The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by Mike_Ross
Induction, contradiction and infinite descent mainly, some are just by inspection.

Number theory as in combinatorics? Or like primes?

Prime numbers. I haven't done any of the mathematical challenges like the BMO so I think I'm rather weak in the "manipulation" of numbers... I've been practising after I was invited to interviews, but I doubt I have enough time to prepare! :frown: For graph sketching I'm always making tiny mistakes!

How's it going for you?
Original post by souktik
Err, I understood that you meant to say V>=2|a1-aN|. Even if |a1-aN|=N-1, a configuration with V=2(N-1) isn't guaranteed. You need to ensure that the conditions for equality of the triangle inequality are applied. And yeah, I agree that it's not difficult to fix.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Err, I still think yeah it's fairly trivial. The triangle inequality is equal on both sides when all terms are >=0 on the LHS. In this case this means we construct a decreasing sequence with difference of 1 between successive terms, starting at N and ending at 1. So I think it's fixed, correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2042
Original post by NewtonsApple
Err, I still think yeah it's fairly trivial. The triangle inequality is equal on both sides when all terms are >=0 on the LHS. In this case this means we construct a decreasing sequence with difference of 1 between successive terms, starting at N and ending at 1. So I think it's fixed, correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's fine. While we're on the topic of arranging stuff in circles, take a look at this problem:
Given any arrangement of white and black tokens along the circumference of a circle, one is allowed the following operations- take out a white token and change the colour of both its neighbours, or put in a white token and change the colour of both its neighbours. Is it possible to go from a configuration with just two tokens, both white, to a configuration with two tokens, both black?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2043
Will you wear suit for the interview?
Reply 2044
Original post by yxcai

You don't need to. :smile:
Reply 2045
Original post by Noble.
You don't need to. :smile:

Thank you~
Original post by yxcai

To (badly) quote one of the tutors: we're looking to see how sharp your mind is, not your clothing. Wear something you're comfortable in. There's going to be enough pressure already without you feeling uncomfortable in what you're wearing. If you want to wear a suit fine, but don't feel you should. It's becoming less common for students to wear suits to interview, although some still do.
Original post by MathGirl
Prime numbers. I haven't done any of the mathematical challenges like the BMO so I think I'm rather weak in the "manipulation" of numbers... I've been practising after I was invited to interviews, but I doubt I have enough time to prepare! :frown: For graph sketching I'm always making tiny mistakes!

How's it going for you?

Neither have I, got through to the Kangaroo this year but that's it; what practice questions are you doing for number theory?

The thing about graph sketching is there are so many ways to find information mins/max, intercepts, asymptotes etc utilise them all!

Prep is going alright, though there's so much they could possibly ask I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I need to cover.

Which college have you applied for?
Anyone want to try this curve sketching question?

http://i.imgur.com/nSkabD2.jpg?1

I have an answer but I'm not totally sure.

Sorry, the tsr image uploader wasn't working.
Original post by jadoreétudier
Anyone want to try this curve sketching question?

http://i.imgur.com/nSkabD2.jpg?1

I have an answer but I'm not totally sure.

Sorry, the tsr image uploader wasn't working.

This is what I got for a quick sketch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone that managed to get an interview, please can you post your Maths/FM UMS percentages and best Senior Maths Challenge scores?

I just want to get a general idea of what Oxford expects.
Reply 2051
Original post by Sayonara
Everyone that managed to get an interview, please can you post your Maths/FM UMS percentages and best Senior Maths Challenge scores?

They don't really 'expect' anything in regards to UMS and SMC. Although clearly they want 90%+ in Maths/Further on account of the fact the entry requirement is A*A*A.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept

On the Interview timetable it says we have to be there by 5pm on Sunday 15th December- but it says if you're travelling far they can accommodate you so you arrive a day earlier. (Do they mean arrive Saturday and stay overnight?)
I am travelling for 2 hours- in my opinion not that long- what should I do? When do the interviews actually start? The day you arrive on Sunday?- I have a feeling they start on Monday but I just want to be sure- I dont want to get a heart attack and realise I have an interview an hour after I arrive.

Applying for Maths only btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nahomyemane778
On the Interview timetable it says we have to be there by 5pm on Sunday 15th December- but it says if you're travelling far they can accommodate you so you arrive a day earlier. (Do they mean arrive Saturday and stay overnight?)
I am travelling for 2 hours- in my opinion not that long- what should I do? When do the interviews actually start? The day you arrive on Sunday?- I have a feeling they start on Monday but I just want to be sure- I dont want to get a heart attack and realise I have an interview an hour after I arrive.

I got the impression that travelling a long way meant flying in from overseas, I doubt they will start interviewing on the Sunday night after dinner, it will be Monday I would guess. :smile:
Original post by Mathsforlife
This is what I got for a quick sketch

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too. Then what about for y^2=... ?
This is what I did:

Spoiler

Original post by jadoreétudier
Me too. Then what about for y^2=... ?
This is what I did:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

From the original graph ignore anything below the x-axis ... Rest of the bit is squashed and reflected on the x axis cause its y=+-root(...)
Original post by Mathsforlife
From the original graph ignore anything below the x-axis ... Rest of the bit is squashed and reflected on the x axis cause its y=+-root(...)

Yeah- thats what I meant- in my head- I realise my post wasnt clear

Original post by LolaLowe
I got the impression that travelling a long way meant flying in from overseas, I doubt they will start interviewing on the Sunday night after dinner, it will be Monday I would guess. :smile:

Ah I see- thank you- that makes more sense
Reply 2058
Original post by Sayonara

My Maths UMS isn't that great, with 575/600. But I think I do slightly better in the UKMT, with 117 and 115 in Year 12 and 13 respectively.

That reminds me: has anyone gotten their BMO 1 scores yet?

You'd need to talk to your specific college about that I'm afraid. They all have slightly different ways of doing things and timings do vary between subjects. Sunday is *normally* just a briefing, with interviews starting on Monday, but it's worth checking.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending