The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth uni nightlife/ accommodation/undergrads 2014

Hi,

I recently received a confirmed place at Bournemouth, does anyone know when I can apply for accommodation and where/what the best accommodation is? I have heard crandbourne or dorchester are the best ones?
I am also interested in nightlife and day to day life in bournemouth can anyone tell me a bit about it?

Also hi to anyone starting in 2014! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am Mayank. You can call me mike. Alright, if you have a confirmed place then, you need to first deposit some amount, It's written on your Unconditional offer letter. After that you can apply for an accommodation. As far as your accommodation is concerned Dorchester is far much better. I have applied for Dorchester jan,2014.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Hi,

I havent received my letter in the post yet so hopefully that will be here this week.
How much around about is the deposit?
I heard dorchester mostly hosts postgrads?

Thanks
Original post by Egaffney
Hi,

I havent received my letter in the post yet so hopefully that will be here this week.
How much around about is the deposit?
I heard dorchester mostly hosts postgrads?

Thanks

I have applied for a business and management course and the deposit is GBP 2000. Yes, you heard it right, Dorchester and chesil is mostly for postgraduates and for people applying in January.
Reply 4
Hi, Dorchester is mostly for undergrads! I am living there now and 90% are undergrads in their first year. Compared to all the other halls my course friends live in, Dorchester is pure luxury!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I think the nightlife is great if you're into 'typical' clubs and bars, lots of choice and always a mix of both locals and students in town. Very popular with stag and hen nights from around the country most weekends, so I assume it's that much better than everywhere else!

However if you're into alternative clubs/nightlife, there really isn't a lot of choice around.
Original post by nugget200
Hi, Dorchester is mostly for undergrads! I am living there now and 90% are undergrads in their first year. Compared to all the other halls my course friends live in, Dorchester is pure luxury!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you in a studio? :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by mxcs
I think the nightlife is great if you're into 'typical' clubs and bars, lots of choice and always a mix of both locals and students in town. Very popular with stag and hen nights from around the country most weekends, so I assume it's that much better than everywhere else!

However if you're into alternative clubs/nightlife, there really isn't a lot of choice around.

Thanks! I'm quite into the alternative scene, I quite like some metal music but you know normal clubs are alright too, a friend told me sound circus is quite alternative?
Reply 8
Original post by nugget200

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am honestly so surprised at how expensive accommodation is! I was kind of hoping for my own bathroom but I really don't think I will be able to afford it haha. Is dorchester a party block? I do like to go to a party or two! haha
Reply 9
Thanks! I'm quite into the alternative scene, I quite like some metal music but you know normal clubs are alright too, a friend told me sound circus is quite alternative?

That's true :smile: I like metal & rock too, really enjoyed going there a few times before with a group of friends who were into the music as well. It's not somewhere I'd go every week but fun once in a while!
Reply 10
Hey there, The alt scene was dead before I joined uni this year however within the last couple of weeks I have started a society which now has regular outings and is a great way to make friends with similar interests. The clubbing scene in bournemouth is aimed more at the 'mainstream' clubbers and tends to be more grime and house music. Sound circus is a lovely place but can tend to be dead majority of the time so I advice you to take a big group of people with you. The Anvil and inferno are amazing bars which tend to Alt music, The Anvil for Metal and The Inferno for Rock and Punk. Can't get you any help on the halls i'm afraid as I got refused it and put in a Unilet i'm afraid.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
Reply 11
Original post by Raptorili
Hey there, The alt scene was dead before I joined uni this year however within the last couple of weeks I have started a society which now has regular outings and is a great way to make friends with similar interests. The clubbing scene in bournemouth is aimed more at the 'mainstream' clubbers and tends to be more grime and house music. Sound circus is a lovely place but can tend to be dead majority of the time so I advice you to take a big group of people with you. The Anvil and inferno are amazing bars which tend to Alt music, The Anvil for Metal and The Inferno for Rock and Punk. Can't get you any help on the halls i'm afraid as I got refused it and put in a Unilet i'm afraid.

Oh no why were you refused halls??

Oh that sounds cool! i'd love to know more about your society and maybe get involved next year? :smile:
Reply 12

Oh no why were you refused halls??

Oh that sounds cool! i'd love to know more about your society and maybe get involved next year? :smile:

The first batch filled up before I applied meaning there were non left for the pre exam result appliers.

the society is not official so we do not need to pay members fees etc.. so if you want to join personal message me and I will have to send you a link to our facebook group we do socials weekly and also arrange gigs such as our trip to Electric Six in two weeks!

Any questions regarding it I will be more then happy to talk about :smile:
Reply 13
I visited Bournemouth Uni for 2 days about 3 weeks ago now, I went with 3 friends, 2 of whom had undergrad friends living in Dorchester, we showed up on their doorsteps unexpectadly and they was chill enough to let us stay in their places for our mini holiday lol, not a word was uttered by their roomates who were up for a drink and laugh with these random strangers in their place lol (maybe thats general Uni behaviour but it was sick nonetheless haha) The Dorchester rooms were really good as well.

Its my top choice, and im sure id put Dorchester down if I can as well, it was like a mini-holiday in Bournemouth and its just an amazing place socially. Walk around in the evening 6-9 and you see people out and about buying their pre-drinks (especially Dorchester, there is an ASDA opposite) random students are not afraid to converse with you, its probably easy to get into random parties and stuff lol I only went to one club and its apparently the best in general, its called Cameo but I hear the Fire Station is good too. Sound circus is LITERALLY next door to Dorchester, if its the place im thinking of. And im sure there are alternative places, walking down the streets with all the clubs I did pass a few places which seemed to cater to a niche, one place had a lot of dread heads outside lol but generally the clubs are mainstream.

Its my top choice, im hoping and praying I get in to BU, im literally fantasizing about spending 3 years there haha. Im sure I will apply for Dorchester as well, I hope to see you there come next September then :smile:
Original post by blu95
I visited Bournemouth Uni for 2 days about 3 weeks ago now, I went with 3 friends, 2 of whom had undergrad friends living in Dorchester, we showed up on their doorsteps unexpectadly and they was chill enough to let us stay in their places for our mini holiday lol, not a word was uttered by their roomates who were up for a drink and laugh with these random strangers in their place lol (maybe thats general Uni behaviour but it was sick nonetheless haha) The Dorchester rooms were really good as well.

Its my top choice, and im sure id put Dorchester down if I can as well, it was like a mini-holiday in Bournemouth and its just an amazing place socially. Walk around in the evening 6-9 and you see people out and about buying their pre-drinks (especially Dorchester, there is an ASDA opposite) random students are not afraid to converse with you, its probably easy to get into random parties and stuff lol I only went to one club and its apparently the best in general, its called Cameo but I hear the Fire Station is good too. Sound circus is LITERALLY next door to Dorchester, if its the place im thinking of. And im sure there are alternative places, walking down the streets with all the clubs I did pass a few places which seemed to cater to a niche, one place had a lot of dread heads outside lol but generally the clubs are mainstream.

Its my top choice, im hoping and praying I get in to BU, im literally fantasizing about spending 3 years there haha. Im sure I will apply for Dorchester as well, I hope to see you there come next September then :smile:

Cameoooooooo, I love me some cams and I live in Dorchester house too. Trust Bournemouth is the best plAce to be if you're a student. And you made the right choice by applying there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently some of the accomodation has beach views, dorchester looks so lovely! Bournemouth nightlife is supposed to be one of the best in the country :smile:
The first batch filled up before I applied meaning there were non left for the pre exam result appliers.

the society is not official so we do not need to pay members fees etc.. so if you want to join personal message me and I will have to send you a link to our facebook group we do socials weekly and also arrange gigs such as our trip to Electric Six in two weeks!

Any questions regarding it I will be more then happy to talk about :smile:

Hey! I'm a huge rock/metal fan and would love to know more! Do you mind PMing me the link?
Reply 17
Ignore the spam on the page I really need to go through and clean it. But the link is here.
Ignore the spam on the page I really need to go through and clean it. But the link is here.

thanks!
Reply 19
Hi,

I recently received a confirmed place at Bournemouth, does anyone know when I can apply for accommodation and where/what the best accommodation is? I have heard crandbourne or dorchester are the best ones?
I am also interested in nightlife and day to day life in bournemouth can anyone tell me a bit about it?

Also hi to anyone starting in 2014! :smile:

Having same problem! Have you decided between cranborne and dorchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending