The Student Room Group

Why do people think that all feminists are women?

Genuine question. People seem to think that feminism only deals with women's issues so only women can be feminists.

The way I see it at least, feminism is about countering gender roles rather than dealing with misogyny (although the two do go hand in hand), which as a fairly effeminate man I feel is quite important.

Scroll to see replies

Because feminism is mainly about equality, and women want to represent their gender in society so they can work towards that.
What part of your "gender role" (a subjective and untrue term to describe reality) do you feel uncomfortable with?
Historically feminism has only been about women and I guess the meaning has just stuck as a movement concerned with the discrimination of women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DirtyHarry01
Because feminism is mainly about equality.

You have lived a very sheltered life if you think this is the case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they find it hard to believe not everyone has a misogynistic mindset because hey, why should men care about women? :rolleyes:
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Because they find it hard to believe not everyone has a misogynistic mindset because hey, why should men care about women? :rolleyes:

Many men (like me) are egalitarians. That does not mean we espouse the ridiculous rubbish that modern feminists spew.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Many men (like me) are egalitarians. That does not mean we espouse the ridiculous rubbish that modern feminists spew.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you believe in gender equality, you are by definition a feminist. That doesn't mean you have to agree with certain feminist groups.
Reply 8
Original post by The_Duck
Genuine question. People seem to think that feminism only deals with women's issues so only women can be feminists.

The way I see it at least, feminism is about countering gender roles rather than dealing with misogyny (although the two do go hand in hand), which as a fairly effeminate man I feel is quite important.

Because feminism is blatant, legal, socially acceptable sexism. Feminism does only deal with women's issues.

Else why haven't they campaigned for me sit next to some little girl on a plane without being called pedo just 'cause I'm a guy, they get a WHOLE year off of work, paid for the most part, whenever they damn well please. They recieve the benefit of the doubt in rape cases, which are beomcing harder to fight considering the whole "innocent 'til proven guilty" thing doesn't work for society.

There is the problem of people being treated better than me for no other reason than gender being brought forth by the feminist movement. Call it egomania, but screw them. Why should I get treated worse than some lassie for the only reason she has girlie parts? Being an egomaniac - I'd much prefer people pay attention to me at all times :yep:
If you believe in gender equality, you are by definition a feminist. That doesn't mean you have to agree with certain feminist groups.

I do not use the term feminist in place of egalitarian as it is inherently sexist. Why should women get their gender attached to an egalitarian movement, especially when so many hate men? NB: I don't actually care about this but it is the kind of triviality that modern feminists love to pick up on so why shouldn't I?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do not use the term feminist in place of egalitarian as it is inherently sexist. Why should women get their gender attached to an egalitarian movement, especially when so many hate men? NB: I don't actually care about this but it is the kind of triviality that modern feminists love to pick up on so why shouldn't I?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because women are the sex not in the position of power and so it reflects that. Not because it is sexist.

Also can I have some evidence on these apparent trivial things

that's the thing about that word I don't like: if it's about equality, why the need for the prefix "fem" if it's not meant to prioritise one gender over another? why not a term like "gender egalitarian"? if I said "I'm a masculinist" meaning that I believe that men should be equal to women, I'd probably get a lot of funny looks but obviously there are probably just as many injustices towards men that there are towards women today, I'd be inclined to say it's worse for men at the moment with all the stress put onto the "women must be focused on" mentality we've be taught to adopt
Because women are the sex not in the position of power and so it reflects that. Not because it is sexist.

The legal system totally supports women nowadays. Legally women are in a position of power.

An example from today: on the tube a guy was told he was sexist for offering a woman his seat :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheLoveDoctor
that's the thing about that word I don't like: if it's about equality, why the need for the prefix "fem" if it's not meant to prioritise one gender over another? why not a term like "gender egalitarian"? if I said "I'm a masculinist" meaning that I believe that men should be equal to women, I'd probably get a lot of funny looks but obviously there are probably just as many injustices towards men that there are towards women today, I'd be inclined to say it's worse for men at the moment with all the stress put onto the "women must be focused on" mentality we've be taught to adopt

This is pretty much the point. I find it ironic that feminists don't realise that the name of their movement is sexist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Duck

Hmm, I wonder what would give that impression.
A lot of 'male feminists' I've come across aren't actually feminists at all. I feel like they like the label because it makes them seem more appealing to (some) women. I know a guy who claims he is here for the cause but in his next breath he will call a female a bitch.
There are male feminists out there who are aware of their 'male privilege' and even actively support feminism, but just be wary of them.
Original post by JaiiStarh
A lot of 'male feminists' I've come across aren't actually feminists at all. I feel like they like the label because it makes them seem more appealing to (some) women. I know a guy who claims he is here for the cause but in his next breath he will call a female a bitch.
There are male feminists out there who are aware of their 'male privilege' and even actively support feminism, but just be wary of them.

:lol: sexist much?

"For the cause" is something that really pisses me off...you sound militant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good topique !
Reply 18

Whoa whoa whoa,lets not get ahead of ourselves, shall we? .Women make up 51% of the world's 7 billion people, which is, by the by, the majority, and thus it is males who are the minority. The only reason women aren't in power is because they don't get off their asses and take said power. A girl can take a hold of most men by batting their eyelashes, why they haven't used this to take over the world is beyond me, but I'd be sure to bring it up next time you gals have a meeting :yep:
:lol: sexist much?

"For the cause" is something that really pisses me off...you sound militant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lool yup definitely sexist to state that I've seen and experienced some men claiming to be 'into' feminism in an attempt to get into a females pants.

If you want to take three words and decide I'm 'militant', go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending