The Student Room Group

I don't celebrate Christmas because I'm not a christian.

It makes me cringe when I see foreigners that are not christian get crazy over Christmas and talk about their plans on Christmas day and how they'll be eating turkey etc.

/Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

It's more of a seasonal event now for a lot of people.

Thats why some say "Happy Holidays"
Why does it make you cringe? On a global level Christmas has transcended its original meaning and is generally just a time for families to spend time with each other, get presents, and stuff their faces. What's not to like, whether you believe in God or not?
Reply 3
Actually Christmas was originally a Pagan celebration; Christians just decided to make it about Jesus.
Okay then ......
Reply 5
Meh, don't worry about it.
Reply 6
So edgey, so alternative, against the grain, thinking outside of the box.

1st world problems.
The Op doesn't celebrate christmas because she's a troll.
Christmas didn't even start with Christianity :yawn: It was originally pagan. And now it's something that people just celebrate to cheer themselves up in the middle of winter, nothing to do with Christianity anymore for a lot of people.
Reply 9
Original post by desdemonata
Christmas didn't even start with Christianity :yawn: It was originally pagan. And now it's something that people just celebrate to cheer themselves up in the middle of winter, nothing to do with Christianity anymore for a lot of people.

Why do pagans celebrate the birth of jesus?

honest question
How dare people eat turkey or make plans to spend time with family.
Reply 11
Original post by Red one

honest question

http://www.livescience.com/25779-christmas-traditions-history-paganism.html
Original post by Red one

honest question

If you'd used Google, you wouldn't have needed to ask this question.

Yuletide wasn't originally about Jesus. Christians just changed the name, they didn't even agree on the date of Christmas until something like the fourth century AD.

Not to mention the traditions of Christmas, gifts, food, and whatnot come from Roman celebrations. Christmas is just a mash-up of various things from pre-existing traditions.

Yuletide wasn't originally about Jesus. Christians just changed the name, they didn't even agree on the date of Christmas until something like the fourth century AD.

Not to mention the traditions of Christmas, gifts, food, and whatnot come from Roman celebrations. Christmas is just a mash-up of various things from pre-existing traditions.

I'm no fan of Red One, but any need to be a dick?
Reply 14

I don't really get what that has to do with this thread though. So Christmas is allegedly based on pagan traditions, now what? I don't really see many pagans or hear about people worshiping fire either but you're saying that the fact that it's not even a christian holiday means that anyone can celebrate it? Well, no I disagree.
Original post by L'orealformen
I'm no fan of Red One, but any need to be a dick?

How is that being a dick? :confused: Seriously, I'm saying that Google would answer her question, which it would. Why is it dickish to tell people information is easily found on the Internet? Is it also dickish to tell someone to look up the definition of a word in a dictionary?
Original post by Red one
I don't really get what that has to do with this thread though. So Christmas is allegedly based on pagan traditions, now what? I don't really see many pagans or hear about people worshiping fire either but you're saying that the fact that it's not even a christian holiday means that anyone can celebrate it? Well, no I disagree.

Actually it's pretty important. You're making it sound like Christmas has only ever been Christian, should only ever be Christian and that non-Christians shouldn't celebrate it.

When actually it's not really "just" Christian at all. And nowadays a lot of people don't celebrate it for any religious reason, just because as celebrations go it's a pretty good one.
How is that being a dick? :confused: Seriously, I'm saying that Google would answer her question, which it would. Why is it dickish to tell people information is easily found on the Internet? Is it also dickish to tell someone to look up the definition of a word in a dictionary?

Would you say it to someone in RL then?

Just wondering, as it seems only the most pompous people say things like 'google is your friend' or 'look it up on google'.
Right......

Spoiler

Reply 19
Original post by Red one

I think it is relevant to the thread because you said you don't like people who aren't Christians getting crazy about Christmas. But if you're being technical and it's not even a Christian holiday, surely it would be just as bad if not worse if a Christian is getting all hyped up about Christmas?

Quick Reply

Latest