The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by SorenaJ
Oh, okay, that makes sense so. I applied the 3rd December, so it hasn't been that long, I'm just impatient, haha. I hear people getting offer after a couple of days, and I'm wondering why it's not me. My grades should be high enough to get an offer from some of the unis, at least. I'm applying for physics, astronomy with physics (Glasgow) and astrophysics (Edinburgh).
Can I ask you something completely different: Do you think I should apply to St. Andrews (astrophysics) instead of Strathclyde? People keep telling me to swap those, but Idk if I'll be able to meet an offer from St. Andrews. I am predicted 41 points and the entry requirements are 38, but I'm pretty sure I won't get 41 at the exams. Do you know if St. Andrews are known to give out lower offers than predicted grades? I won't substitute if I'm going to get an offer that's 41 anyway.

Hm, that's a toughie. It depends on how confident you are, and your preferences.
I'm going to assume you're doing the IB! For example, Glasgow says that it asks for a minimum of 34 points- "IB: A minimum of 34 points is required to be considered for an offer. Actual offers will specify subjects and grades to be attained at Higher Level." According to the Complete University Guide, Glasgow is the top university for physics/astronomy, so by applying there, you still have the prestige of a quality university, and with your predicted grades, the chance of an offer.
Edinburgh also has a great reputation, and is recognised as being one of the best overall universities in Scotland, plus with your grades you stand a strong chance of an offer. Your prediction is way above their minimum requirements, and even their typical offer is "37 points with 555 at HL", whatever HL is...
Strathclyde has an IB minimum of 32, so in that respect you are covered! However, St Andrews is the best university in Scotland, so even being offered a place at such a prestigious university would be pretty amazing. Really, it's hard to say. Strathclyde is a good university, and if you would rather have a strong offer, go for it, but in my opinion St Andrews might be worth the risk. Consider this though- if my saying this is filling you with dread, St Andrews will probably not be for you. Have a look at the sites, think about what you want from university life; the pair both have completely different 'personalities' as institutes, and usually one is more suited, or drawn to a choice.
has anyone got an offer from birmingham city yet?
Reply 1002
Applied to 5 different choices on the 5th. Received many confirmation emails but UCAS hasn't updated since then. Time will tell!!

One Uni emailed with a login to their moodle for me to track my application and their guide says they will reply within 10 days!
Received my fee status confirmation email from Dundee (Home/EU students)! :smile: Waiting for an offer, now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1004
Original post by Grace_14
What did you apply for?

Chemistry
Original post by saraw26
Just staring at track and shouting "LOVE ME"...

...yeah, reckon that'll work :erm:

Original post by Mr...
Jesus...:colone:

It worked haha! Got my first offer yesterday, whoop!

So everyone, just shout stuff at UCAS and it might appear :wink:
Reply 1006
Original post by TheHolubowskyj
I've logged into Track so often I've memorised my Personal ID...

same!
Original post by simsim96
same!

I have also memorised my personal ID lol
I go on the tracker a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1008
Original post by Saleem Aslam
I have also memorised my personal ID lol
I go on the tracker a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

which unis r u applying for ? and wat courses ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simsim96
which unis r u applying for ? and wat courses ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for
International business - University of Kent
International business - University of Liverpool
International business management - Northumbria University
International business management - University of Surrey
International business management - University of Sheffield
What about you ?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gotzz
Chemistry

Really? That's so odd! They replied to me (also Chemistry) pretty quickly.
I sent my application of 7 weeks ago and applied to 3 universities (keele, MMU and BCU) I've had offers from Keele and Manchester Met but only an acknowledgement from BCU which is my first choice, the wait is killing me!
Original post by CodyH1996
has anyone got an offer from birmingham city yet?

depends on the course, my friend wants to study English and got an offer within days of sending off her application. I want to study media and communication and have only had a confirmation email through. I sent my application off in October and need an interview before anything!
I thin what they do is go through everyone's application for the course and send the offers all at the same time...
Reply 1013
Original post by Grace_14
Really? That's so odd! They replied to me (also Chemistry) pretty quickly.

Yeah, I know the reason. Around the time they sent out all those offers, I got an email asking for proof of a residence permit. This made me realise that I selected the wrong thing on my UCAS regarding my residential status, so I had to get that changed. I got it changed immediately but Warwick took a really long time to make a note of the change, only doing so less than 3 weeks ago. So my application was essentially on hold while they were waiting for me to send the documents I didn't actually need to send (even though I told them immediately that I didn't need to send them). So I guess it makes sense.
Sorry for the rant :lol:
Just received my first offer, from Southampton, for archaeology & history! Sooo happy!
Original post by Gotzz
Yeah, I know the reason. Around the time they sent out all those offers, I got an email asking for proof of a residence permit. This made me realise that I selected the wrong thing on my UCAS regarding my residential status, so I had to get that changed. I got it changed immediately but Warwick took a really long time to make a note of the change, only doing so less than 3 weeks ago. So my application was essentially on hold while they were waiting for me to send the documents I didn't actually need to send (even though I told them immediately that I didn't need to send them). So I guess it makes sense.
Sorry for the rant :lol:

Mine was sent this time last week, but I see what you mean. It's so easy to make a mistake on it - there's so much STUFF! XD
Man everyone else seems to get all of their offers really quickly, I've been waiting since the 18th of November for my unis to respond which NONE of them have :s-smilie:, I think I might email one of them to see whats going on :/
Original post by lorax24601
Man everyone else seems to get all of their offers really quickly, I've been waiting since the 18th of November for my unis to respond which NONE of them have :s-smilie:, I think I might email one of them to see whats going on :/

I wouldn't do that really....If they have your application you bugging them isn't going to speed anything up.

Just wait, some people end up having to wait until the deadline...It hasn't even been a month yet really.
Reply 1018
I did it for warwick but said I hadn't received an acknowledgment email and turns out I was meant to recieve an offer on the 15th of nov. They had misplaced my application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unconditional from Oxford

Latest

Trending

Trending