The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2077931&highlight=lse%25252Bentry%25252B2013&page=70&x=-547&y=-7883 the nerves got the better of me and I thought...hmm, if only I had hindsight on the LSE applicants thread, and *light bulb moment* (now don't judge me, we ALL need to get out a bit more if you're on TSR on a friday night) I looked at the 2013 applicant thread and, I quote from 19th December 2012:

"The offers are rolling in now"

So..brace yourselves for the coming week, LSE offers/rejections may well be on their way to a UCAS track system near you.

:eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Manamarak
LSE has sent me a decision.
It is in my inbox.
I know it is a final decision because I also have an email from UCAS saying something has changed on my application.
Today was the final day of my five week notice.

I don't think I want to open it.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

In the end, it was a rejection, but then, I sort of knew it would be, as my personal statement was geared towards Oxford for PPE, and thus had to contain a lot of politics, so that would probably have been frowned on by the LSE philosophy and economics tutor.

I am pretty gutted, though. I am a mature student, and I have worked incredibly hard to get in a position to apply. I do feel like the last year was wasted now, as Oxford was also a rejection.

The letter from the tutors made it clear that it was my personal statement that tripped me up, and I am pretty angry with myself, because lets be honest, that is the one part of your application that is entirely in your control.

I have an offer from Surrey and still a couple outstanding, but I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.

In the end, it was a rejection, but then, I sort of knew it would be, as my personal statement was geared towards Oxford for PPE, and thus had to contain a lot of politics, so that would probably have been frowned on by the LSE philosophy and economics tutor.

I am pretty gutted, though. I am a mature student, and I have worked incredibly hard to get in a position to apply. I do feel like the last year was wasted now, as Oxford was also a rejection.

The letter from the tutors made it clear that it was my personal statement that tripped me up, and I am pretty angry with myself, because lets be honest, that is the one part of your application that is entirely in your control.

I have an offer from Surrey and still a couple outstanding, but I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.

Hey! That's really unlucky :/ I had the opposite situation where I applied for IR at LSE and PPE at Oxford - but my statement was much more suited for IR. Oxford rejected me, so hopefully LSE will appreciate the statement which I practically wrote more for them than any other university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3063
I. Cant. Take. This. Anymore. :banghead::bricks::get::colondollar:
Reply 3064
Original post by hersheys10
I have applied to:
1) UCL
2) Edinburgh
3) Warwick
4) King's College London
5) LSE
I just got an email from LSE, they told me that my application is strong enough to be considered further and they'll give me a decision by early February. I know what'll happen after that, if they still like my application, I'll be invited to write the UGAA :/

Congratulations! What are you so sad about?
Anyway, are you thinking of SRCC and St Stephens as options or would you definitely want to go to abroad?
Original post by Vort
Congratulations! What are you so sad about?
Anyway, are you thinking of SRCC and St Stephens as options or would you definitely want to go to abroad?

Well, I don't think that I'll be able to write it because it's on 4th March, I can't go to the British Council in the middle of my board exams. SRCC and St Stephens, in general DU is my top priority. I only wanted to apply to LSE, so I'll only go if I get in there. What about you? Have you applied only in UK or elsewhere?
Reply 3066
Well, I don't think that I'll be able to write it because it's on 4th March, I can't go to the British Council in the middle of my board exams. SRCC and St Stephens, in general DU is my top priority. I only wanted to apply to LSE, so I'll only go if I get in there. What about you? Have you applied only in UK or elsewhere?

I have applied to Hong Kong, Singapore and UK. I am a science student with economics, so some of the colleges in DU will be hard. But, the boards are my top priority too.
Original post by Vort
I have applied to Hong Kong, Singapore and UK. I am a science student with economics, so some of the colleges in DU will be hard. But, the boards are my top priority too.

Oh wow! Even I have applied to the same places.

It seems that most of the Mature students here have received the same rejection letter - I'm not really sure what to make of it; feels more fobbing off than tailored criticism. I've emailed them asking if I could receive a more personal reply from one of the decision makers at some point as I may end up reapplying to University next year and would be curious to know which parts of my statement were weak and needed improvement, but they haven't replied (nor am I really expecting them too).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3069
Original post by jessology
It seems that most of the Mature students here have received the same rejection letter - I'm not really sure what to make of it; feels more fobbing off than tailored criticism. I've emailed them asking if I could receive a more personal reply from one of the decision makers at some point as I may end up reapplying to University next year and would be curious to know which parts of my statement were weak and needed improvement, but they haven't replied (nor am I really expecting them too).

I'm a mature student but received an offer for BSc Economics last Thursday. I don't think what you said is true, but what is key with mature personal statements is showing how you have kept up your interest and competency in the subject you are applying for while out of formal education. This appears to be something many mature applicants forget. Good luck with your reapplication.
Reply 3070
Original post by little_tom
Is this something new? I don't remember getting this e-mail when I was applying. Although that was around 3 years ago :colondollar:

Oh you would remember if you had gotten them... (these mails are torture) :tongue:
Reply 3071

I am so sorry to hear that :frown: Oxford and LSE are both way too competitive so don't be hard on yourself. At least you already got an offer from Surrey :smile: And hoestly, if you are passionate about your subject, it doesn't matter where you studied in the end :wink:
Good luck with the rest of your application!
I have applied to:
1) UCL
2) Edinburgh
3) Warwick
4) King's College London
5) LSE
I just got an email from LSE, they told me that my application is strong enough to be considered further and they'll give me a decision by early February. I know what'll happen after that, if they still like my application, I'll be invited to write the UGAA :/

I applied to same unis, only instead of Warwick - St Andrews. Did you get any offers so far?
Reply 3073
A couple days ago I got the 4 week email so I hope it will be good news. Has anyone heard back about their decision after receiving the strongest in the cycle email?
Original post by Blackfyre
I applied to same unis, only instead of Warwick - St Andrews. Did you get any offers so far?

Nothing concrete as yet :frown: UCL had asked for further information that is, predicted grades and all. Edinburgh has asked the reference letter to be on an official letterhead. LSE, you know. I haven't got anything from Warwick and King's. What about you?
Original post by ida3388
A couple days ago I got the 4 week email so I hope it will be good news. Has anyone heard back about their decision after receiving the strongest in the cycle email?

No and my 4 weeks ended yesterday 😔
Reply 3076
Applying economics and get four weeks mail
Original post by jessology
Ah is it super, super hard? Probably better I get rejected now than fail dismally later on! :tongue:

The essay was SIMPLE. Especially compared with the Cambridge essay.

I failed the maths section. Yes they force you to do a maths test even for social sciences/arts courses!
Original post by Perks25
May I ask where you finally ended up going to school? An which Access course were you on? Fellow mature student here.

I went to Warwick. But I left as the work was too easy. So applying for LSE and Cambridge.

I did a social sciences access course.
Original post by thinkthings
Does anyone know when universities (or LSE specifically) receive most of their applications? Do you all think LSE has received most of its applications by now or do you reckon loads more applications will come in this next month?

I would imagine most colleges aim to deliver applications before Christmas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending