The Student Room Group

Gcse method to achieve all a*'s,a's,b's

Hi guys

im a 15 year old student who is currently studying for his GCSE'S and i would like to know how you fellow people coped at achieving outstanding grades.I am predicted a maximum of 12 GCSE'S A*-C.

ONE MORE thing i would like advice on is achieving A*'S/A'S for all my GCSE controlled assesments/coursework in the following order

GCSE additional science (worth 25% of final mark)
GCSE citizenship full course (worth 60% of final mark)
GCSE geography (worth 25% of final mark)
GCSE spanish (worth 60% of final mark,broken down into four units equating to 15% each)
GCSE english (worth 40% of final mark,i've currently completed two pieces so far 15% each)

Advice/Responses highly appreciated :smile: .
Reply 1
Turn up
It's not that hard to get all A*s at GCSE as long as you do revision during the holidays, most people don't do any work for GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by x__justmyluck
It's not that hard to get all A*s at GCSE as long as you do revision during the holidays, most people don't do any work for GCSE.

I realize I wrote "Turn up" (as a joke though), but I just read on your profile that you study at Oxford University, so they might seem easy to you. It's all subjective. Some people study really hard for GCSE and get low grades.
Original post by nohomo
I realize I wrote "Turn up" (as a joke though), but I just read on your profile that you study at Oxford University, so they might seem easy to you. It's all subjective. Some people study really hard for GCSE and get low grades.

To be honest I worked hard for my GCSEs generally revising 4-6 hours a day most days during the holidays. Maybe I should've phrased my post differently, if you put the work in it is definitely doable.
Reply 5
i guess its 'just your luck' :wink:
What exam boards are you using for each subject? Depending if you have the same exam boards I can offer you some advice. I recently just did my additional science controlled assessment and obtained an a*. Got full marks on my citizenship controlled assessment which I did in year 9 when I was 13, but I think it was the short course... I got an a* for the 60% controlled assessment of English language. However it's not a breeze, as some people are making out. For instance I'm really struggling with maths. With this in mind though, I go to a state school , so it is possible to achieve good grades in some subjects if not the majority.

For now, you can make use of all your resources. If you have a tablet or an ereader or even a smart phone, search for some revision apps on Google play. If you want some suggestions of what ones ask me. Also, make use of the revision notes online, after making your own revision notes, take a break of a couple of days away from that subject and then use condensed revision notes from online and highlight them. Do the cover and repeat method, where you test your knowledge. Also make use of not only past papers but end of unit tests. Its also helpful to ask friends or family to quiz you. However the best method is trying to explain a particular topic or area of a topic to someone who has never studied the subject. If the person doesn't understand, then you need to revise more.

Reading takes in the least information.... Writing listening and watching takes in slightly more and teaching even more, however doing all of these techniques enables you to firmly put the information into your long term memory rather than your short term memory .

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the key things you can do is get rid of distractions during revision e.g. Social networking sites, games consoles ect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest