The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Have any other internationals had their interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nahomyemane778
On the Interview timetable it says we have to be there by 5pm on Sunday 15th December- but it says if you're travelling far they can accommodate you so you arrive a day earlier. (Do they mean arrive Saturday and stay overnight?)
I am travelling for 2 hours- in my opinion not that long- what should I do? When do the interviews actually start? The day you arrive on Sunday?- I have a feeling they start on Monday but I just want to be sure- I dont want to get a heart attack and realise I have an interview an hour after I arrive.

Applying for Maths only btw.

Just to confirm, there are no Maths, Maths&Stats, Maths&Phil, Comp, or Comp&Phil interviews scheduled for Sunday (though you can still check with your college if you like). You should still arrive by 5pm on Sunday 15th December for the briefing, to see when you have interviews, and to get settled in.
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
Just to confirm, there are no Maths, Maths&Stats, Maths&Phil, Comp, or Comp&Phil interviews scheduled for Sunday (though you can still check with your college if you like). You should still arrive by 5pm on Sunday 15th December for the briefing, to see when you have interviews, and to get settled in.

Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
You'd need to talk to your specific college about that I'm afraid. They all have slightly different ways of doing things and timings do vary between subjects. Sunday is *normally* just a briefing, with interviews starting on Monday, but it's worth checking.

Thanks for letting me know
just had my interview over Skype.
i completely messed up on the graphing one. As in, i did EVERYTHING wrong. but the second question went alright. My chances are close to 0 now though, the graph was too easy of a question for me to have messed up that badly on :/. I must have came off as so stupid. Second interview in 13 minutes
Original post by 'murica1776
i completely messed up on the graphing one. As in, i did EVERYTHING wrong. but the second question went alright. My chances are close to 0 now though, the graph was too easy of a question for me to have messed up that badly on :/. I must have came off as so stupid. Second interview in 13 minutes

Wow good luck- just relax for now and focus on questions
Reply 2065

I'm sure the tutors will understand that applicants are just nervous during the interviews. I had my telephone interview yesterday, I was freaking out completely! Which colleges are interviewing you, by the way?

One messed-up question doesn't reduce your chances to zero. I've had lots of candidates mess up one question, but then make amends in subsequent questions, and end up getting a place. Good luck!
do you think there will be any stats or mechanics questions? is it worth revising stats and mechanics stuff? i hope not.. :/
Original post by souktik
Yeah, that's fine. While we're on the topic of arranging stuff in circles, take a look at this problem:
Given any arrangement of white and black tokens along the circumference of a circle, one is allowed the following operations- take out a white token and change the colour of both its neighbours, or put in a white token and change the colour of both its neighbours. Is it possible to go from a configuration with just two tokens, both white, to a configuration with two tokens, both black?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Long time no reply, sorry I was trying this problem but couldn't seem to get very far. I believe the answer is no, and playing around with it I believe the key to cracking it would be identifying an invariant i.e something which holds for all configurations stemming from WW, but not for BB. I'm guessing its something positional but as I say I've not really got very far with it.
Just to clarify though, I asked Gabriel Gendler this question (member of the UK IMO Team) and he said only two out of the top 20 UK Mathematicians managed to solve this problem. So I'm guessing its pretty hard. But thanks for the problem anyhow, its very interesting and I would be happy to give it another shot if you gave me some hints towards the solution.
Original post by souktik
I'm sure the tutors will understand that applicants are just nervous during the interviews. I had my telephone interview yesterday, I was freaking out completely! Which colleges are interviewing you, by the way?

How did the interview go for you? Were the questions loosely A Level based, any questions on the PS etc. or typical 'Why Oxford/Maths?' style questions? I'm sure you'll get in, but Im just curious. My interview is on Monday.
Original post by NewtonsApple
How did the interview go for you? Were the questions loosely A Level based, any questions on the PS etc. or typical 'Why Oxford/Maths?' style questions? I'm sure you'll get in, but Im just curious. My interview is on Monday.

I honestly can't say how it went. I was asked a total of 5 questions between the 2 interviews. I know that I completely messed up the first graphical question that I was given in my first interview, and the rest i kind of got through with some (a lot of) help from the tutors. I don't think I'm really at liberty to divulge what the questions were in specific. I don't know what A levels cover, I am an international applicant.
Reply 2071
Long time no reply, sorry I was trying this problem but couldn't seem to get very far. I believe the answer is no, and playing around with it I believe the key to cracking it would be identifying an invariant i.e something which holds for all configurations stemming from WW, but not for BB. I'm guessing its something positional but as I say I've not really got very far with it.
Just to clarify though, I asked Gabriel Gendler this question (member of the UK IMO Team) and he said only two out of the top 20 UK Mathematicians managed to solve this problem. So I'm guessing its pretty hard. But thanks for the problem anyhow, its very interesting and I would be happy to give it another shot if you gave me some hints towards the solution.

My approach was similar, I tried to find an invariant as well. It does look like a simple problem on invariants, doesn't it? But, umm, I failed. :tongue:
Then I tried proving a lemma like this- starting from WW, if the set of configurations that we can reach by adding W's alone be X, and the set of all possible configurations that can be reached be Y, then X=Y. Proved this in a tedious manner, ugly casework. I'm not too happy with it, I'm not even sure if I messed up any details (that'd ruin the proof completely). But this lemma does trivialize the problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2072

EDIT 2: Removed everything, just to be safe.

EDIT: Removed actual example.

ADDITION: It was short (20 minutes) and relatively non-mathematical. Just a couple of simple problems and some questions on my interests.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2073
Original post by souktik
x

That's quite interesting. Your interview seems relatively non-mathematical compared to my own (and everyone I know pretty much, in my first interview I was being asked a maths question before I managed to take my coat off and sit down, and the whole 45 minute interview was maths :lol:) - even more odd given that it finished early. However, you're not supposed to talk about interviews on here (especially interview questions that have come up for the current year) so you should edit the questions out of the post.

(Note, don't read into anything I've said as an indication of whether you're likely to get in or not, I think it's mostly differences with Skype/telephone and non-Skype/telephone interviews, although I'm basing this on one other person I knew who was interviewed on Skype and had a much less mathematical interview as well. I'd be shocked if you were rejected though.)
Reply 2074
Original post by Noble.
That's quite interesting. Your interview seems relatively non-mathematical compared to my own (and everyone I know pretty much, in my first interview I was being asked a maths question before I managed to take my coat off and sit down, and the whole 45 minute interview was maths :lol:) - even more odd given that it finished early. However, you're not supposed to talk about interviews on here (especially interview questions that have come up for the current year) so you should edit the questions out of the post.

(Note, don't read into anything I've said as an indication of whether you're likely to get in or not, I think it's mostly differences with Skype/telephone and non-Skype/telephone interviews, although I'm basing this on one other person I knew who was interviewed on Skype and had a much less mathematical interview as well. I'd be shocked if you were rejected though.)

Yes, I hadn't been expecting just four short and relatively easy problems. :tongue:
It ended within 20 minutes, but the tutor said at the beginning that it'd take about 30. That confused me a little as well.
It might be the Skype/phone thing, but I do have another theory. St John's explicitly states that the interviews are given relatively little weight while making admissions decisions for maths; they mostly use grades and MAT scores. Do you think it's possible that they didn't go hardcore because the interview wouldn't matter to them much anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2075
Original post by souktik
Yes, I hadn't been expecting just four short and relatively easy problems. :tongue:
It ended within 20 minutes, but the tutor said at the beginning that it'd take about 30. That confused me a little as well.
It might be the Skype/phone thing, but I do have another theory. St John's explicitly states that the interviews are given relatively little weight while making admissions decisions for maths; they mostly use grades and MAT scores. Do you think it's possible that they didn't go hardcore because the interview wouldn't matter to them much anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, St. John's has been the only college (that I know of) that has actually stated little weight is given to the interview. However, all colleges in Oxford pretty much use the same policies (otherwise your chances would be better off applying to a certain college, something Oxford actively try to avoid happening, and it'll can cause a nightmare for pooling) so you can be pretty sure that all colleges give 'little' weight to the interview (whatever 'little' means - it's about the least quantitative word I've heard all week :biggrin:). However, it must be said, for the majority of applicants that 'little' weight given to the interview is probably the difference between an offer and a rejection. I think the biggest factor is the Skype/telephone interview, it's considerably more difficult conducting the type of interviews you'd have in person, over the phone. Just because 'little' weight is given to the interview, that isn't really an excuse to give more laid-back interviews, that makes 'little' sense really (especially for pooling purposes, if the interview scores that St. John's post are based on an easier interview it becomes difficult for other colleges to 'standardise'.)
Reply 2076
Original post by Noble.
Yes, St. John's has been the only college (that I know of) that has actually stated little weight is given to the interview. However, all colleges in Oxford pretty much use the same policies (otherwise your chances would be better off applying to a certain college, something Oxford actively try to avoid happening, and it'll can cause a nightmare for pooling) so you can be pretty sure that all colleges give 'little' weight to the interview (whatever 'little' means - it's about the least quantitative word I've heard all week :biggrin:). However, it must be said, for the majority of applicants that 'little' weight given to the interview is probably the difference between an offer and a rejection. I think the biggest factor is the Skype/telephone interview, it's considerably more difficult conducting the type of interviews you'd have in person, over the phone. Just because 'little' weight is given to the interview, that isn't really an excuse to give more laid-back interviews, that makes 'little' sense really (especially for pooling purposes, if the interview scores that St. John's post are based on an easier interview it becomes difficult for other colleges to 'standardise'.)

Uh, yeah. That makes sense. Some problems do become impossible to discuss without being face to face. In any case, it's over. 25 long days left to survive before the final decision.:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2077
Original post by souktik
Uh, yeah. That makes sense. Some problems do become impossible to discuss without being face to face. In any case, it's over. 25 long days left to survive before the final decision.:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ok, it gives you 25 days to relax and get back into whatever studying you've got to do before you confirm your place at Oxford. :tongue:
Original post by Noble.

If "little" weight is given to the interview why are they potentially wasting many people's time?
This is very annoying to hear- why give some people false hope? Why not just select with MAT score instead of this unnecessary process then (if what you say is true) which delays a quick decision by over a month.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2079
Original post by nahomyemane778
If "little" weight is given to the interview why are they potentially wasting many people's time?
This is very annoying to hear- why give some people false hope? Why not just select with MAT score instead of this unnecessary process then (if what you say is true) which delays a quick decision by over a month.

Well, "little" isn't a very specific word. Maybe the ratio of the weight placed on grades and scores to that on the interview is 3:1. That can also be described as "little", but it's not negligible by any standard. (DISCLAIMER: Just a random example, I don't know anything specific!) In any case, St John's is the only college which states that explicitly on their maths webpage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending