The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3260
Original post by Airfairy
Guys who've had interviews - how long in total was your day? I know someone above has said 3.5 hrs but what about at other unis/subjects?

IoE science was about 3 hours.
I am so impressed with how speedy they are once you can finally pay and submit. I had an acknowledgement email from one of my choices within an hour of submitting and a phone call from another to confirm that I wanted the unsalaried school direct rather than salaried.
Reply 3262
Just completed my skills tests and amazingly passed the numeracy one!
I honestly was so, so shocked and frustrated by it. A good majority of the types of question were not sampled anything I've been using to practice with, I was flummoxed by several and didn't manage to answer quite a lot of the mental ones. As a result I was sure I had failed just ten minutes or so in, and was tempted to just up and leave - I was the only one in the centre so could have done without much issue. The lady who was controlling it all was lovely though, and the only reason I stayed was because I know she would have been disappointed if I had disqualified myself. Hah. It's really unlike me to 'give up' and I'm amazed I almost did. Thankfully, I didn't, because somehow I managed to pass. I can only imagine it was by one heavenly point. :3 Phew.

If anyone wants any answers on the format or setup of the tests I'm happy to answer (so long as I don't get scolded by a mod of course).

Original post by crm
this has probably been asked many times, but what exactly do I need to print off as proof of my application for the skills tests? I haven't got my welcome letter because it is at my parents address, and wont have time to get it before my literacy skills test tomorrow. Thanks!

If you go to your UCAS application, along the sidebar where you have already seen 'references / education / personal statement' etc categories to fill in, there is near the bottom a 'Print Form' option. I just chose that, printed the 12 pages of the application in total. The lady in the centre took one glance at one page to confirm it was 'gttr' official and that was that.

Don't forget two forms of ID! A signed debit/credit card counts as one. I didn't realise you had to have two for sure. I had my passport but my daft bank card isn't signed, so I almost wasn't allowed to take the tests. Managed to pull out my railcard from the depths of my bag, which she accepted. Obviously if you're a driver it's an easy answer though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3263
As soon I posted that, I remember We had already spoken about this lol :smile:

Educational issues is tricky one isn't it, I half wonder whether I know enough, and yet of what I do know, I've been remembering names of people who have spoke about it or given opinions... I think I run the risk of over preparing so come 8 this evening, I'm not going to look at anything else. Tomorrow I'll do a quick read through of my notes, and go..... If St Marys won't have me, I'm sure someone will!!!? I JUST REALLY WANT IT!!

Lol, best of luck for next week, I would have been at the Monday one for Roehampton but it clashed! I'm glad for the time in between so I can practice delivery of my object, which I finished making last night!! :smile:

X

Original post by andrea199
No I have Roehampton Monday, St Mary's Tuesday. Ye ive got that pretty much sorted its just the educational issues which is taking a while to know enough to be able to talk confidently about them ! How's yours going ?
x
Reply 3264
Well done on the numeracy!!

what topics came up the most assuming you can say.....

X

Original post by awe
I honestly was so, so shocked and frustrated by it. A good majority of the types of question were not sampled anything I've been using to practice with, I was flummoxed by several and didn't manage to answer quite a lot of the mental ones. As a result I was sure I had failed just ten minutes or so in, and was tempted to just up and leave - I was the only one in the centre so could have done without much issue. The lady who was controlling it all was lovely though, and the only reason I stayed was because I know she would have been disappointed if I had disqualified myself. Hah. It's really unlike me to 'give up' and I'm amazed I almost did. Thankfully, I didn't, because somehow I managed to pass. I can only imagine it was by one heavenly point. :3 Phew.

If anyone wants any answers on the format or setup of the tests I'm happy to answer (so long as I don't get scolded by a mod of course).

If you go to your UCAS application, along the sidebar where you have already seen 'references / education / personal statement' etc categories to fill in, there is near the bottom a 'Print Form' option. I just chose that, printed the 12 pages of the application in total. The lady in the centre took one glance at one page to confirm it was 'gttr' official and that was that.

Don't forget two forms of ID! A signed debit/credit card counts as one. I didn't realise you had to have two for sure. I had my passport but my daft bank card isn't signed, so I almost wasn't allowed to take the tests. Managed to pull out my railcard from the depths of my bag, which she accepted. Obviously if you're a driver it's an easy answer though.
Original post by sultanofswing
Which colleges have you applied to? With mine being so far they said they would send the information two weeks before but its not very handy when you are trying to book travel!

How did it go? When do you find out if you are successful?

I've applied for Homerton (which is literally next door to the faculty) and Jesus college (which looks like a little castle! :biggrin:).

It went well, I felt challenged but I loved every second of it. There's a Nandos nearby to recharge the batteries lol. We were told we should find out in 2 weeks time.
Reply 3266
Original post by Jo_Marie
Well done on the numeracy!!

what topics came up the most assuming you can say.....

X

Well there were fewer questions that involved rapid simplifying, at least compared to everything I've been looking at. It's really hard to remember specifically because it all disappears from your mind so quickly, you're onto the next question instantly after all. As to be expected, revising percentages thoroughly will be useful. A few of the issues were definitely my own and I was just being bothered by the phrasing, which is stupid of me... but I would say the best thing to revise is simply your understanding of what procedures need to be used as swiftly as possible, so identifying immediately what you need to do. Which is probably a really obvious thing, however even though I thought I wasn't *too* bad at it, in the moment I wasted a lot of time having to go back on myself.
I do think with enough practise and revision it should be fine. I did not put aside enough revision time, simple as that. Thankfully I scraped by but I don't take it much as a result of any sort of cleverness on my part because of the struggle. Was too close for comfort for sure.
/possibly sorry mods, really can't tell what's OTT and what's safe...
Reply 3267
Oh OK I think I half expect all that you've said, it is often the phrasing, the time it takes to get your head round what they actually ask?!

So is that it for you now, or do you have any other interviews to go to?
Original post by awe
Well there were fewer questions that involved rapid simplifying, at least compared to everything I've been looking at. It's really hard to remember specifically because it all disappears from your mind so quickly, you're onto the next question instantly after all. As to be expected, revising percentages thoroughly will be useful. A few of the issues were definitely my own and I was just being bothered by the phrasing, which is stupid of me... but I would say the best thing to revise is simply your understanding of what procedures need to be used as swiftly as possible, so identifying immediately what you need to do. Which is probably a really obvious thing, however even though I thought I wasn't *too* bad at it, in the moment I wasted a lot of time having to go back on myself.
I do think with enough practise and revision it should be fine. I did not put aside enough revision time, simple as that. Thankfully I scraped by but I don't take it much as a result of any sort of cleverness on my part because of the struggle. Was too close for comfort for sure.
/possibly sorry mods, really can't tell what's OTT and what's safe...
Had my St Mary's interview today - it was a really good day and I think it went well, I got a very positive feeling from the place (fingers crossed!)

Now just to wait and see - they said we should hear within 5 days so it's all very quick!
Well done for passing! My numeracy was more common sense than maths a lot of the time so flew through it. Just glad it is out the way!

Not had any acknowledgement of my application yet, but hopefully by the end of the week I will have word. Not too nervous waiting, probably because there isn't much I can do while I wait other than keep up to date with education news and think up presentation ideas for potential interviews!

Can't believe December is going so quickly, too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3270
Oh OK I think I half expect all that you've said, it is often the phrasing, the time it takes to get your head round what they actually ask?!

So is that it for you now, or do you have any other interviews to go to?

Yeah sorry I'm rambly haha! Again though, it might just have been me.
I haven't had one yet, just had one rejection from my wildcard. Am sort of expecting two more rejections though - I have no classroom experience. I'll wait before being too defeatist, but yeah... it wasn't the most hopeful application despite my placement starting in Jan. P: How about you?
Original post by madl24903
I've applied for Homerton (which is literally next door to the faculty) and Jesus college (which looks like a little castle! :biggrin:).

It went well, I felt challenged but I loved every second of it. There's a Nandos nearby to recharge the batteries lol. We were told we should find out in 2 weeks time.

I will apply to Homerton I think, as for the other I think I will just pick out of a hat! good luck anyway
Reply 3272
Oh well done getting it out of the way with. Hope it went OK. Any obvious tips or things to look out for? What was the whole day like, did it go on much after 4pm?

Fingers crossed you get an offer, I have mine there tomorrow!!

Original post by magic_box
Had my St Mary's interview today - it was a really good day and I think it went well, I got a very positive feeling from the place (fingers crossed!)

Now just to wait and see - they said we should hear within 5 days so it's all very quick!
Original post by xxstace123xx
Passed the numeracy test today, for those worried about the mental maths section, it is easier than the practise tests.

I think I actually found the mental maths easier than the second bit.

Ooh thanks for letting us know. I have mine tomorrow and I'm bricking it!
Reply 3274
I've my first interview tomorrow with St Marys.

Next Wednesday I've got Roehampton. I've only recently started my time working with a school, and at the open days they all said that as long as you're at least applying they will consider applications. It's all about how you come across with other qualities right?

Where are the two you're waiting on?
Original post by awe
Yeah sorry I'm rambly haha! Again though, it might just have been me.
I haven't had one yet, just had one rejection from my wildcard. Am sort of expecting two more rejections though - I have no classroom experience. I'll wait before being too defeatist, but yeah... it wasn't the most hopeful application despite my placement starting in Jan. P: How about you?
Oh well done getting it out of the way with. Hope it went OK. Any obvious tips or things to look out for? What was the whole day like, did it go on much after 4pm?

Fingers crossed you get an offer, I have mine there tomorrow!!

Thank you!
The day lasted from 8.20am-2pm for me but my afternoon interview was near the beginning so I imagine some people were still there at 4! I don't think it would have ended much later than that though.
What have you applied for?
Reply 3276
That's odd... Mine is from 9.30 on the interview pack?

Is yours secondary?

I'm primary PGCE full time. You?

Im
Thank you!
The day lasted from 8.20am-2pm for me but my afternoon interview was near the beginning so I imagine some people were still there at 4! I don't think it would have ended much later than that though.
What have you applied for?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3277
Original post by awe

well done on passing!! thank you for this its really helpful. I forgot about the forms of ID.
That's odd... Mine is from 9.30 on the interview pack?

Is yours secondary?

I'm primary PGCE full time. You?

Im

Yes I'm Secondary RE but there was a mix of all different secondary subject applicants - I guess they just do secondary today and primary tomorrow :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 3279
Thank you!!
Yes I'm Secondary RE but there was a mix of all different secondary subject applicants - I guess they just do secondary today and primary tomorrow :smile:
Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending