The Student Room Group

Do short men really have it bad?

Statistically, they are paid less than taller men to do the same job.

Taller men are more likely to be successful, the average height of Fortune's top 500 CEOs is 6'0

They are sometimes dubbed 'little Napoleons' and their efforts are seen as pathetic and are only to compensate for their height.

Short men are rarely cast as heroes or leading men, they are usually the sidekick.

They are often dismissed as undateable on account of their height - something that they have no control over

On that last point, women seem to refuse to admit that it happens, and that there are plenty of women who would date a short guy, but the reality is that most haven't and probably wouldn't...

However, maybe this is inaccurate, I'd love to hear some opinions and experiences relating to this...

EDIT
To clarify, I'm talking about people who are really short, not just slightly below average, for example, I have a friend who's literally like 4'6 due to endocrine problems, and people don't take him seriously and often stare at him.

And actually, I think men who are like 5'1-5'4 probably get it worse in away because it's more socially acceptable to tease someone who is just short, rather than someone who is actually classified as a little person (think that's the PC term now).
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by test_drive

Taller men are more likely to be successful, the average height of Fortune's top 500 CEOs is 6'0

This means that roughly HALF of the fortune 500 CEOs are below 6'0. 6'0 isn't considered terribly tall. 5'9 is the average and there are plenty of 5'9 CEOs.

They are sometimes dubbed 'little Napoleons' and their efforts are seen as pathetic and are only to compensate for their height.

Short men are rarely cast as heroes or leading men, they are usually the sidekick.

They are often dismissed as undateable on account of their height - something that they have no control over

On that last point, women seem to refuse to admit that it happens, and that there are plenty of women who would date a short guy, but the reality is that most haven't and probably wouldn't...

However, maybe this is inaccurate, I'd love to hear some opinions and experiences relating to this...

Yeah, you're right, short men can't get laid by having personality or being interesting.

Short and bald. Can't get laid my ass
Reply 2
No they don't and this question gets asked way too many times.

Maybe 'tall' is preference (and even then, it's subjective on what you'd categorise as 'tall'). But there are plenty of ways a guy can make up for his vertically challenged stature.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm 5'8 just turned 18. Is there hope for me yet? 5'11 or even 5'10 would be nice.
Reply 4
Original post by Transformational
Yeah, you're right, short men can't get laid by having personality or being interesting.

Erm...... Who's that? :dontknow:

OP: Nice, original question there :tongue: Honestly, I can't see a company giving that much of a **** if their CEO is short if they also happen to be bloody good at their job, and if any women/men were to care that much about height, then they're idiots! Quite the irrational response there from me, I know, but I hate anyone who could be so shallow :angry:
Original post by Ceryni

OP: Nice, original question there :tongue: Honestly, I can't see a company giving that much of a **** if their CEO is short if they also happen to be bloody good at their job, and if any women/men were to care that much about height, then they're idiots! Quite the irrational response there from me, I know, but I hate anyone who could be so shallow :angry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saCM3LMQTYk
Reply 6
Original post by Ceryni

I'd agree with you, but I'd like to think that's the case between men and women, but it's widely observed that sexism in employment exists, so I'm acknowledging that maybe that's the case for height as well.

Yeah, I guess it's been asked before, I don't come on here much, clearly...
Reply 7
5.9 and good looking >>> 6.2 and ugly.

This I assure you of, I am living proof of it. No woman likes ugly monkeys no matter how tall unless they themselves have mental issues.
Reply 8

It didn't stop Tom Cruise.
Reply 9
Original post by tollgate60
It didn't stop Tom Cruise.

Isn't he like 5'7? That's not really that short, since the global average is like 5'6 (admittedly the American average is probably more like 5'9)
Reply 10
Leo Messi> Crouch

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Transformational

2 inches above average is enough to be statistically significant...
Isn't he like 5'7? That's not really that short, since the global average is like 5'6 (admittedly the American average is probably more like 5'9)

It didn't stop Danny Devito.
Reply 13
Original post by tollgate60
It didn't stop Danny Devito.

:smile:
Danny+DeVito+Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Illumination+qEsgQMmots5l.jpg they make a great couple.
Reply 15
I know women don't generally want to date men who are shorter than them. But as long as you're 5'6" and up I think it's no big deal.
Reply 16
Original post by johnh1983
I know women don't generally want to date men who are shorter than them. But as long as you're 5'6" and up I think it's no big deal.

Yeah, but 5'6 isn't exactly short, it's just slightly below average... There are plenty of men who are less than 5'6. I have a friend who is 18, he's probably like 4'6, he always gets treated like a kid....doesn't really seem fair!

(Before someone points it out, yes I am aware that's classified as dwarfism'
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Sadly I think you're right, height is definitely a factor people consider when thinking of a man's success/ status, even if they do it unconsciously. The same can be said about how more value is placed on a woman's appearance when judging her success. It's unfair and unreasonable but it happens and most people are guilty of it. I make a conscious effort to try to stop myself from doing it though
If I thought height was as big a deal as TSR makes it sound, I'd have offed myself years ago.

brb hanging myself off a door handle
In general, yes.

Quick Reply