The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Blade
I'm doing 9 resits on top of my a2 this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

9 :eek:
I'm only resitting 6, still really scared about it.
resitting 4 AS exams but revision is done for 3/4 already
Original post by claudia775
Hi, I got CDEE!! at AS and ended up getting AAC in the end... I am now at manchester and getting fastracked by BB's for their intern programmes!! IMAGINE:K:

It was a long journey tbh, as long as you know you want better grades and work hard it will pay off!!

Hi! Wow that's amazing! How did you manage to turn your grades around like that?:smile:
I thought u need 80% in AS and 90% in A2 so dont you need an A to get an A*. Only started AS in sept.
Original post by stressed.human
Hi! Wow that's amazing! How did you manage to turn your grades around like that?:smile:

Thank you!

1) I prayed

2) I knew my ability and knew I could do better

3) Know what gets you distracted and AVOID

4) Think about it this way, if you don't get the results you need you could be F'D! You might end up in a uni you hate and that's "****", or have to repeat.... So FEAR! lol

5) As soon as you receive work, go over it... make notes... by the time your exams come you would have all the notes you need. Plus it is better to understand something at the time you learn it than later when you have learnt loads of other things!

6) I did not want to be the failure out of my friends... there's always that friend that messes about with you BUT ends up getting good results! ughh!

7) Lastly, don't give up on yourself... only you know your true potential... not your teachers, friends or parents.

My 7 Golden Rules LOL :smile:
Reply 345
Thank you!

1) I prayed

4) Think about it this way, if you don't get the results you need you could be F'D! You might end up in a uni you hate and that's "****", or have to repeat.... So FEAR! lol

5) As soon as you receive work, go over it... make notes... by the time your exams come you would have all the notes you need. Plus it is better to understand something at the time you learn it than later when you have learnt loads of other things!

6) I did not want to be the failure out of my friends... there's always that friend that messes about with you BUT ends up getting good results! ughh!

7) Lastly, don't give up on yourself... only you know your true potential... not your teachers, friends or parents.

Spot on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!

1) I prayed

Wow, you've motivated me to do better this year! :biggrin:
Reply 347
Original post by prettyugly
I'm in a similar position to you :frown: i'm carrying on with A2 and will work my ASS off i know we all say that but during AS i underestimated how much work there would be and i feel like i'm more prepared now but with no january exams i'm VERY VERY worried as i'll be retaking some of my AS exams :frown: And applying to low rank unis is what i'll have to do as my predicted grades won't even be that high. Just have to work hard and get abb at least and then take a gap year to re apply or go through clearing. i hate this :frown: but it's gotta be done, just wish i got better AS grades.

same here like omg lol but ye it sucks major I've had to apply to low rank units and i really don't wanna take a gap year. and retaking exams worries me too !! I wish you all the best xx
Original post by stressed.human
Wow, you've motivated me to do better this year! :biggrin:

I hope you do great, make sure you post how it went! x

All the best
Reply 349
Original post by nukethemaly
During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.

How did you do it??
Can someone tell me if they managed to pass AQA English literature that subject gets impossible as the day comes! Closed book exam though wth
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Can someone tell me if they managed to pass AQA English literature that subject gets impossible as the day comes! Closed book exam though wth

What specification are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hudsonxoxo
What specification are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

B I think? Its the gothic genre so doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and Pardoners Tale
Mine went the other way round unfortunately, AAAA at AS and finished with ABB at A-level, ended up missing my offer for medicine (AAB) :cry2:
Original post by SharminaSyeda
B I think? Its the gothic genre so doing Frankenstein, Macbeth and Pardoners Tale

Oh I'm doing A, the theme is love through the ages, so scared for summer exams, got a D at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by msewell12
Went from ABBC at AS to A*A*A at A2. Worked 10 hours a day and didn't really have any social life for a year. But it's worth it in the end.

Wow, awesome improvement, did you take any resits? and what were your subjects??
Reply 356
Oh I'm doing A, the theme is love through the ages, so scared for summer exams, got a D at AS

[URhttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app]Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Love Through the Ages too! How are you finding it so far? We've been focusing mainly on coursework until a few weeks ago, lol
Original post by zahra_d
I'm doing Love Through the Ages too! How are you finding it so far? We've been focusing mainly on coursework until a few weeks ago, lol

Same what are you doing your cw on? I have a mock in January too which I haven't done enough wider reading for. It's an alright theme I guess though, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymοοse
Mine went the other way round unfortunately, AAAA at AS and finished with ABB at A-level, ended up missing my offer for medicine (AAB) :cry2:

So what you doing now
Reply 359
Same what are you doing your cw on? I have a mock in January too which I haven't done enough wider reading for. It's an alright theme I guess though, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing my coursework on the writers' presentation of the nature of love. Looking at Othello, Birdsong & Wuthering Heights. Oh we did our mocks in November, but since we'd only been focusing on coursework (and our head of sixth form was making us do a mock for English) it was just to see how we'd cope with the exam style so we weren't expected to do well, lol. I found it alright though, just recapped on wider reading from last year, did a few practice paragraphs and ended up getting a B - good luck! Hope it all goes well :smile:

What are you doing your coursework on? And which texts?

Quick Reply

Latest