The Student Room Group

C1- Integration help!

Can someone help me with the following two questions please :smile:

dxdt=3t22t+1\frac{dx}{dt}=3t^2-2t+1 and that x=2x=2 when t=1t=1, find the value of xx when t=2t=2

Right so the question comes under the topic of integration but I don't really understand what its asking me. If I was doing this in the exam I wouldn't know that I would have to integrate. So once I have integrated this. I got

t3t2+x+C t^3-t^2+x+C What do I do next?

Next one is dxdt=(t+1)2\frac{dx}{dt}=(t+1)^2 and the x=0x=0 when t=2t=2, find the value of xx when t=3t=3. I think if I knew how to do the first question I should be able to do the second one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile: P.S how would I know that I would have to integrate this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
when you integrate you must include a constant c
Reply 2
You need to recognise the question gives you dx/dt which is the the differential with respect to t of y.
So you integrate dx/dt with respect to t and you should acquire t^3+t^2+t+k. You have t^3+t^2+x which shows you do not know what the actual process of integration is doing. Rewrite dx/dt if it make it more familiar to have say dy/dx. If you don't have limits to integrate between then you must assume there is some constant (k) which can be zero. Since x had been differentiated any constant will be lost in this process when integrating we must assume there was one there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
when you integrate you must include a constant c

DAMN IT! I completely forgot
Reply 4
Original post by tmorrall
You need to recognise the question gives you dx/dt which is the the differential with respect to t of y.
So you integrate dx/dt with respect to t and you should acquire t^3+t^2+t+k. You have t^3+t^2+x which shows you do not know what the actual process of integration is doing. Rewrite dx/dt if it make it more familiar to have say dy/dx. If you don't have limits to integrate between then you must assume there is some constant (k) which can be zero. Since x had been differentiated any constant will be lost in this process when integrating we must assume there was one there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right I understood that part, but what is it asking me to do when it gives values of x and t?
Reply 5
Original post by Super199
Right I understood that part, but what is it asking me to do when it gives values of x and t?

So if you integrate dx/dt with respect to t you get the function of x so now you know x=t^3+t^2+t+k. You know a value for t when x is whatever. Sub them both in solve for your k so now you know the full equation since you know the constant k now. You can then do the next part. Note also that you have integrated with respect to t so the when you integrate the 1 it becomes t not x. If you had dy/dx is 10x+1 integrate with respect to x you get 5x^2+x+k not 5x^2+y+k :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
So if you integrate dx/dt with respect to t you get the function of x so now you know x=t^3+t^2+t+k. You know a value for t when x is whatever. Sub them both in solve for your k so now you know the full equation since you know the constant k now. You can then do the next part. Note also that you have integrated with respect to t so the when you integrate the 1 it becomes t not x. If you had dy/dx is 10x+1 integrate with respect to x you get 5x^2+x+k not 5x^2+y+k :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I sub 1 for t. 1312+1+c?1^3-1^2+1+c? What do I do about the x? Where would I sub x =2?
Reply 7
So if I sub 1 for t. 1312+1+c?1^3-1^2+1+c? What do I do about the x? Where would I sub x =2?

You know that x=t^3-t^2+t+c at the point where t=1 AND x=2 so replace both your t and your x with their corresponding values and you get 2=1^3-1^2+1+c
2=1-1+1+c
c=1
So now you know the constant you have an equation which you know everything about: x=t^3-t^2+t+1

I hope I am not coming across too patronising. Trying to be as thorough as possible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
You know that x=t^3-t^2+t+c at the point where t=1 AND x=2 so replace both your t and your x with their corresponding values and you get 2=1^3-1^2+1+c
2=1-1+1+c
c=1
So now you know the constant you have an equation which you know everything about: x=t^3-t^2+t+1

I hope I am not coming across too patronising. Trying to be as thorough as possible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow you my friend are a lad!!!! I understand wow thanks. I got x = 7 as my answer :smile:. Thanks man! :smile:
Reply 9
Oh wow you my friend are a lad!!!! I understand wow thanks. I got x = 7 as my answer :smile:. Thanks man! :smile:

Yeah thats it. The more you do calculus the greater your understanding will become. Arguably most applicable maths to real life this stuff!
Haha yeah no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by majmuh24
Integration is the inverse of differentiation, so if you have a derivative dxdt\dfrac{dx}{dt} and want to find a function for x in terms of t, you have to integrate it with respect to t.

To find C, substitute the values that you have been given so x=2 and t=1, so just put these values into the equation you have from integrating the derivative.

Help me with this one please :smile:
y12=x13+3y^\frac{1}{2}=x^\frac{1}{3}+3
a). Show that y=x23+Ax13+By=x^\frac{2}{3}+Ax^\frac{1}{3}+B where A and B are constants to be found
B). Hench find the integral of ydx.

How do I start?
Help me with this one please :smile:
y12=x13+3y^\frac{1}{2}=x^\frac{1}{3}+3
a). Show that y=x23+Ax13+By=x^\frac{2}{3}+Ax^\frac{1}{3}+B where A and B are constants to be found
B). Hench find the integral of ydx.

How do I start?

Well, what would you have to do to turn y12y^{\frac{1}{2}} into yy
Reply 12
Original post by TenOfThem
Well, what would you have to do to turn y12y^{\frac{1}{2}} into yy

square it?
(x13)2=x23(x^\frac{1}{3})^2=x^\frac{2}{3} laws of indices. Then 32=93^2=9 Where is the Ax13Ax^\frac{1}{3} from?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
square it?
(x13)2=x23(x^\frac{1}{3})^2=x^\frac{2}{3} laws of indices. Then 32=93^2=9 Where is the Ax13Ax^\frac{1}{3} from?

Well what do you get when you expand (a+b)2(a+b)^2 ?
square it?

square the RHS too
Reply 15
Original post by davros
Well what do you get when you expand (a+b)2(a+b)^2 ?

Right got it! Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest