about that :smile:

They told me they were running slightly late when I had mine
Can anyone help explaining the NHS reforms that have occurred recently?

Thanks!
Original post by Parle à ma main
Hi! Yes that's true currently- two days a week at hospital, and one day at GP. You're placed in one hospital in second year and all your placements are there.

Hello there,
it is true that there is a 16 week long placement in your 5th year?
Reply 545
Hello there,
it is true that there is a 16 week long placement in your 5th year?

Placement in what? GP?

There are several 7 week placements in 5th year. One of these includes GP and another A&E.

There are also two SAMP placements and another 'ward shadowing' placement.

There are GP placements throughout medical school as alluded to in the OP (every year inclusive of second year onwards).
Original post by Zyklos
Placement in what? GP?

There are several 7 week placements in 5th year. One of these includes GP and another A&E.

There are also two SAMP placements and another 'ward shadowing' placement.

There are GP placements throughout medical school as alluded to in the OP (every year inclusive of second year onwards).

Hello there, thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by underlined?
Thanks again :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 547
Hello there, thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by underlined?
Thanks again :smile:

Check the breakdown of the years in the OP.

There is a 6 week rotation at a GP practice in second year (you only go to GP thrice) and a further 6 week rotation in third year (you only go in 6 times). There is a year-long GP placement in fourth year whereby you go to GP once every other week. And as mentioned in my previous post, there is a 7 week rotation in fifth year where students go to GP ~3 times a week and are usually allowed to run side clinics and other smaller things by themselves.

GP placements at Liverpool are always linked with UCCT (community teaching sessions). How they are linked varies from year to year.
Original post by Zyklos
Check the breakdown of the years in the OP.

There is a 6 week rotation at a GP practice in second year (you only go to GP thrice) and a further 6 week rotation in third year (you only go in 6 times). There is a year-long GP placement in fourth year whereby you go to GP once every other week. And as mentioned in my previous post, there is a 7 week rotation in fifth year where students go to GP ~3 times a week and are usually allowed to run side clinics and other smaller things by themselves.

GP placements at Liverpool are always linked with UCCT (community teaching sessions). How they are linked varies from year to year.

I see, so does that mean that there is not a whole 1 year long work experience placement in the 2nd year?

And what do you mean by rotations?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 549
I see, so does that mean that there is not a whole 1 year long work experience placement in the 2nd year?

And what do you mean by rotations?

There is indeed a year-long placement (well essentially year-long) in second year. This is at a particular assigned hospital. The 6-week community (GP) placement comes on top of that sometime during the year depending on when you are assigned it.

rotation = placement essentially. Throughout medical school, you will experience different placements in different specialities. As these are placed in blocks of weeks and students can't all be on the same block at once, groups of students rotate through the various blocks over the year. For this reason, they are commonly referred to as rotations.
Original post by Zyklos
There is indeed a year-long placement (well essentially year-long) in second year. This is at a particular assigned hospital. The 6-week community (GP) placement comes on top of that sometime during the year depending on when you are assigned it.

rotation = placement essentially. Throughout medical school, you will experience different placements in different specialities. As these are placed in blocks of weeks and students can't all be on the same block at once, groups of students rotate through the various blocks over the year. For this reason, they are commonly referred to as rotations.

It seems that Liverpool does a lot of work experience placements and places a lot of emphasis on patient contact.

DO you have work experience placement over every year in the 5 years?

Thanks again! :-)
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi everyone, had my interview today!
Actually had a very nice time meeting everybody in the morning and on the tour so I definitely recommend staying for the tour as getting to chat to everyone was great.
My interviewers were lovely, tried to help me, what they say about Liverpool interviews is true.
Also if any of the Liverpool students on here know a second year medic called Mohammed who did the tour today, tell him he was very good and we're sorry we couldn't think of more questions!

I'm happy to answer anything within reason so fire away!
Original post by SimpsP
Hi everyone, had my interview today!
Actually had a very nice time meeting everybody in the morning and on the tour so I definitely recommend staying for the tour as getting to chat to everyone was great.
My interviewers were lovely, tried to help me, what they say about Liverpool interviews is true.
Also if any of the Liverpool students on here know a second year medic called Mohammed who did the tour today, tell him he was very good and we're sorry we couldn't think of more questions!

I'm happy to answer anything within reason so fire away!

Hey, nice to hear you had a good time! I've got mine in a couple days!

How long did your interview last? Do they ask a lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SinghShady
Hey, nice to hear you had a good time! I've got mine in a couple days!

How long did your interview last? Do they ask a lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See I don't really remember it was a bit of a blur but I think 10-15 minutes but it goes by in seconds.

They ask a fair few questions, I think it really depends on how much you waffle on at them!
Original post by SimpsP
See I don't really remember it was a bit of a blur but I think 10-15 minutes but it goes by in seconds.

They ask a fair few questions, I think it really depends on how much you waffle on at them!

I can imagine haha. Did you find the interview difficult or relatively straight forward?

Good luck btw, hope you get an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SinghShady
I can imagine haha. Did you find the interview difficult or relatively straight forward?

Good luck btw, hope you get an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Compared to what me and my friends have nicknamed 'the medicine interview olympics' aka Birmingham's MMI it was fairly straightforward. Most of the people I talked to agreed they seemed to really try to make it easier for you and didn't really ask trick qs.
Thanks! All the best for you too
Reply 556
I'm an international student and just got an interview! They actually hold interviews around the world! So they give a country near by hehehe. good luck everyone else waiting for interviews, they will arrive sooon! :smile:
Reply 557
Original post by madgene
I'm an international student and just got an interview! They actually hold interviews around the world! So they give a country near by hehehe. good luck everyone else waiting for interviews, they will arrive sooon! :smile:

Wow, congratulations! :smile: I'm an international applicant too, so I'm still waiting I guess hahaha. All the best for your interview!
(edited 10 years ago)
I just got an interview for next Wednesday, short notice but so happy :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Its the 18th at 12 noon better start cramming
Reply 559
Original post by szen95
Wow, congratulations! :smile: I'm an international applicant too, so I'm still waiting I guess hahaha. All the best for your interview!

Thank you :biggrin: hope you get one too! May I ask where you are from? :smile: I'm from Korea living in South East Asia :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending