The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starryeyedkid
Had my PGCE interview yesterday. Didn't go that great. I think I did OK in the group task and interview but in the presentation section, I think others were far better than what I had and I couldn't play my clip since it took up too much time. The less said about the written task the better. Expecting a rejection on Monday :frown:

[MOD EDIT: discussion of specific interview tasks and questions is against TSR rules and will result in a warning.]
Better get to work on prep for the second interview soo

Oh no, sorry to hear you feel it went badly. You never know, it might not be as bad as you think! I have an interview for a School Direct position on Monday and have a numeracy and literacy test too and I'm soooo nervous about them even though I've passed my skills tests. Eek!
(edited 10 years ago)
Been sent an e-mail off Sheffield Hallam about my interview next Tuesday
[MOD EDIT: discussion of specific interview tasks and questions is against TSR rules and will result in a warning.]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Airfairy
Been sent an e-mail off Sheffield Hallam about my interview next Tuesday:

Yep that's what it sounds like to me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bellylaugh
Yep that's what it sounds like to me! What is the article about?

(edited 10 years ago)
I would read through it thoroughly and perhaps make notes on the key findings, or have a think about how you interpret the information and if you could apply it to your teaching.
I would read through it thoroughly and perhaps make notes on the key findings, or have a think about how you interpret the information and if you could apply it to your teaching.

Yeah I've just had a read now and it's quite interesting actually and not hard to understand so I shouldn't have a problem referring back to it.

Just got an e-mail from my final uni with an interview invitation. Really happy to get three, and even happier my first choice is my last interview because it means I have two chances to mess up and practice if need be!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey

I was hoping you could all give me your opinions on a topic. For one of my interviews I have to do a presentation on any topic of my choice for 5 minutes. I have been told to avoid a topic on the subject I want to teach and to avoid anything that sounds like you are giving a lesson.

I have narrowed it down to two choices. My first one is on a documentary I recently watched (called Bridegroom). I was going to talk about the life of the two guys in it, how one of the families did not accept he was gay, how he died very young, the boyfriend was left with no access to information because they were not married and then his family came over got the boyfriend to pay for the funeral and flying the body back home. The family then took the body home and refused to tell the boyfriend any details of the funeral/memorial etc. He was threatened with an attack if he showed up. It then leads on to the boyfriend now fights for equal marriage rights because if they had been able to marry he would have been able to obtain information of how his partner died.

My problem with this is I am worried it sounds too political and might sound like I am trying to force the idea of equal marriage on them?

My other choice is on the book/film "the perks of being a wallflower". It shows the struggles teenagers face in secondary school, brings in the element of teachers nurturing talent and being more than just a teacher. Also it includes parts about mental health and child abuse.

Any opinions on what would be a better choice are greater appreciated :smile:
Reply 3507
Original post by sophiebath12
Mines on the 16th too, but I applied for 5-11 rather than early years. I haven't heard anything from Bath Spa (5-11) yet and had an acknoloedgement from Wiltshire SCITT. I'm sure you'll hear back from Somerset soon x

Congrats on your interview! :smile: When did you send your application off? I think I send mine off a few days after you, so hopefully I may know today or Monday!! :smile:
Reply 3508
I 'm struggling to find an article to write about for the test part of my interview. Any ideas on where is the best place to look?
Reply 3509
Original post by darren2811
Hey

I was hoping you could all give me your opinions on a topic. For one of my interviews I have to do a presentation on any topic of my choice for 5 minutes. I have been told to avoid a topic on the subject I want to teach and to avoid anything that sounds like you are giving a lesson.

I have narrowed it down to two choices. My first one is on a documentary I recently watched (called Bridegroom). I was going to talk about the life of the two guys in it, how one of the families did not accept he was gay, how he died very young, the boyfriend was left with no access to information because they were not married and then his family came over got the boyfriend to pay for the funeral and flying the body back home. The family then took the body home and refused to tell the boyfriend any details of the funeral/memorial etc. He was threatened with an attack if he showed up. It then leads on to the boyfriend now fights for equal marriage rights because if they had been able to marry he would have been able to obtain information of how his partner died.

My problem with this is I am worried it sounds too political and might sound like I am trying to force the idea of equal marriage on them?

My other choice is on the book/film "the perks of being a wallflower". It shows the struggles teenagers face in secondary school, brings in the element of teachers nurturing talent and being more than just a teacher. Also it includes parts about mental health and child abuse.

I'm not sure what your point would be with the first one? Like I do agree with equal marriage etc but it doesn't seem as relevant as "the perks of being a wallflower".. Which I have seen and do think it relates more to secondary school and can help you talk about teenagers and what they face and yeah about teachers too. It would sound interesting I reckon, maybe make links from the film to your own experience of either high school as a child or through your work experience..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone hearing to wait from the referees? I sent my reference request 9 days ago. :frown:
Hey

I'd definitely go with the book/film and your interpretation of it. Good luck!
Hey

I vote perks. It's really quite relevant to teenage life in a high school and you could easily make some great points out of it.
Original post by dancer54
I 'm struggling to find an article to write about for the test part of my interview. Any ideas on where is the best place to look?

Could you just look through the TES or websites of some of the national papers and see what crops up? For example, in the Daily Mail today (I picked it up while I was at the dentist this morning, don't judge me :biggrin:) there are a couple of articles that you could use.

One about gender segregation in universities:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522925/Now-furious-Gove-says-disgrace-segregate-students-accuses-university-bosses-pandering-extremism.html

One about primary school standards:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522903/Primary-pupils-trapped-failing-schools-fail-reach-minimum-standards.html

The Guardian website might be a good place to look too:
http://www.theguardian.com/education

Good luck!
Reply 3514
Original post by dancer54

Could you just look through the TES or websites of some of the national papers and see what crops up? For example, in the Daily Mail today (I picked it up while I was at the dentist this morning, don't judge me :biggrin:) there are a couple of articles that you could use.

One about gender segregation in universities:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522925/Now-furious-Gove-says-disgrace-segregate-students-accuses-university-bosses-pandering-extremism.html

One about primary school standards:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522903/Primary-pupils-trapped-failing-schools-fail-reach-minimum-standards.html

The Guardian website might be a good place to look too:
http://www.theguardian.com/education

Good luck!

I know you just picked it out because of the easiness - but please dancer, don't use the Daily Mail for your article choice! It's just a 'faux pas' you don't need to make.
Original post by awe
I know you just picked it out because of the easiness - but please dancer, don't use the Daily Mail for your article choice! It's just a 'faux pas' you don't need to make.

THe same articles appear in the other national press titles too such as:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/dec/12/primary-schools-fail-maths-english-standards

Is the content of the article not appropriate or just that it's in the Daily Mail? I'm not too sure whether this is the kind of thing that is appropriate or if it needs to be more of an 'academic' piece?
I have submitted my application on the 5th of December and am still waiting to get an offer/reply from my choices. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?:confused:
Original post by cinderella25
I have submitted my application on the 5th of December and am still waiting to get an offer/reply from my choices. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?:confused:

I'm in the same position, not even had a letter from ucas, must be driving my mum mad texting her all the time to ask if I've had post! I know one of my choices has finished interviewing til after Christmas and I'm on holiday the first week of January so getting on edge!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awe
I know you just picked it out because of the easiness - but <i>please </i>dancer, don't use the Daily Mail for your article choice! It's just a 'faux pas' you don't need to make.

I think as long as you could talk about it objectively and recognise weaknesses it would be okay. The issues are appearing in the media so are clearly issues to some people.

Is the content of the article not appropriate or just that it's in the Daily Mail? I'm not too sure whether this is the kind of thing that is appropriate or if it needs to be more of an 'academic' piece?

I don't see why these kinds of things wouldn't be appropriate. Whilst teaching is academic, issues surrounding education and schools are rooted in society and have relevance in society. Therefore, what comes up in the media is extremely relevant, I would think.
Hey

I think the documentary. With Perks you run the risk of them thinking you just watched the film and thought you'd read the book, plus because the film is quite recent it's probably something they'll have seen already. The documentary sounds much more original.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending