The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Government applicants 2014

I've been stalking the LSE page for a couple of weeks now seeing who's getting what for different courses and I havn't found anyone yet applying for straight up politics or Government as LSE calls it because they are cool.
I have had the "strong enough to be considered further email".
Are there any other Government applicants out there?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm an international applicant for Government! I too wondered where all the Government applicants were...I wonder if it's a smaller course, or if we're just a silent bunch. I got the "strong enough" email as well, and am now waiting. It said seven weeks, which ends January 3rd, but I'm told LSE is notorious for waiting until March.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by impressionistic
I'm an international applicant for Government! I too wondered where all the Government applicants were...I wonder if it's a smaller course, or if we're just a silent bunch. I got the "strong enough" email as well, and am now waiting. It said seven weeks, which ends January 3rd, but I'm told LSE is notorious for waiting until March.

I don't think it's a smaller course, on the LSE website it shows the number of applicants last year and they are similar to the number for other courses everyone else seems to be going for on TSR.
I'm seven weeks too... maybe fewer people have applied this year and we're in luck competition wise? :smile:
Reply 3
I've also applied for the Government course. I applied at the end of November and got my 'strong enough to be considered' email about a week later. Do most people get these emails or are they actually a sign of progress? I've also seen people saying they got emails saying they were among the strongest in their cohort or something, is this a later email or were they just considered better than me?

I'm predicting a long old wait - where else have you applied?
Reply 4
Original post by Ahopes
I've also applied for the Government course. I applied at the end of November and got my 'strong enough to be considered' email about a week later. Do most people get these emails or are they actually a sign of progress? I've also seen people saying they got emails saying they were among the strongest in their cohort or something, is this a later email or were they just considered better than me?

I'm predicting a long old wait - where else have you applied?

I had your same confusion about the emails. The "strongest in the cohort" email is sent after the waiting period sent on the "strong enough to be considered further" email, so we are all in the same boat. Interesting how other competitive courses have had only to wait 5 weeks and us 7 though: maybe there are less applicants this year? ... Less competition? Or maybe a lot of applicants who come on TSR are Oxbridge applicants too so they tend to apply for and talk about politics and philosophy or economics together for example? Speculation I know, but it happens when they make us wait so long!
I have applied to Kings, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary and Kent - LSE is something of a dream choice for me but I'm pleased I'm still in and amongst the pool of applicants. I think my personal statement is strong (cocky I know!) but my predicted grades are "only" AAA compared to others with A*s.
What about you?
Reply 5
Original post by mrchelsea
I had your same confusion about the emails. The "strongest in the cohort" email is sent after the waiting period sent on the "strong enough to be considered further" email, so we are all in the same boat. Interesting how other competitive courses have had only to wait 5 weeks and us 7 though: maybe there are less applicants this year? ... Less competition? Or maybe a lot of applicants who come on TSR are Oxbridge applicants too so they tend to apply for and talk about politics and philosophy or economics together for example? Speculation I know, but it happens when they make us wait so long!
I have applied to Kings, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary and Kent - LSE is something of a dream choice for me but I'm pleased I'm still in and amongst the pool of applicants. I think my personal statement is strong (cocky I know!) but my predicted grades are "only" AAA compared to others with A*s.
What about you?

Oh right, well i'll hope to receive one in about seven weeks then! Oh really I had read people saying they were getting emails stating a 6 week waiting period and that in more recent ones the number had gone up to 7. I'm probably wrong though as I don't read much on here.

I've also applied to Kings for the International Politics course. Haven't received any offers apart from Surrey as I only applied the other week but hoping to get offers from Kings, Warwick and York too.

My predicted grades are A*, A*, A in Eng Lit, RS and History. I'm not sure how good my personal statement is after looking at other examples, I had some work experience with an MP which could help though.
Reply 6
Original post by Ahopes
Oh right, well i'll hope to receive one in about seven weeks then! Oh really I had read people saying they were getting emails stating a 6 week waiting period and that in more recent ones the number had gone up to 7. I'm probably wrong though as I don't read much on here.

I've also applied to Kings for the International Politics course. Haven't received any offers apart from Surrey as I only applied the other week but hoping to get offers from Kings, Warwick and York too.

My predicted grades are A*, A*, A in Eng Lit, RS and History. I'm not sure how good my personal statement is after looking at other examples, I had some work experience with an MP which could help though.

Congratulations on your really good predicted grades :smile: I'm slightly envious of them but this LSE application process seems not to be a known science in relation to grades, p.s. etc, so I can keep my fingers crossed.
I've gone for European Politics at Kings, I haven't heard anything back though which is slightly worrying for me. I have had offers for my other 3 unis which is really positive, so something must be right in my application at least!.
Yeh, you must be in for a long wait, it gets easier though... and then harder again haha !
I also applied to Cambridge. Being a foreigner, I thought I might as well take a shot at the cream of the crop since it's not like I'm wasting 2/5 chances on likely rejections.

I'm in IB. I got a 7 and 6 on my 2 SLs I took last year. I haven't seen my exact predicted grades this year, but I think I'm predicted for at least a 6 in all of my subjects and know I'm predicted for an A on EE. My guess would be a total of 41-42 points out of 45. I also have some AP 4s and 5s and a 36 ACT, though I know that carries considerably less weight to non-American schools.
Reply 8
I'll be applying to this course next year! What books/etc. did you guys put on your personal statements? I'm an international applicant, and my country don't do personal statements so I'm a bit lost :/ I've read a few works by Machiavelli but that's really it :/ Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by geodawson
I'll be applying to this course next year! What books/etc. did you guys put on your personal statements? I'm an international applicant, and my country don't do personal statements so I'm a bit lost :/ I've read a few works by Machiavelli but that's really it :/ Thanks!

I didn't really mention specific books, which may weaken my personal statement. But I did mention how I've read the works of early political philosophers and some modern people like Rawls so hopefully that'll be ok. Mentioning Machiavelli could be good though as I'm sure he'll turn up in the course somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Congratulations on your really good predicted grades :smile: I'm slightly envious of them but this LSE application process seems not to be a known science in relation to grades, p.s. etc, so I can keep my fingers crossed.
I've gone for European Politics at Kings, I haven't heard anything back though which is slightly worrying for me. I have had offers for my other 3 unis which is really positive, so something must be right in my application at least!.
Yeh, you must be in for a long wait, it gets easier though... and then harder again haha !

Yeah definitely, many people with all A*'s have been rejected, I suppose it goes deeper than just your grades. Apparently all the London uni's take ages to reply because of the number of applicants so I wouldn't worry. Anyway, good luck! If I hear anything I'll post it on here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by geodawson

Just "On Politics"... great intro to the most famous political philosophers, no need to read the great works before Uni though, it's what you go to uni to do! :smile:
I got my conditional offer today! Standard for IB, 38 points with 766 at HL.

I would have to go back and look, but I think the only book I mentioned in my PS was John Lewis Gaddis' The Cold War: A New History.
Reply 13
I got my conditional offer today! Standard for IB, 38 points with 766 at HL.

I would have to go back and look, but I think the only book I mentioned in my PS was John Lewis Gaddis' The Cold War: A New History.

Congratulations! It's exciting to know someone has an offer! What did the email say?!
Reply 14
Hi! Is BSc Government at LSE basically straight Politics? I've applied for Politics and Philosophy but I am now thinking I should have applied for Government as my personal statement was more centred around Politics rather than Philosophy; I merely mentioned that I was interested in early political theory such as Plato and also John Locke's early liberalism but I don't think I had enough Philosophy in there and the joint honours personal statements are supposed to be of equal weighting for both subjects. I have already achieved A*AA in Psychology, Economics and French A Levels and I'm currently on a gap year! Sorry for the rambling but is Government basically LSE's offering of straight Politics? I have one ucas choice left to add and I'm considering applying for BSc Government as well as my other choices. Thanks! :smile:
Thanks! This is the beginning: "I am pleased to tell you that our Admissions Selector has decided to offer you a place to study BSc in Government at LSE! You will find confirmation on UCAS Track, and full details of your offer will be provided in your undergraduate offer pack, which contains both your offer letter and the Undergraduate Offer Holders Guide. You will receive your pack in the post in a few weeks' time. It is important that you read your offer letter and offer guide, as they contain important information about your offer and our regulations." Then there was more stuff about hoping I would make LSE my firm choice and such. Good luck to you all!
Reply 16
Original post by Holly51094
Hi! Is BSc Government at LSE basically straight Politics? I've applied for Politics and Philosophy but I am now thinking I should have applied for Government as my personal statement was more centred around Politics rather than Philosophy; I merely mentioned that I was interested in early political theory such as Plato and also John Locke's early liberalism but I don't think I had enough Philosophy in there and the joint honours personal statements are supposed to be of equal weighting for both subjects. I have already achieved A*AA in Psychology, Economics and French A Levels and I'm currently on a gap year! Sorry for the rambling but is Government basically LSE's offering of straight Politics? I have one ucas choice left to add and I'm considering applying for BSc Government as well as my other choices. Thanks! :smile:

Yes, Government is Politics. My 5 choices are Government, European Politics and 3x Politics. Now I'm not a LSE or TSR expert but I think it's fair to ask why did you apply to LSE for a joint honours course and write very little about one subject? Personally, I will never write anyone off, but there will be others on here you will say you have just burnt a uni choice... have you seen the Politics and Philosophy thread?!
What are your other 3 choices? Are they all politics? Then I can recommend you whether to apply because they put so much weight on personal statements and if half of it isn't relevant to the course then it's probably not worth it.
The only other thing I see perhaps being a bit of an issue is that seen as you've already applied you won't have mentioned the specific course "Government" anywhere. It's not a major deal, I only made one reference to Government in my whole ps but it's something to think about. With so many people competing for places at LSE there are going to be those who are specific to LSE and mention specific aspects of the Government course and call politics "Government" half the time.
Sorry for the pretention but if there's one thing I know about it's politics and how difficult it is to get into LSE. I hope I have helped.

Thanks! This is the beginning: "I am pleased to tell you that our Admissions Selector has decided to offer you a place to study BSc in Government at LSE! You will find confirmation on UCAS Track, and full details of your offer will be provided in your undergraduate offer pack, which contains both your offer letter and the Undergraduate Offer Holders Guide. You will receive your pack in the post in a few weeks' time. It is important that you read your offer letter and offer guide, as they contain important information about your offer and our regulations." Then there was more stuff about hoping I would make LSE my firm choice and such. Good luck to you all!

This is really cool and I'm quite jealous! Congratulations again... you must be one of the first! I know according only to people on TSR that international and home students are in something of different boats but it's still amazing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Yes, Government is Politics. My 5 choices are Government, European Politics and 3x Politics. Now I'm not a LSE or TSR expert but I think it's fair to ask why did you apply to LSE for a joint honours course and write very little about one subject? Personally, I will never write anyone off, but there will be others on here you will say you have just burnt a uni choice... have you seen the Politics and Philosophy thread?!
What are your other 3 choices? Are they all politics? Then I can recommend you whether to apply because they put so much weight on personal statements and if half of it isn't relevant to the course then it's probably not worth it.
The only other thing I see perhaps being a bit of an issue is that seen as you've already applied you won't have mentioned the specific course "Government" anywhere. It's not a major deal, I only made one reference to Government in my whole ps but it's something to think about. With so many people competing for places at LSE there are going to be those who are specific to LSE and mention specific aspects of the Government course and call politics "Government" half the time.
Sorry for the pretention but if there's one thing I know about it's politics and how difficult it is to get into LSE. I hope I have helped.

Hi! Thanks for replying, I've also applied for Politics at Durham, Politics at Newcastle and International Politics at Kings College. If I'd written loads about philosophy then I feel it wouldn't meet the other courses I'd applied for. I've now applied for Government at LSE for my final choice. I didn't realise that it was basically straight politics I assumed that Politics and Philosophy was their offering of a politics course but now I realise! I didn't mention 'government' in my statement as I needed a statement that would apply to all choices but all I can do is wait now I suppose!
Reply 18
Original post by Holly51094
Hi! Thanks for replying, I've also applied for Politics at Durham, Politics at Newcastle and International Politics at Kings College. If I'd written loads about philosophy then I feel it wouldn't meet the other courses I'd applied for. I've now applied for Government at LSE for my final choice. I didn't realise that it was basically straight politics I assumed that Politics and Philosophy was their offering of a politics course but now I realise! I didn't mention 'government' in my statement as I needed a statement that would apply to all choices but all I can do is wait now I suppose!

You should be absolutely fine then! LSE will be able to see you've applied for both courses.
If you examine the courses you will see Government modules are similar to any other politics course's.
I talked about political philosophy too. My advice would be to change your Politics and Philosophy course to a different Uni's politics course. Just have a look at the LSE politics and philosophy thread on TSR and you'll see if you havnt applied for that course then it might be worth switching, IF UCAS LETS YOU (double check that!), because a lot of those who applied to P&P will be going to Oxbridge and will have talked about philosophy a lot more. Best of luck though!
Reply 19
You should be absolutely fine then! LSE will be able to see you've applied for both courses.
If you examine the courses you will see Government modules are similar to any other politics course's.
I talked about political philosophy too. My advice would be to change your Politics and Philosophy course to a different Uni's politics course. Just have a look at the LSE politics and philosophy thread on TSR and you'll see if you havnt applied for that course then it might be worth switching, IF UCAS LETS YOU (double check that!), because a lot of those who applied to P&P will be going to Oxbridge and will have talked about philosophy a lot more. Best of luck though!

Yes when I've looked into it further LSE's Government contains many modules integral to a Politics course elsewhere, and my personal statement looks like it can be applied to most of the modules, for example I've talked about reading political theory such as Plato, Locke and Marx and also my debating interests concerning the EU and current coalition government, which hopefully will be applicable to the course. I realise now that applying for a joint honours was silly when my statement had little philosophy in it! I can substitute Politics and Philosophy for another choice if I do it by the end of today as its been just under a week. Do you think this is wise if LSE will probably not give me an offer without philosophy in my statement? That would mean that I had still had the chance of an offer for Government at LSE. I'm not sure where else to apply though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending