The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by Bassface
YES! Finally, another bassist :biggrin:
My dad has two dogs, but I only see him every two weeks or so, so I get all the fun of the dogs, without the effort XD
I was just about to buy a bike, but then it got quite cold out. (maybe it's warmer in Paris :P)

I've played bass too, since I was really young (self-taught), and I've recently started to self-teach piano too (we've always had a piano, but I've never just sat down properly and got good :P). I also sing, play the guitar, and occasionally play drums. I also like recording.

I'm on the UK Youth Parliament, through which I've done some pretty cool stuff; namely getting to debate in the House of Commons this November (those green seats are bloody comfy!).

I volunteer at a local interactive-kids-science-museum-thingy in Bristol (Explore @Bristol), which is great. (Nothing tests your physics knowledge like the questions kids ask! ("But WHY does my tinfoil boat float?".)

I do photography when I can, as I've been shooting for years, and it's nice to keep up (I got my own SLR when I was 13, so I was committed!).

I game occasionally, although that's stopped because of A2s :frown:

Through gaming, I ran a gaming YouTube channel for a couple of years (until this year) which reached a couple of thousand subscribers and >750,000 views, which was nice (as I got paid for playing games :P).

Aaanndd.... I love cooking - recently, this entails making chutney/pickles :biggrin:

I think that about does it :smile: :smile:

Naww but the best part, according to mon pere, is picking up the poo because they're free hand warmers in the winter ahaha. My father ladies and gentlemen!
I only started play bass two years ago and the piano properly in year 8 :smile: That's awesome! I've always loved the idea of playing a few instruments, especially the guitar.
How did you get into doing something like that? I tried to get some work experience in the local space centre but the didn't want me :frown:

YOU GOT PAID FOR THAT?! How did that work? :O
Original post by Abbseh
Naww but the best part, according to mon pere, is picking up the poo because they're free hand warmers in the winter ahaha. My father ladies and gentlemen!
I only started play bass two years ago and the piano properly in year 8 :smile: That's awesome! I've always loved the idea of playing a few instruments, especially the guitar.
How did you get into doing something like that? I tried to get some work experience in the local space centre but the didn't want me :frown:

YOU GOT PAID FOR THAT?! How did that work? :O

Charming :smile:

I walked in, I said that I wanted to volunteer, they gave me a form, and I gave it back along with a fantastic reference by my physics teacher :P
To be fair though, this place is a charity and has quite a few volunteers; it'd be screwed without them/us :P

As for YouTube, technically Google paid me (always cool to receive a letter from Google :P), as I put ads on my videos. Great fun :smile:
Original post by Abbseh
according to mon pere

I refer to my dad in the exact same way!
Original post by LucyW456
Haha cool, I'm kinda north-west area :P
Yeh, well you don't have to eat from the canteen :smile: yeh I think it seems like a great city, pretty far away for us though, but that's not particularly important :smile:
Haha yeh that's the thing with Birmingham, it's really easy and quick to get there, yeh it's such a nice campus, and yeh the course always seems to have the highest satisfaction rating which is really good :smile:
Yeh I think getting A*AA is gonna be a challenge, but oh well it's worth a shot :smile: yeh that's pretty high what Nott ask for, do you know if they have a bachelor guarantee like bham do?
Oh right hmm I haven't really looked at accommodation prices cus u don't really want it to effect my choice, I want too go somewhere cus I love the uni and course not by cost (apart from discarding London uni's cus of price pretty much)
Oh that's nice grades Bristol ask for! I would've applied if I didn't live here already :/
Durham, Southampton and Sheffield :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think Nottingham have any such guarantee, but I'm pretty sure the admissions tutor said that they've let people in with AAB before, and commonly AAA.
I don't really want to choose uni based on cost, but it is a huge factor. I also completely discarded London due to cost, and population density.
As for Bristol, I go to city of Bristol college, which is in the lowest 30% of colleges in the country, so I get a contextual :smile:
Also, because I just did an access course (eight weeks of maths taster sessions, and lots of chocolate digestives!), and I have a low household income (this post illustrates me as a total pleb :P) I get in for free... Achem, I said FREE! ZERO FEES :0
So that's cool :P

Nice choices, what do they ask for?
Reply 1424
Unconditional offer from Durham! :smile:
Original post by alow

Whaaaat have u finished ur alevels already? Or r u just a freaking genius?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1426
Original post by KorPhysicist
Whaaaat have u finished ur alevels already? Or r u just a freaking genius?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both :wink:

Nah I've got A*A*A*A already and am predicted another A* in further maths.

Although I'm surprised it wasn't conditional on further maths like my offer from Imperial.
As i see your grades, you are a freaking genius too :biggrin: im depressed thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bassface
I don't think Nottingham have any such guarantee, but I'm pretty sure the admissions tutor said that they've let people in with AAB before, and commonly AAA.
I don't really want to choose uni based on cost, but it is a huge factor. I also completely discarded London due to cost, and population density.
As for Bristol, I go to city of Bristol college, which is in the lowest 30% of colleges in the country, so I get a contextual :smile:
Also, because I just did an access course (eight weeks of maths taster sessions, and lots of chocolate digestives!), and I have a low household income (this post illustrates me as a total pleb :P) I get in for free... Achem, I said FREE! ZERO FEES :0
So that's cool :P

Nice choices, what do they ask for?

Oh right oh that's good then, taking AAB when thy originally ask for A*AA :O
Yeh I guess, I agree with London ah I would feel so claustrophobic in such a big compacted place :P
Oh wow absolutely free?! Blimey, go to Bristol then :wink:

thanks :P Durham -A*AA and Sheffield and Southampton are AAA (all masters), however I went on a visit day to Southampton and they said they would pretty much definitely take AAB and maybe even ABB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ahhhh nightmare, my UCAS has changed (first time it's changed) but track is down for maintenance and I'm going crazy :frown:
It's probably fine. If you got an offer, it's not as if you have to confirm it or anything :P
Also, on top of the zero fees, I also get £3.5K off the government, and another £3K off the uni, EVERY YEAR :O
So I'd come out of Bristol in profit, if I was careful, haha :biggrin:

And nice one with Southampton! Is that just because they like you? Or were they feeling generous that day :P
I'm hoping I can use the whole "I was homeschooled and now I go to a crap college" disadvantage to my advantage :tongue: (that sounds worse than it is! In don't mean to manipulate or guilt trip at all; but it is a thing, haha )
Original post by alow

I just got this too! First offer, so happy :smile:
Reply 1433
Original post by PhysicsLeopard
I just got this too! First offer, so happy :smile:

Congrats! :smile:
Reply 1434
Finished my Cambridge interviews, now I can relax until January :biggrin:
Reply 1435
Original post by excal9
Finished my Cambridge interviews, now I can relax until January :biggrin:

How did they go?
Reply 1436
Original post by alow
How did they go?

well, i know i got bits wrong, but looking back on it i dont think i could have done anything better at the time (being nervous and all), so hopefully they like me xD i think i got my ideas across quite well though :smile: roll on January 6th
Reply 1437
Original post by excal9
well, i know i got bits wrong, but looking back on it i dont think i could have done anything better at the time (being nervous and all), so hopefully they like me xD i think i got my ideas across quite well though :smile: roll on January 6th

That's great :smile:

I can't wait until I've done mine then all this stress can go away!
Reply 1438
Original post by alow
That's great :smile:

I can't wait until I've done mine then all this stress can go away!

good luck :smile:
Original post by excal9

woah woah isn't it january 4th? Don't think I can add two more days to my countdown, I might go crazy :tongue: not that I haven't already...help meeeee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending