The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3580
Original post by Mrs R
Nope, but I'm YSJ Lower Primary on Wednesday! And starting to feel really nervous about the amount of stuff we need to prep - not a lot of time!

You and me both! There's so much to go through and only so much I can fit in between now and Monday afternoon. Good luck for Wednesday, hope it goes well for you! Have you got the skills tests done?
Reply 3581
Original post by gemjones
For anyone who has had an interview for secondary pgce, what educational issues did you talk about? I've been given an interview with 5 days notice!!!!

The most important thing to remember id you don't need to memorise anything - they're not looking for a journalist. What they want to see is an awareness of the issues in education and of both sides of the argument. For me, I chose academies and students without English as a first language.
Reply 3582
Original post by tory88
The most important thing to remember id you don't need to memorise anything - they're not looking for a journalist. What they want to see is an awareness of the issues in education and of both sides of the argument. For me, I chose academies and students without English as a first language.

Ok thank you! I've had a look but I'm still struggling! Did you just research on the internet?
Reply 3583
Original post by Denu
You and me both! There's so much to go through and only so much I can fit in between now and Monday afternoon. Good luck for Wednesday, hope it goes well for you! Have you got the skills tests done?

Nope, not yet. I'd hoped to do them between applying and getting an interview but I only applied last Friday, then heard on the Monday or Tuesday, so have been too busy. I went to the open day though and she said it wouldn't affect whether you got an offer if you were a strong candidate in other ways, it would just make it conditional. What about you?
Reply 3584
Original post by gemjones
Ok thank you! I've had a look but I'm still struggling! Did you just research on the internet?

Yeah. The guardian is pretty good for articles about education. Read through a couple and consider both sides of the argument, then reach your conclusion.
Passed my numeracy skills test this morning :biggrin: hoping for interviews next week now!
Reply 3586
Original post by tory88
You definitely need experience, there's no question of that. You can't really understand what teaching entails without having been on that side of the desk. So unless you get experience between now and apply 2, I'm afraid it probably isn't worth it. In which case, getting a TA job would set you up very nicely for reapplying next year.

Original post by Shelly_x
Did you put that you had experience lined up or were going to get some?
Spend this year getting experience, and a lot of it, and then your application will be very strong next year. Here are some jobs to look in to: TA, cover superviser, para teacher, learning manager.

Hadn't mentioned in last post but yes, I have a ten week placement starting January and stated that with my expectations etc, and also was strong relating other experience back to teaching. I understood when applying that it was a heavy desire to have it for the interviews but so many people told me just to have a go at it this year, hence the application. Thanks for the suggestions Shelly.
Reply 3587
Original post by Mrs R
Nope, not yet. I'd hoped to do them between applying and getting an interview but I only applied last Friday, then heard on the Monday or Tuesday, so have been too busy. I went to the open day though and she said it wouldn't affect whether you got an offer if you were a strong candidate in other ways, it would just make it conditional. What about you?

I took them both on Thursday and passed, so really hoping that goes in my favour. I was kinda hoping to get a 'practise' interview somewhere before YSJ as it's my first choice and I'm a little nervous - it's been 13 years since I last interviewed for a uni place and while I've been for various job interviews in that time, this is a bit more crucial!

Was it good on the open day? I would have loved to come along but it's so far and I used all my holiday doing placements :-( I love York though, and have heard good things about YSJ and the course.
Reply 3588
Hi, new to the thread. One of my choices is the Bishop Rawstone schools direct route. It's my first choice and it's the only one I haven't heard back from. It's probably a long shot, but anyone else applied there and heard anything yet? This process really does bring out your impatient side!!
Reply 3589
Original post by awe
Hadn't mentioned in last post but yes, I have a ten week placement starting January and stated that with my expectations etc, and also was strong relating other experience back to teaching. I understood when applying that it was a heavy desire to have it for the interviews but so many people told me just to have a go at it this year, hence the application. Thanks for the suggestions Shelly.

I think for a lot of universities, they really need you to be able to talk about your experience at interview, so that may be the reason for the rejection. I would say give apply 2 a go after you have a few weeks under your belt, but keep looking for TA/cover supervisor etc. jobs for if it all falls through.
Original post by bbbbbecki
Me too, I'm so so so nervous! Have you been preparing? I can't seem to get my head round the article they sent us....

I have read through the article a few times and am going to make some notes on it today! Have you prepared for the other parts of the day? Are you applying for lower primary?
Reply 3591
Original post by Denu
I took them both on Thursday and passed, so really hoping that goes in my favour. I was kinda hoping to get a 'practise' interview somewhere before YSJ as it's my first choice and I'm a little nervous - it's been 13 years since I last interviewed for a uni place and while I've been for various job interviews in that time, this is a bit more crucial!

Was it good on the open day? I would have loved to come along but it's so far and I used all my holiday doing placements :-( I love York though, and have heard good things about YSJ and the course.

Ah that will definitely be in your favour, well done! I had really hoped to get mine done but such is life! And yeah it's a good few years since I did uni interviews too - like you say, job interviews are rather different - and I certainly never had to reflect on an academic paper at those! Definitely the bit I'm most worried about!

The open day was really good, though probably didn't give that much new information. I was able to go the one on a Saturday because I only live about 10 mins from the Uni! Another good reason it's my first choice :P How prepared are you feeling? I have monday off, so am hoping to do lots more prep then since mine isn't until Wednesday.
Original post by Sara Jayne
I have read through the article a few times and am going to make some notes on it today! Have you prepared for the other parts of the day? Are you applying for lower primary?

Yes me too, I think I'm going to make a list of advantages and disadvantages of the use of masters credits in PGCE and maybe research some of the citations in the article. Yes I am applying for lower primary, are you? I *think* I've prepared for the other parts of the day, have you? We don't have any tests on the day do we?
Original post by bbbbbecki
Yes me too, I think I'm going to make a list of advantages and disadvantages of the use of masters credits in PGCE and maybe research some of the citations in the article. Yes I am applying for lower primary, are you? I *think* I've prepared for the other parts of the day, have you? We don't have any tests on the day do we?

That's the angle I have taken on the article too! Yes I am applying for lower primary too! Are you in the morning interviews? I don't think we have to do any other tests. Have you done your skills tests yet?
Congratulations on your offer!! Do you have any advice for the interview? I have one coming up in January for Primary at Man Met.
Original post by Brooksy1704
Received an offer last night from man met for primary!
Its unconditional because I've already completed my degree and passed both skills tests!! Woooo.
so happy anyone else going??
ps I also have an interview for manchester on the 10th of jan but mmu is my first choice so can I cancel? It won't let me reply to mmu is this because I have an interview pending at manchester?

Congratulations on your offer!! Do you have any advice for the interview? I have one coming up in January for Primary at Man Met
Reply 3596
Original post by Mrs R
Ah that will definitely be in your favour, well done! I had really hoped to get mine done but such is life! And yeah it's a good few years since I did uni interviews too - like you say, job interviews are rather different - and I certainly never had to reflect on an academic paper at those! Definitely the bit I'm most worried about!

The open day was really good, though probably didn't give that much new information. I was able to go the one on a Saturday because I only live about 10 mins from the Uni! Another good reason it's my first choice :P How prepared are you feeling? I have monday off, so am hoping to do lots more prep then since mine isn't until Wednesday.

Less prepared than I would like to be! I have a 4/5 hour train journey up tomorrow though, so will have plenty of time to sit and read through materials and think of answers to likely questions :smile:

This afternoon is prep time for the teaching task (still not sure if I've chosen the right thing for that, guess I'll find out on Monday...eep!), and then some more reading around the academic paper. Do you mind me asking what you currently do? I'm oddly a bit nervous about going back to university and that it'll be full of new and nearly-grads and I'll just feel old and out of place (felt a bit like that at the post-grad evening in Winchester where they were recommending talking to your tutor for references!)... :confused:
Original post by Denu
Still not heard a peep from Reading for Primary - anyone heard anything from them at all?

Also, do Winchester email interview invites or send letter in the post? I have a notification of invite to interview on Track but haven't actually had the invite yet...

And finally, anyone at YSJ for interview on Monday 16th in the afternoon? :-)

Winchester sent mine through email.

I had an interview with Reading earlier in the month, just waiting to hear back now! Got very excited today to see i had an email from the Reading admissions team, but it was just to say Merry Christmas! Bah humbug!
Original post by Sara Jayne
That's the angle I have taken on the article too! Yes I am applying for lower primary too! Are you in the morning interviews? I don't think we have to do any other tests. Have you done your skills tests yet?

Yes I am :smile: I will look out for you!
I've passed my Literacy test, my Numeracy is booked for early next year as I definitely need time to revise for it! Have you? Just thinking about the whole process makes me so nervous!
Reply 3599
Original post by Denu
Less prepared than I would like to be! I have a 4/5 hour train journey up tomorrow though, so will have plenty of time to sit and read through materials and think of answers to likely questions :smile:

This afternoon is prep time for the teaching task (still not sure if I've chosen the right thing for that, guess I'll find out on Monday...eep!), and then some more reading around the academic paper. Do you mind me asking what you currently do? I'm oddly a bit nervous about going back to university and that it'll be full of new and nearly-grads and I'll just feel old and out of place (felt a bit like that at the post-grad evening in Winchester where they were recommending talking to your tutor for references!)... :confused:

Ah yes, train time is great for getting work done - I used to have to travel a lot with work and loved my 5 hour train times! I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you've picked for the teaching task, I reckon we'll be judged about 90% on how we do it, and only 10% on what we do.
I don't mind at all - I used to work for IBM, supporting a large international project (thus the travel) but left that in October. Since then I have been mainly volunteering in schools since I had no recent experience, and doing some evening nannying to earn some pennies - though thankfully my husband has a fairly decent job. What about you?
I am really not feeling prepared yet - the teaching task doesn't worry me too much (I did a Drama degree with quite a large performance focus, so standing in front of large groups isn't a problem) - my concern is the critical analysis of the paper - I haven't had to do anything that academic in a while!

Latest

Trending

Trending