The Student Room Group

raf medical

ive recently been for a raf medical as im applying to be a pilot. i have passed the filter interview and aptitude test so far but today i was told i had slightly too high a blood pressure and was told my application will be delayed until further investigation has taken place. ive had no history of high blood pressure and no one in my family (as far as im aware) has anything similar. im hoping that if the investigation (at my local doctors) comes back finding nothing wrong with me eg. diabetes/anything else that may cause high blood pressure then i will still be able to join if my blood pressure is slightly high. does anyone know if this is the case? im not an unhealthy person but foolishly over weekend i ate 2 kfc's and a Chinese haha and obviously salt raises blood pressure
Reply 1
p.s. i passed everything else on the medical
Reply 2
Mate there is absolutely no need to panic, I had the same problem, it's called white coat syndrome... Basically getting nervous around doctors therefor elevating your blood pressure. all you have to do is take your medical paper work with you to the doctors ( I'm assuming you was given it by capita) they will check your blood pressure, if it under 140/90 it's a pass and they won't bat an eyelid! The nurse will give the paper work to your practise manager who will send it off to the AFCO! And that will be the end of that! Don't worry mate it's fine, apparently it's pretty common! One bit off advice is, pester your GP to get your medical notes sent off straight away because the RAF send you a email saying if you don't resolve the medical issue within 6 weeks your application gets closed down and you have to do It all again! Doctors are notorious for being slow. I had my med last Wednesday, and had my blood pressure done on Friday and they still haven't sent them off! I have to keep ringing them.... Anyway hope that helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Rhys_Mayes
Mate there is absolutely no need to panic, I had the same problem, it's called white coat syndrome... Basically getting nervous around doctors therefor elevating your blood pressure. all you have to do is take your medical paper work with you to the doctors ( I'm assuming you was given it by capita) they will check your blood pressure, if it under 140/90 it's a pass and they won't bat an eyelid! The nurse will give the paper work to your practise manager who will send it off to the AFCO! And that will be the end of that! Don't worry mate it's fine, apparently it's pretty common! One bit off advice is, pester your GP to get your medical notes sent off straight away because the RAF send you a email saying if you don't resolve the medical issue within 6 weeks your application gets closed down and you have to do It all again! Doctors are notorious for being slow. I had my med last Wednesday, and had my blood pressure done on Friday and they still haven't sent them off! I have to keep ringing them.... Anyway hope that helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

good man thats reassuring i just hope i dont get this white coat the next time. shouldnt have to stand there in my boxers prancing round though next time which might help haha
Reply 4
If your drink coffee, stop. It's known to increase blood pressure.
Reply 5
No, when you go to your GP they just do it when your clothed, and just relax your self... Mine was still high being around a doctors surgery etc, it was about a 132/67 ha. But when you go back to capita all you do is sign paperwork, that's all. Hope this puts your mind to rest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
May I ask where you guys got your medical done?

I'm rejoining the reserves and I have been having an absolute mare with the Capita doctor, who has TMU'd me TWICE for raised blood pressure and a couple of non existent issues according to my GP who wrote a scaving letter about how the Capita doctor carried out the medical, despite my first tests being an average of 130/82 below the 140/90 maximum!

I've been so freaked out by the last lot of readings (155/94!) I went and got a clinically approved BP machine, and it's never above 130/79 at home and work and the average seems to be around 125/78 (just now).

Basically the second time he did my measurement he rushed me through the physical exam, undres, height weight visual check then BP....no wonder it was raised. I convinced him to take it a third time after a couple of minutes and it had fallen to 124/92, and I said surely you can see its on the way down, it's because you're rushing me, he was having none of it, have to come back once I've bad my BP monitord for 24 hours....third appointment afterwards, any small co incidence CAPITA get paid PER MEDICAL or review appointment.
Reply 7
I would ask your AFCO for a change in doctor, which may mean you have to travel!

I live in Boston and had to travel to Cambridge so....

130 is a pass

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm tempted. But when I went for my second one he told me I had to see him again.

Unfortunately I don't think all the Capita clinics do entry medicals, so I might be stuffed.
Reply 9
Where abouts do you live?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Currently work in London but commute from Kent.
Reply 11
Cambridge is close enough you you! You need to speak to your AFCO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
there are drugs that lower it.
Reply 13
RAF PRE JOINING FITNESS

Has anyone completed PJFT? Got mine coming up soon and wondering about the ( dreaded ) press up tests, regarding the form of the press up how strict are they? Need to do 10 in 1 minute which I should achieve as I'm putting in the hard work! Im worried I'm not doing them correctly!

Any advice would be greatly appreicated

Laura
Reply 14
arms shoulder width, go down so your arms are pretty much right angles at the elbow, head facing the front not down
Original post by McAdam88
RAF PRE JOINING FITNESS

Has anyone completed PJFT? Got mine coming up soon and wondering about the ( dreaded ) press up tests, regarding the form of the press up how strict are they? Need to do 10 in 1 minute which I should achieve as I'm putting in the hard work! Im worried I'm not doing them correctly!

Any advice would be greatly appreicated

Laura

Laura,

Don't just practise press ups, you also need to work on your abs core strength. In between sessions incorporate thing like the plank and Russian twists etc. press ups has always been my downfall but since I've worked harder on my core strength I'm slowly improving.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
How did it go at the doctors as I’m in the same boat
Reply 17
Original post by EyeInTheSky
ive recently been for a raf medical as im applying to be a pilot. i have passed the filter interview and aptitude test so far but today i was told i had slightly too high a blood pressure and was told my application will be delayed until further investigation has taken place. ive had no history of high blood pressure and no one in my family (as far as im aware) has anything similar. im hoping that if the investigation (at my local doctors) comes back finding nothing wrong with me eg. diabetes/anything else that may cause high blood pressure then i will still be able to join if my blood pressure is slightly high. does anyone know if this is the case? im not an unhealthy person but foolishly over weekend i ate 2 kfc's and a Chinese haha and obviously salt raises blood pressure

How did it go at the doctors ?
Original post by Jack d1
How did it go at the doctors ?

The thread is 7+ years old and OP hasn't been here since 2014.

How it went for them is irrelevant to you. Every medical is unique and based solely on you.

Latest