The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by sambe
It is just not possible to compete with 3 A levels under the main scheme - that's why the additional scheme has been set up.

what's the additional scheme? and tbf I called them up and asked them if I would be alright with 3 A2's and she said yeah I would be absolutely fine.. I could have easily carried on the 4th AS if i had known it would make a difference because I was pedicted an A* in it and I know someone got in with 3 alevels, AABB at AS and 710 UKCAT so am so annoyed
Original post by sambe
Yes but applicants ucas tariff was bound to increase after Barts published the 2013 data.

Yeah, I'm annoyed with myself for choosing it really. Just seems like I have wasted a choice.
Reply 902
Thats why I asked her lol..i regret applying there tbh but oh well..it annoys me though how they have AAAb as the min. grades needed to be offered a place and it's soo wrong.
Reply 903
Original post by MJK91
Yeah sorry, correction 720 is the highest so far. Misread the thread haha.

I guess if 720 is rejected and people with lower than that haven't heard yet there must be a **** load more to come tomorrow :/ eek. It's mean of them to reject before inviting anyone!

Makes so much more sense though. Cut out people that are way below their idealised standards, then you've got fewer applicants to whittle down to the select few that get invited to interview. That way you have the best (in their terms) people selected for interview.
Reply 904
Original post by skotch
Makes so much more sense though. Cut out people that are way below their idealised standards, then you've got fewer applicants to whittle down to the select few that get invited to interview. That way you have the best (in their terms) people selected for interview.

Oh dear I only got 670 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 905
Original post by unnati212
Oh dear I only got 670 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where else did you apply?
well reading through all the scores for the people that have been rejected I hope I'm not the only one in the 'i'm so going to be rejected soon' frame of mind.

My ukcat and ucas tariff is like nowhere near as good as everyone else!
Original post by blissfully
well reading through all the scores for the people that have been rejected I hope I'm not the only one in the 'i'm so going to be rejected soon' frame of mind.

Do you mind me asking your ukcat and ucas tariff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jollygood
Do you mind me asking your ukcat and ucas tariff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ucas - 570/580
ukcat - 685
Reply 909
Original post by blissfully

Me too! I'm 99.9% sure the next time I get a UCAS track update it'll be my rejection. :frown:
Reply 910
Original post by sambe
It would be interesting to know whether applicants were aware of the additional scheme. Would it be possible to indicate when posting a reply.

What do you mean of the additional scheme? :smile:
Reply 911
Original post by appleby
I think they are discussing this:

How we use the UCAS Tariff

For school-leavers/gap year students, you must be predicted to achieve a UCAS Tariff of at least 460. We expect you to take all exams for which we have been given a predicted result.

We are not able to give you advice on the minimum score we require, since it varies from year to year; however, it is unlikely that you would be offered an interview if you obtained a UCAS Tariff of less than 460, although there is no guarantee you will be offered an interview if you score above this.

UCAS Tariff is not relevant for graduates who apply for either the 5 year or 4 year programme.

Scheme for Students attending Institutions which inhibit additional tariff scoring:

We wish to avoid unfair discrimination on criteria beyond an applicant's control. An example of such a case might be if a candidate’s school or college does not allow him/her to sit a range of examinations broad enough to permit him/her to achieve the UCAS Tariff needed to gain an interview (as outlined in this first two bullet points of this section). Accordingly, we have reserved up to 25 places in which such applicants will be considered independently of their UCAS Tariff i.e. only the UKCAT score and other information on the overall application will be used to determine who will be offered an interview. (The minimum academic criteria will still apply.) To be considered for this scheme, the head of the institution from which the candidate is applying must write to the Senior Tutor for Admissions by 15th October of the year preceding proposed entry (e.g. 15.10.12 for 2013 admission) ([email protected]), explaining that their institution’s policies or facilities mean that their candidates cannot take more than 3 A levels and a fourth AS level and therefore are disadvantaged from competing with candidates from other institutions in terms of achieving comparable UCAS Tariff scores. The justification must relate to the institution and not the individual candidate’s ability and there are no restrictions on type of institution. These applicants will then be considered separately and in competition with each other.

Where a candidate has a higher tariff score but their Institution falls into this category, they are welcome to apply under this scheme and put themselves in competition with other applicants, based on UKCAT score and other information on the overall application.

Oh right, if there are only 25 places reserved for those guys would you say the competition for them is way worse or the other way round? :tongue:
Reply 912
Just looking at this I'm seriously worried about my tariff.. I have aaab at as and A* A A prediction and a ten points from something else, surely I should have had a rejection?? not even sure if I've added up right ~:frown:
Reply 913
I am so confused by looking at the last few posts.... people with amazing grades were rejected on the basis of not having the chance to do more A levels.... It is just ridiculous to reject people with 3A* but accept people with 3A*A ....
Reply 914
Is everyone who was rejected a graduate ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 915
Original post by Conaura
Is everyone who was rejected a graduate ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think mostly school leavers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are Barts rejecting those not invited for an interview all at one go?

... sick of refreshing my email inbox... can the rejection just come already! :frown:
I have no hope of getting into Barts based on the stats of those who are already rejected!
Reply 917
did Barts give out rejections in batches last year?
Original post by nhta112
did Barts give out rejections in batches last year?

Someone please answer this question :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending