The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2240
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It certainly is! Do you have any ideas where you might be applying yet? :smile:

I really love the look of the course at Cambridge but Liverpool and RVC look good too! I'm yet to actually visit any of the uni's yet so I guess I'll have to make my mind up soon:smile:
Original post by lucyac
I really love the look of the course at Cambridge but Liverpool and RVC look good too! I'm yet to actually visit any of the uni's yet so I guess I'll have to make my mind up soon:smile:

Fair enough :tongue: I'm not planning on applying for VetMed anymore (I'm thinking more along the lines of Zoology/Ecology now :tongue: ) but back when I was considering it I was always put off by the fact that Camb's course is a year longer than the others, but different strokes for different folks I suppose :smile:
Reply 2242
Fair enough :tongue: I'm not planning on applying for VetMed anymore (I'm thinking more along the lines of Zoology/Ecology now :tongue: ) but back when I was considering it I was always put off by the fact that Camb's course is a year longer than the others, but different strokes for different folks I suppose :smile:

Ooh, sounds interesting :smile: why have you decided not to pursue Vet Med? I actually like the fact that there's an extra year to do something completely different!
Theres more posts on the 2015 thread than the 2014 one!! I wish I had prepared as early as you lot! GOOD LUCK
Original post by lucyac
Ooh, sounds interesting :smile: why have you decided not to pursue Vet Med? I actually like the fact that there's an extra year to do something completely different!

I just grew out of the idea I guess. To be honest I was never 100% certain that it's what I wanted to do, but now I realise that it was never any more than a silly pipe dream. And, well, my GCSE grades weren't exactly anything to be proud of :lol: :redface: ! Its clear that I have an interest in animals, but there are an abundance of careers out there that I would probably be better suited for. VetMed is only the very tip of the animally iceberg! :biggrin:

That's a good point :yep: . I suppose if you're a more rounded person after it then it's worth the investment of your time :biggrin: . What are your thoughts on Surrey/the other new vet schools that may be opening for 2015 entry?

Original post by leprechaaun
Theres more posts on the 2015 thread than the 2014 one!! I wish I had prepared as early as you lot! GOOD LUCK

Heehee, we're a chatty bunch! You too, how is your application going so far :smile: ?
hehee, we're a chatty bunch! You too, how is your application going so far :smile: ?

1 interview at rvc on wednesday D: should be hearing from 2 others within the next month :-) :-)
xxx ?

Your GCSE results were better than mine.. :smile:
Reply 2247
Hi guys and girls, new to student room, fully prepared to apply for Vetmed 2015, and sadly i've got this quick question for you.

Having received a verbal cannabis warning + piece of paper on the street one night after my 18th birthday, will my application to any of the Vet schools (not decided on a certain 4 yet) reject me purely on that basis?

I know for Notts you have to have a DBS check which it can potentially show on, but do you guys think an offense as minor as this will count me out of getting in no matter how strong my application?

Thanks!
Original post by STARint
Hi guys and girls, new to student room, fully prepared to apply for Vetmed 2015, and sadly i've got this quick question for you.

Having received a verbal cannabis warning + piece of paper on the street one night after my 18th birthday, will my application to any of the Vet schools (not decided on a certain 4 yet) reject me purely on that basis?

I know for Notts you have to have a DBS check which it can potentially show on, but do you guys think an offense as minor as this will count me out of getting in no matter how strong my application?

Thanks!
verbal warning generally means it wont be on your record. Did they explain it may be on your record when you were handed the piece of paper...
Original post by STARint

Thanks!

I don't think the other vet schools makes you fill out a CBR form. The reality is I don't know the answer to your question, you are best to phone them up to ask for more details.
Original post by STARint

Thanks!

Hello there, welcome to the forum! :h::

I'm afraid I have no idea whether it would count against you. I'd imagine not as it's not exactly a major offense. I wasn't even aware that they bothered with warnings for cannabis :s-smilie: . Anyway, I found these threads http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1721980&highlight=cannabis+application , http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27567583&highlight=cannabis%20ucas , http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2208341&highlight=cannabis+ucas , http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2118222&highlight=cannabis+ucas and the general consensus seems to be that it won't be a problem :smile: . I'd still agree with SilverStarDJ though, phone up or email the universities to ask them, that's the only place where you're going to get a definitive answer.

--

Also guys, quick biology question if that's okay :colondollar: I asked twice over in the biology AS thread and nobody seems to have an answer for me and my biology teacher isn't terribly approachable :colondollar: . Regarding carriage of carbon dioxide and chloride shift; my textbook says that when a H+ ions dissociate and diffuse out of red blood cells, the HCO3- remains, meaning that the overall charge of the cell would be negative. Why, then, does a Cl- ion diffuse in to 'maintain the charge'? Would adding a negative charge not make it doubly negative? Someone on the AS thread said that ' If H+ leaves, something with a negative charge will likely diffuse in to re-balance the charges', but this still makes no sense to me :frown: .

If I were to express it numerically:
0 - 1 = - 1 (H+ ion leaving)
-1 + (-1) = -2 (Cl- ion diffusing in)

So yeah, I really don't understand how it ends up balancing out. Would anyone care to help a very confuzzled Tails? I appreciate that this really isn't the right place to post this but I'm not getting answers elsewhere and I'm getting a bit desperate :colondollar: Thanks a lot in advance :h::

--

EDIT: I almost pissed myself laughing at this and wanted to share :lol:

[video="youtube;81szj1vpEu8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81szj1vpEu8[/video]

I may or may not have a kangaroo onesie very similar to that one, that I may or may not have worn to school once (it was for Children in Need, don't judge me :cool: :tongue: ).
(edited 10 years ago)

Also guys, quick biology question if that's okay :colondollar: I asked twice over in the biology AS thread and nobody seems to have an answer for me and my biology teacher isn't terribly approachable :colondollar: . Regarding carriage of carbon dioxide and chloride shift; my textbook says that when a H+ ions dissociate and diffuse out of red blood cells, the HCO3- remains, meaning that the overall charge of the cell would be negative. Why, then, does a Cl- ion diffuse in to 'maintain the charge'? Would adding a negative charge not make it doubly negative? Someone on the AS thread said that ' If H+ leaves, something with a negative charge will likely diffuse in to re-balance the charges', but this still makes no sense to me :frown: .

If I were to express it numerically:
0 - 1 = - 1 (H+ ion leaving)
-1 + (-1) = -2 (Cl- ion diffusing in)

So yeah, I really don't understand how it ends up balancing out. Would anyone care to help a very confuzzled Tails? I appreciate that this really isn't the right place to post this but I'm not getting answers elsewhere and I'm getting a bit desperate :colondollar: Thanks a lot in advance :h::

The chloride shift is when Cl- is exchanged for HCO3- because the channel is an antiporter (ie it pumps one substance in at the same time as pumping another out).

In the above diagram, you will see that Cl- is exchanged for HCO3- and hence the charge is maintained.

The reverse happens at the lungs:

Red blood cells are impermeable to positive ions including hydrogen ions. Acidity is buffered by haemoglobulin ie H+ binds to Hb. The influx of cholide ions (chloride shift) helps maintain electroneutrality.

(It's been a couple years since I did a biochem module, hope this makes sense).
(edited 10 years ago)
So I'm about to send my application off for gateway at RVC. If I don't get in, can I reapply?
I'm only talking about gateway here, I know you can usually reapply for normal D100

Edit: Dear PS helpers, would any of you have some time to read over my PS? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Delenelie

Edit: Dear PS helpers, would any of you have some time to read over my PS? :smile:

You need to submit your PS to the PS helper section to get it reviewed. We don't normally get PSes for the next cycle for quite a while yet thought and we can only guarantee one review so might be worth submitting it later on to make sure you've included everything you wanted etc.
Do Veterinary Schools consider your application if you're a foreigner who just came to the UK and had to take GCSEs for one year?

I took mine last year and these are my GCSEs:
Science - B
Additional Science - A
Maths - A
English - B
BTEC Level 2 Travel and Tourism - D*

I saw in the uni websites that they want at least 5 GCSEs and I'm not sure if my BTEC counts because it's not related to Veterinary Medicine. So, I thought of taking Japanese GCSE since I know a bit. (Maybe I'll manage to get a C)

I'm now taking my A-Levels: Biology, Maths, Chemistry, and Level 3 CamTec ICT.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SilverstarDJ
The chloride shift is when Cl- is exchanged for HCO3- because the channel is an antiporter (ie it pumps one substance in at the same time as pumping another out).

That makes a lot more sense, I understand now. Thank you very much :h: PRSOM
Original post by Sherlock-4869
Do Veterinary Schools consider your application if you're a foreigner who just came to the UK and had to take GCSEs for one year?

I took mine last year and these are my GCSEs:
Science - B
Additional Science - A
Maths - A
English - B
BTEC Level 2 Travel and Tourism - D*

I saw in the uni websites that they want at least 5 GCSEs and I'm not sure if my BTEC counts because it's not related to Veterinary Medicine. So, I thought of taking Japanese GCSE since I know a bit. (Maybe I'll manage to get a C)

I'm now taking my A-Levels: Biology, Maths, Chemistry, and Level 3 CamTec ICT.

Thanks.

Does your English not count as two, language and literature? If not, then I can't see it being too much of an issue provided that your A-Levels are up to scratch. I'd phone up or email all of the places that you're considering applying to before you actually send of your UCAS form though, just to make sure. To be honest your situation is quite a unique one, so a response you receive from the people in charge of admissions will be much better than my rambling response :tongue: . I think there's a section on the form where you can put down special considerations/extenuating circumstances anyway (if not, a teacher could put a sentence or two about it in your reference), but I'd still recommend getting in touch with the universities yourself :smile:

As far as vet schools go, I might give Cambridge a miss but I think that others may be a bit more lenient. From the RVC's website:
"If an applicant does narrowly miss the GCSE requirements, they are not automatically rejected; a good score in the BMAT could compensate for this. However, these applicants will be competing against students who have fulfilled the entry requirements stipulated and so they will be at a disadvantage."
(edited 10 years ago)
Does your English not count as two, language and literature? If not, then I can't see it being too much of an issue provided that your A-Levels are up to scratch. I'd phone up or email all of the places that you're considering applying to before you actually send of your UCAS form though, just to make sure. To be honest your situation is quite a unique one, so a response you receive from the people in charge of admissions will be much better than my rambling response :tongue: . I think there's a section on the form where you can put down special considerations/extenuating circumstances anyway (if not, a teacher could put a sentence or two about it in your reference), but I'd still recommend getting in touch with the universities yourself :smile:

As far as vet schools go, I might give Cambridge a miss but I think that others may be a bit more lenient. From the RVC's website:
"If an applicant does narrowly miss the GCSE requirements, they are not automatically rejected; a good score in the BMAT could compensate for this. However, these applicants will be competing against students who have fulfilled the entry requirements stipulated and so they will be at a disadvantage."

The English is equivalent to only one GCSE. Anyway, thanks a lot! 😄 I'll take your advice on calling the uni before submitting my UCAS. The funny thing is that I turn 19 before September so I can't do my A2s in my school next year and I have to transfer to a college. 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys :smile: I'm new to this thread, and just wanted to say a quick hi :colondollar:
So if you hadn't guessed, I'm hoping to apply for vetmed 2015 (Edinburgh is my absolute DREAMMM!!) Problem is, My GCSE's really weren't up to scratch :s-smilie: I got 2A's, 4B's and 2C's (and a pass in BTEC pe) I'm finding it REALLY hard to get experience :frown: Im doing Bio, Chem, Eng Lit and Maths stats AS, and I'm doing alright in all of them except maths :/
stressing out majorly :frown: anyone got any advice? (sorry for the long post xx)
Original post by melancholyblues
Hey guys :smile: I'm new to this thread, and just wanted to say a quick hi :colondollar:
So if you hadn't guessed, I'm hoping to apply for vetmed 2015 (Edinburgh is my absolute DREAMMM!!) Problem is, My GCSE's really weren't up to scratch :s-smilie: I got 2A's, 4B's and 2C's (and a pass in BTEC pe) I'm finding it REALLY hard to get experience :frown: Im doing Bio, Chem, Eng Lit and Maths stats AS, and I'm doing alright in all of them except maths :/
stressing out majorly :frown: anyone got any advice? (sorry for the long post xx)

Hi! I asked Edinburgh about GCSEs too since I only have four GCSEs (Foreigner who came to the UK in 2012 and had to do GCSEs for a year before A-Levels) this is what they told me:
"Thanks for your email enquiry.
We really don’t look to GCSE grades unless the candidate isn’t studying Physics to A level. Therefore we would look at your GCSE and see that for Double Science you were awarded a BA therefore that would suffice.
As long as you are studying Chemistry and Biology to A level along with one other University approved subject then that will be fine. Maths is okay for your third A level also.

I have in the first instance included a link to our new BVM&S Undergraduate Admissions booklet which you may find useful prior to application.

Please also note that BTECs don’t form part of our entry requirements.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/studying/bvms-booklet"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest