The Student Room Group

Muslim students at Queen Mary calling for a ‘right to pray’

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
It clearly is very different, religious stuff affects a students welfare whereas drinking does not, not to mention that students would be in uni while drunk. Another thing is that Drapers Bar is available on campus and has more than enough space and meets the demand of students.
Erm no you can't, because that would go agaínst uníversíty polícy :rolleyes:

If you really want to debate this, go debate at the council meetings at QM, because the íssue has been addressed and sorted.

I never said that students had to binge drink and get drunk, why they can't have one or two drinks?

At many events, Drapers is too full that you can barely walk through. Should I protest by saying they should set me up another bar elsewhere on campus? I would disagree and argue it does affect welfare as it adds to student experience, hence why they have student nights.

What's wrong with debating it on here? :rolleyes:

The guy who put forward that analogy was absolutely right, QM only gave in due to immoral blackmail. Because religion can be linked to racism, and activities such as drinking cannot it was won, despite it being no different.
Original post by Britishstudent
I never said that students had to binge drink and get drunk, why they can't have one or two drinks?

Í am just statíng the íssue behínd ít, so ít barely affects there welfare...not to mentíon there needs are already met

At many events, Drapers is too full that you can barely walk through. Should I protest by saying they should set me up another bar elsewhere on campus? I would disagree and argue it does affect welfare as it adds to student experience, hence why they have student nights.

Theres a huge dífference, student níghts and what not do not clash wíth uníversíty life aka lectures, etc whereas prayers do. Not to mentíon they have no tíme restríctíons in comparíson apart from when it closes at night.

What's wrong with debating it on here? :rolleyes:

The guy who put forward that analogy was absolutely right, QM only gave in due to immoral blackmail. Because religion can be linked to racism, and activities such as drinking cannot it was won, despite it being no different.

Because the issue has been solved, for me debating with you is pointless because you have your own view and I am happy with the results :rolleyes:

They really dídn't, consídering all thats happened is that they returned to the original rules from the last academíc year whích allows bookíng by socíetíes.
Reply 342
Original post by Lady Comstock
Objectively, there is no hierarchy which rates the desire to use a space to pray to a deity above the desire to use a space to forward one's enjoyment of alcohol consumption and the corresponding social interaction. Both are ideological and subjective whims/goals/desires.

Did you just argue that getting pissed is ideological?

And that it's as meaningful as praying to God?

Oh dear.
Objectively, there is no hierarchy which rates the desire to use a space to pray to a deity above the desire to use a space to forward one's enjoyment of alcohol consumption and the corresponding social interaction. Both are ideological and subjective whims/goals/desires.

Well there ís a sígnífícant dífference between the two ín the current matter. Whích ís for socíetíes beíng able to book the halls just as they were able to just before summer holídays. Not to mentíon there ís a significant demand for it consíderíng the uní securíty got ínvolved wíth the current overcrowdíng íssue ín the current rooms, restríctíng the space that could be used, turníng away people yet unwíllíng to provide the space.

Hence why they decíded to pray outsíde, just to show how many people show up, just so the uníversíty reverses íts decísíon to stop hall bookíngs to socíetíes.
Wow, how about those starving African children who want to eat lol? Muslims are so above us that they cannot find a little patch of land to bend over and face Mecca? Grass is too good for them?
But what if other societies book the hall at the relevant time period? What if the Role-playing Society figures out, with no malice involved, that they need the hall and the only time that can be conflicts with Friday prayers?

So what would happen if another society or university organisation required the hall during Friday prayers and what if this occurred on such a frequent basis so as to make Friday prayers in the hall a very infrequent occurrence?

Ít's first come, fírst serve.......plus Í very much doubt that, consíderíng theres 2 hall, one of whích ís the performance hall for actíng. Plus there ís a lot of drama facílítíes.-

Í thínk that the SU decídes at the end, íts only ín the case of íf the uníversíty needs ít that they can overríde any other bookíngs by socíetíes,

Original post by locrian37
Wow, how about those starving African children who want to eat lol? Muslims are so above us that they cannot find a little patch of land to bend over and face Mecca? Grass is too good for them?

:rolleyes: Ít was just over a week ago that the ISOC raised nearly £35,000 for Orphans and needy chíldren.
(edited 10 years ago)
Fair enough, but where will the ISOC go if they are behind first come, first serve? This whole thread has been about the ISOC not having much other choices so they need the hall, but if they are willing not to barge in front of other societies and be on a fair playing field - where will they go if another society or university group books the hall before them?

Well this was how the system worked ín the prevíous years before.......no other socíety has ever needed ít around 12-1pm duríng wínter or 1-2pm duríng spríng/summer períod. The only the other group that have ís the uníversíty ítself.
Regardless, where will the ISOC go if the hall is booked already?

There are 2 halls, and again it will has happened and near impossible to occur in the future because socíeties would never book the halls during lecture time simply due to the fact that turn out would be so low so it benefits little and that the SU would never give approval for space to be used inadequately as you usually have to provide detail for usage of the space being booked. SU are also currently auditing the space available at QM.

Only the University can override it for their own events, usually they fall back to the prayer rooms and try to get as many people in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yawn-er
Did you just argue that getting pissed is ideological?

And that it's as meaningful as praying to God?

Oh dear.

Getting pissed is more meaningful than praying - when you drink, you feel an effect. When you pray, nobody listens.

Thus drinking has more meaning than praying.
Reply 349
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Getting pissed is more meaningful than praying - when you drink, you feel an effect. When you pray, nobody listens.

Thus drinking has more meaning than praying.

You don't know what people feel when they pray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
You don't know what people feel when they pray.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what I felt when I prayed -- absolutely nothing, as it is a totally futile gesture and is really no more than thinking to yourself.

Chemicals have recognised effects.

Thinking to yourself does not.
Reply 351
I know what I felt when I prayed -- absolutely nothing, as it is a totally futile gesture and is really no more than thinking to yourself.

Chemicals have recognised effects.

Thinking to yourself does not.

You felt nothing, does that mean others feel nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That just sounds silly if you ask me. There are plenty of other places that they are able to pray... why should they have to inconvenience others to do it?
Reply 353
Back in the REAL days, muslims would pray in a warzone. Now, you get people making issues to expand something that already exists. Honestly, it seems like muslims create almost as many issues as non muslims do about Islam. It's really not hard, you can pray anywhere, on the grass, in an empty room, under the stairs - practically anywhere. I'm a muslim, and rather than make an issue about where to pray I would just pray where ever I can.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ggmu!
You felt nothing, does that mean others feel nothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should a University care?
My brother, a Muslim, goes to Queen Mary and him and his friends always pray where they can. Mostly on the grass. :smile: I think its nice and inspirational that they're trying to defend their religious rights, but its probably not necessary.
Reply 356
Should a University care?

Is Darth Vader really Luke's father?
Original post by Iqbal007
Well there ís a sígnífícant dífference between the two ín the current matter. Whích ís for socíetíes beíng able to book the halls just as they were able to just before summer holídays. Not to mentíon there ís a significant demand for it consíderíng the uní securíty got ínvolved wíth the current overcrowdíng íssue ín the current rooms, restríctíng the space that could be used, turníng away people yet unwíllíng to provide the space.

Hence why they decíded to pray outsíde, just to show how many people show up, just so the uníversíty reverses íts decísíon to stop hall bookíngs to socíetíes.

Yes because ITS A UNIVERSITY, NOT A ****ING MOSQUE.

What else do you want? A bank? McDonalds? How about a space for for growing sunflowers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ggmu!
Is Darth Vader really Luke's father?

Spoiler

Reply 359

Spoiler

My point is, you asked an irrelevant question.

Unless of course you weren't continuing on from the previous conversation.

No university should be obligated provided to provide any space or concession (in any form) to religious students.

But if they have the space, nobody uses it and some students want to use it while it's cold, why turn them away?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending