The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3020
Original post by jessology
Got rejected today - would be fine with it, but they sent me the most soul-crushing email.

Basically said that my Personal Statement didn't show enough interest in Anthropology, or enough preparation for the course. I literally have spent the last year working insane hours between studying to try and build a great wealth of experience and preparedness for my Personal Statement; organising events, doing volunteer work in my local museum, getting funded to do a training course in artifact archiving, raising money for charity, watching lectures etc. I have a child, a job and am on a really low income so have only been able to 'make do' with locally available opportunities and reading books rather than go and explore the world, but I was so proud of my Personal Statement! Feel like nobody is going to give me an offer now... they even linked me to their page to show me what they would expect a 'good' statement to have in it. Talk about cold :frown:

Does anyone know if LSE are a bit funny with Access students? They never asked me for predicted grades, or for any information about why I flunked out of school originally. Just feel so deflated. My Cambridge interview had tonnes of references back to my PS, so I kinda thought that was a positive sign!

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection! I'm also a mature student and feel as though I am at a slight disadvantage, regardless of achieving high marks on my Access course. But well done for Cambridge! I haven't heard back from LSE yet (been about 8 weeks now) and I also applied to Oxford but wasn't even invited to interview! So be proud of the fact that you made it to interview at Cambridge!! That's already an achievement!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by di_1996
Got the four weeks email here!
After waiting for 5 weeks then LSE told me to wait another 4 weeks!!! Can't you just tell me the result?!! Probably, I will hear nothing at all until my another four weeks end.:frown:
Also, I don't think the 4 weeks email means anything at all. It just tells me that I haven't been rejected yet and that's all.:s-smilie:

I posted my idea earlier in this thread but I think the 4 week email is the gathering pool. The gathering pool is all those they think are strong enough but want to consider with all the applicants and that's what the 4 week email hints at by the looks of it.

Original post by TerribleTej
My Maths and Physics UMS are exactly the same as yours, and there is only a difference of one number in my Further Maths and Economics scores xD.

What were your F.Maths and Econ scores? Higher most likely. :smile:
Reply 3022
Original post by jessology
Got rejected today - would be fine with it, but they sent me the most soul-crushing email.

Basically said that my Personal Statement didn't show enough interest in Anthropology, or enough preparation for the course. I literally have spent the last year working insane hours between studying to try and build a great wealth of experience and preparedness for my Personal Statement; organising events, doing volunteer work in my local museum, getting funded to do a training course in artifact archiving, raising money for charity, watching lectures etc. I have a child, a job and am on a really low income so have only been able to 'make do' with locally available opportunities and reading books rather than go and explore the world, but I was so proud of my Personal Statement! Feel like nobody is going to give me an offer now... they even linked me to their page to show me what they would expect a 'good' statement to have in it. Talk about cold :frown:

Does anyone know if LSE are a bit funny with Access students? They never asked me for predicted grades, or for any information about why I flunked out of school originally. Just feel so deflated. My Cambridge interview had tonnes of references back to my PS, so I kinda thought that was a positive sign!

I was rejected today too, and I think we got exactly the same email by the sounds of it, so I wouldn't read too much into it tbh, LSE have crazy PS standards!

Commiserations on the rejection, I feel pretty down about mine but there's nothing we can do, and a rejection from LSE is certainly not the end of the world :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Perks25
I'm sorry to hear about your rejection! I'm also a mature student and feel as though I am at a slight disadvantage, regardless of achieving high marks on my Access course. But well done for Cambridge! I haven't heard back from LSE yet (been about 8 weeks now) and I also applied to Oxford but wasn't even invited to interview! So be proud of the fact that you made it to interview at Cambridge!! That's already an achievement!

Thank you :biggrin: ! Wow 8 weeks, what did you apply for? Good luck! If we can get one TSR Mature Student into LSE, that would be awesome!!

I feel a little better now :smile: it's all getting digested - onwards and upwards and all that.
Reply 3024
Original post by ErHi?
I was rejected today too, and I think we got exactly the same email by the sounds of it, so I wouldn't read too much into it tbh, LSE have crazy PS standards!

Commiserations on the rejection, I feel pretty down about mine but there's nothing we can do, and a rejection from LSE is certainly not the end of the world :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask for which subject you applied? Are you also a mature student by chance?
Original post by ErHi?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awh man commiserations to you too *sympathetic fist bump* I think a few people on here have received the PS email. I just kinda had the mindset of "you can pick on me for anything, just leave my PS aloooooone".
Reply 3026
Original post by NedStark
I posted my idea earlier in this thread but I think the 4 week email is the gathering pool. The gathering pool is all those they think are strong enough but want to consider with all the applicants and that's what the 4 week email hints at by the looks of it.

What were your F.Maths and Econ scores? Higher most likely. :smile:

Then what do you think about the "strongest in this application cycle" mail? Did you receive it? (Saw you were an offer older, would be nice if you could give me your point of view, Ned)
Reply 3027
Original post by Perks25
May I ask for which subject you applied? Are you also a mature student by chance?

Economic History and no I'm not! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3028
Original post by hersheys10
Haha.. Well, this is just one part of the application, I have heard that they put a lot of emphasis on the personal statement. Also, if they consider our application strong enough, we have to write an entrance test, UGAA. My dad said that he'll finance a part of it and part would be loan, anyway, I am sure that students are allowed to work there. I have applied there, but I do not know whether it is worth the effort and money or no... I think if it's the best then only a person should go. Anyway, where else have you applied?

I am applying to these four Universities apart from LSE:
University College London
University of Warwick
University of Bristol
Durham University [No college preference (O)]

I really like only 3 of them UCL, Warwick and of course LSE.
Which universities are you applying to?
Original post by ErHi?
Economic History and no I'm not! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sorry to hear about your rejection :'( I'm sure your offer from UCL is making you feel better though :wink:. An offer from either would mean the world to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by solaars
Then what do you think about the "strongest in this application cycle" mail? Did you receive it? (Saw you were an offer older, would be nice if you could give me your point of view, Ned)

I didn't receive it though. I got my offer 7 weeks into the original 5 week email. I think I wasn't too clear but I'm assuming the 4 week email is the "strongest in this application cycle" email. Considering they're making people wait 4 further weeks, this pushes them towards the deadline by which time I believe they will have most applications in. Then they can compare everyone. I think the email is good, it means you haven't been rejected and you still have every chance.
Original post by NedStark
I didn't receive it though. I got my offer 7 weeks into the original 5 week email. I think I wasn't too clear but I'm assuming the 4 week email is the "strongest in this application cycle" email. Considering they're making people wait 4 further weeks, this pushes them towards the deadline by which time I believe they will have most applications in. Then they can compare everyone. I think the email is good, it means you haven't been rejected and you still have every chance.

Which course did you apply for and what were your grades like? :smile:
Reply 3032
Original post by VKrall
Congratulations :smile: when did you send your application (waiting on the same course!)

Thank youu! :smile: I sent it on 24th October. Have you received the 5 week email?
Reply 3033
Original post by Brain25
Thank youu! :smile: I sent it on 24th October. Have you received the 5 week email?

Yep! My 5 weeks ended today, received the "strongest in your cycle" email today as well. Was hoping for a decision before Oxford interviews but looks like I won't hear anything until the new year now!

Congratulations again on your offer :smile:
Original post by VKrall
Yep! My 5 weeks ended today, received the "strongest in your cycle" email today as well. Was hoping for a decision before Oxford interviews but looks like I won't hear anything until the new year now!

Congratulations again on your offer :smile:

Same but i haven't received anything, what course have you applied to?
Reply 3035
Does anyone know whether there were the "strong enough" and "among the strongest" mails last year? I am wondering what the "among the strongest" really means... like how high the chances of getting an offer are after receiving that mail
Original post by schlili
Does anyone know whether there were the "strong enough" and "among the strongest" mails last year? I am wondering what the "among the strongest" really means... like how high the chances of getting an offer are after receiving that mail

I got so happy when I received the "among the strongest" emails, and thought that chances were pretty high. But, now thinking about it... I think they're just saying it to increase the deadline, because if you were really that strong they would have given you an offer by now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bshrestha
Which course did you apply for and what were your grades like? :smile:

I applied for Bsc Economics. For AS I achieved AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics :smile:
Reply 3038
Anything from the maths department today?? I still haven't heard anything!
Reply 3039
Original post by Sun_Bear
Same but i haven't received anything, what course have you applied to?

BA Geography. I've seen two offers on here for my course so far!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending