The Student Room Group

Would you rather be rich and never find true love or be poor and find true love?

People always state how "money buys happiness" but I honestly think that to be utter bull****. You could have millions of money to last you centuries, but where's the happiness if you have no friends, family or lover. Money can't buy you those things.
I strongly believe that happiness is linked to love. Yes it may also be linked to success/fulfilment, but what is the point of achieving all your dreams if you've got no one to share it with?

In relation to the question, I would rather be poor and in love. Being in love gives you that feeling of security; you know there's someone out there who loves you and wants to be with you until you die, regardless of all the challenges you might face. I understand that being poor can lead to a lot of pressure and stress by trying to stay alive as you're economically in debt, but if you've got someone who you love and vice versa, then nothing should matter.
But if you're rich, and have no true love, you'll end up lonely. Money is just money. You can buy whatever you want, but they'll never give you the satisfaction that you get when someone loves you (at least not in my opinion). It's all materialistic love, and that doesn't last.

Am I just crazy or... ? :innocent:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think I'd rather be rich ... :dontknow:
Original post by euphrosyne
People always state how "money buys happiness" but I honestly think that to be utter bull****. You could have millions of money to last you centuries, but where's the happiness if you have no friends, family or lover. Money can't buy you those things.
I strongly believe that happiness is linked to love. Yes it may also be linked to success/fulfilment, but what is the point of achieving all your dreams if you've got no one to share it with?

In relation to the question, I would rather be poor and in love. Being in love gives you that feeling of security; you know there's someone out there who loves you and wants to be with you until you die, regardless of all the challenges you might face. I understand that being poor can lead to a lot of pressure and stress by trying to stay alive as you're economically in debt, but if you've got someone who you love and vice versa, then nothing should matter.
But if you're rich, and have no true love, you'll end up lonely. Money is just money. You can buy whatever you want, but they'll never give you the satisfaction that you get when someone loves you (at least not in my opinion). It's all materialistic love, and that doesn't last.

I did not expect that from someone who possesses so much oil, seriously.
Reply 3

I don't care about true love.
Would rather be poor and find true love. I would rather have someone by my side to go through good and bad times. Having little money doesn't mean you have to be unhappy
id rather have money
Reply 6
poor and find true love

as long as I've got some paper to do mathematics on I am happy with that
Unfortunately I have neither a lover nor money...

But give me true love.
Money doesn't buy happiness.
Money is happiness.
I'd rather be rich and not find true love as I don't really believe in it and I think love is kinda overrated anyway. With money I can pursue my interests while having non-true love partners. Win-win.
Reply 9
Original post by Maid Marian
I think I'd rather be rich ... :dontknow:

Really Marian?! I didn't expect that from you :innocent:

Original post by Tim2341
I don't care about true love.

Original post by silverbolt
id rather have money

Original post by Tom_green_day
Money is happiness.
I'd rather be rich and not find true love as I don't really believe in it and I think love is kinda overrated anyway. With money I can pursue my interests while having non-true love partners. Win-win.

Money is happiness, but temporarily. Love is long-lasting! And come on, love isn't overrated. It's natural, everyone (or the majority) experiences platonic love during their lives at some point.

I'd rather be poor and have love but why be a trade-off? Why not be both rich, and in love, haha :smile:.

Edit:
I think it really depends on the person. Seven years ago I would have said the first option, certain people can make seriously big impacts on your life. So now it's the second option.

Nonetheless, love is something that just happens almost by fate so you have no choice over it. Money is something anyone can go out and get if they really want it, love isn't. And that's always why I would value love over money - nothing can be more valuable to you than something no one else can have (as in the person).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11

Money is happiness, but temporarily. Love is long-lasting! And come on, love isn't overrated. It's natural, everyone (or the majority) experiences platonic love during their lives at some point.

No I disagree, I think 'love' is a construct; it's an idealism that girls concoct. They do nothing but dream about meeting the ideal man of their dreams and it's all false.
Reply 12
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Would rather be poor and find true love. I would rather have someone by my side to go through good and bad times. Having little money doesn't mean you have to be unhappy

Exactly, with happiness, you have no one. With love, you have someone there to be with you unconditionally. That will give me more happiness than any object.

Original post by Robbie242
poor and find true love

as long as I've got some paper to do mathematics on I am happy with that

Hahaha, maths?! Not my cup of tea :innocent:

Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Unfortunately I have neither a lover nor money...

But give me true love.

Love takes time, don't worry; you'll find it eventually. I don't have love, but I have money (not to the extent of being identified as 'rich'), but I'd give up that money for love. Call me crazy but that's me :smile:
Original post by Tom_green_day
Money is happiness.

I know plenty of rich blokes, and they are all blokes, who are ****ing miserable. Obviously it depends how you define rich, but these guys are all worth ten million plus.

You said "true" love: I might, therefore, still be able to find a simple love if I were rich :redface:
Reply 15
Original post by will2348
I'd rather be poor and have love but why be a trade-off? Why not be both rich, and in love, haha :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's naive.

Because a rich man would want chicks on his side-plate, he knows a rich position affords that privilige, have you not read the news that they (the rich (white) middle-aged men) do this often. Jude Law did it with his live-in nanny who was not pretty and he was with a beautiful actress wife.
You install all your emotion into this man and then he goes off on a dally with a womon considerably less better looking than you, that is a mug's game my love.
(edited 10 years ago)
Meh I'd rather have the money, I don't mind ONS as well :tongue:....
Original post by Le Nombre
I know plenty of rich blokes, and they are all blokes, who are ****ing miserable. Obviously it depends how you define rich, but these guys are all worth ten million plus.

Agreed. I know lots of people in jobs that pay into six figures, but the job is their identity. They work such crazy hours, day and night, everyday that they have no time for a love life - it doesn't even cross their mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tim2341
That's naive.

Because a rich man would want chicks on his side-plate, he knows a rich position affords that privilige, have you not read the news that they (the rich (white) middle-aged men) do this often. Jude Law did it with his live-in nanny who was not pretty and he was with a beautiful actress wife.
You install all your emotion into this man and then he goes off on a dally with a womon considerably less better looking than you, that is a mug's game my love.

Doesn't have to be that way. You can't extrapolate that to everyone - not every 'rich guy' is the same. Some have very successful marriages and families. But yes, others mess around horrifically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no it isnt, it lasts as long as the endorphins/hormones/magic fairy dust take to wear off.

money the amounts your talking about lasts a lifetime. Oh if i have to earn it, id rather have love, no point earning loads of money if i work too much to spend it

and with that money id hardly be short of gold diggers company
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest