The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

I've finished, no interview at another college. Not sure what to think of it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1061
Original post by theCreator
I've finished, no interview at another college. Not sure what to think of it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wish I was you. I've got one at another college in less than an hour, so scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Said my goodbyes to Oxford and now an hour away from home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChemTom
I'm one of 14 year 13s doing chemistry but the only one they've had for years who has applied for it at university :/ I'm from Leeds and no one from here seems to want to do it :frown: where are you from? And where have you applied???? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Solihull haha, same, not many people at all want to do chemistry here, if they do it's mainly chemical engineering, not pure chemistry :/ It's only me and my friend, so in a way we're kind of competing with eachother, but we haven't really applied to the same universities anyway haha
I've applied to Manchester, Sheffield, York, Nottingham and Keele, the only one I haven't heard back from yet is Sheffield and I've got an interview at Manchester tomorrow arrghh! How about you? :smile:
Seems like a few of us haven't had any second college interviews...either accepted or rejected :s-smilie: Now we wait...
Original post by Bookler_Natsu
For the answer of the first question, I would say it's due to nervousness, lack of sleep and time.
I don't think the last question can be answered just yet, I don't know why but there's a general rule somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea I know something about you cant reveal any questions, I was looking at some past questions, and some seem quite easy as in there's a lot to talk about. But others, especially the physical chemistry bit I would of struggled to answer.
Reply 1066
Original post by andyt8765
Congrats! Durham are the last uni I'm waiting to hear from :eek:

Did you apply to imperial?
Original post by rav4
Did you apply to imperial?

Nope; York, Nottingham, Warwick and Bath I'm afraid.
Reply 1068
Original post by ChemTom
I'm one of 14 year 13s doing chemistry but the only one they've had for years who has applied for it at university :/ I'm from Leeds and no one from here seems to want to do it :frown: where are you from? And where have you applied???? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by RoseBrilliante
I'm from Solihull haha, same, not many people at all want to do chemistry here, if they do it's mainly chemical engineering, not pure chemistry :/ It's only me and my friend, so in a way we're kind of competing with eachother, but we haven't really applied to the same universities anyway haha
I've applied to Manchester, Sheffield, York, Nottingham and Keele, the only one I haven't heard back from yet is Sheffield and I've got an interview at Manchester tomorrow arrghh! How about you? :smile:

Hey, when did you send your application off? I sent mine on the 20th Nov and I haven't heard anything for manchester, except a confirmation email :l
Reply 1069
Original post by RoseBrilliante

I got my offer from Birmingham which came today so I am very happy! I applied to Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham and Huddersfield :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1070
Original post by Bobby2
Hey, when did you send your application off? I sent mine on the 20th Nov and I haven't heard anything for manchester, except a confirmation email :l

It went to UCAS on the 4th November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now that everyone's finished. How did everyone find the Oxford interviews?
Reply 1072
Original post by ChemTom
It went to UCAS on the 4th November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok :smile:
Reply 1073
Just had an interview at sheffield the other day, it was awful but i still got an offer yay
Reply 1074

Hard though my third interview at Brasenose was easier than the Wadham interviews but still hard :'(
Original post by cube123
Hard though my third interview at Brasenose was easier than the Wadham interviews but still hard :'(

I forgot you were also at Wadham, we must have met each other then...:colone:

Did you want to have another interview at a different college?
Reply 1076
Hi everyone!
I am finally home after a rather lengthy stay in Oxford.
Needless to say, I am in love with the place. :biggrin:
Reply 1077
Original post by peasandcarrots
Ah I have Keble College Oxford interview tomorrow and reading through this thread has made it all sink in. I don't want to do it :frown: And now I have to pack..

I was at Keble! I wonder if we met :colone:
Reply 1078

I think they were OK. They were definitely very very difficult, but they went better than I expected and better than my mock interviews. I was able to answer a decent amount of questions, and if I wasn't, or if I answered something wrong, I was able to pick up on their hints and get to the right answer.
My first one was on physical and inorganic which I felt went quite well, and at the end they said it was good, though I don't know whether that was because I looked mortified. And someone was watching the interview the whole time, perhaps a PhD student or something, and after I left, she left as well, and she said well done. So that kind of made me feel better.
The second one was on organic and maths, which was harder mainly because I haven't done any A2 organics yet and the woman was going through it all so fast, it was hard to follow. But I think I did fine on the maths.
In the end, 9 out of 27 Keble chemists were sent home without follow up interviews (including me). This 9 must me made up of a few who ranked at the very top and a few at the very bottom. I really don't think I could've been at the very bottom, especially since they take into account your background (first person from my school to apply to Oxbridge, etc).
On the other hand, I don't want to get my hopes up. I guess we'll see in January. Even though all of the decisions will be made by the end of this week :angry:
How did yours go? :biggrin:
Reply 1079
Original post by chemistryIH
Did people have 2 or 3 interviews at oxford! I had 3

I had two, both at my college.

Quick Reply

Latest