The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hersheys10
Nothing concrete as yet :frown: UCL had asked for further information that is, predicted grades and all. Edinburgh has asked the reference letter to be on an official letterhead. LSE, you know. I haven't got anything from Warwick and King's. What about you?

Nothing from UCL and KCL other than acknowledgement letters, 7 weeks mail from LSE, offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews. Is LSE your first choice?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I think the 'X' weeks emails from LSE are basically just saying that you haven't been rejected so don't lose hope! Ignore the number as I got an offer 2 weeks into my 7 weeks email where as there are people 8 weeks into the 5 week email. Good luck!
Reply 3082
Hello everyone. I'm new to TSR! I have applied to LSE for the BSc accounting and finance. I received the "12 week confirmation email". 4 days later, I received an email saying that my application is strong enough to be assessed further by the admission selector (7 weeks). I have read that people have received a 2 week and 5 week email but no one seems to have a 7 week email. Should I be worried?
Original post by Blackfyre
Nothing from UCL and KCL other than acknowledgement letters, 7 weeks mail from LSE, offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews. Is LSE your first choice?

Wow! Congratulations on your offers :smile: :smile: Actually, I am an international student, so the tuition fee and the cost of living in United Kingdom is very high. I'll only go if I get into LSE, that's my dream school.
Reply 3084
Original post by Rock_99
Hello everyone. I'm new to TSR! I have applied to LSE for the BSc accounting and finance. I received the "12 week confirmation email". 4 days later, I received an email saying that my application is strong enough to be assessed further by the admission selector (7 weeks). I have read that people have received a 2 week and 5 week email but no one seems to have a 7 week email. Should I be worried?

You should not worry! Those who applied earlier got two emails, one 2 week (that no later than after 2 weeks they will hear what is going on) and one 5 week (probably same as your 7 week,that the decision will be made in 5 weeks). Yet it seems that it takes them longer (mine 5 week email came some 7 and a half weeks ago and I've heard nothing from them since that time), so for those who applied recently they estimated the time needed to make a decision for 7 weeks.

Now there are 3 options: you will receive an offer; you will receive a rejection; or you will get another email (4 weeks, that you are one of the strongest applicants, etc.).

Good luck!
Wow! Congratulations on your offers :smile: :smile: Actually, I am an international student, so the tuition fee and the cost of living in United Kingdom is very high. I'll only go if I get into LSE, that's my dream school.

Yeah, I am an international student too. The tuition fees are horrible for us but the legend says that British/American education is the key to a bright future. Why did you apply to other unis if you'll accept only LSE? (I believe there's a small chance that you'll still go to other offers then).
Original post by Blackfyre
Yeah, I am an international student too. The tuition fees are horrible for us but the legend says that British/American education is the key to a bright future. Why did you apply to other unis if you'll accept only LSE? (I believe there's a small chance that you'll still go to other offers then).

Oh yes, that's certainly true. I still had four options left, I wanted to apply to Oxford, but the British Council in my city did not register me :frown: I think that I would like to go to UCL or Edinburgh, if I get an offer from there, then I might think, you know weigh the pros and cons, but for LSE, I'll be sure. By the way, where are you from?
Reply 3087
Original post by bshrestha
Could you tell me what your gcses/AS/predictions were like.

GCSE: 8A* 2A + an A in Additional Maths

AS:
Maths - A
Chemistry: A
Economics: A
English Literature: A

A2 Predictions:
Maths - A* (achieved)
Further maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Economics - A*
Reply 3088
Original post by Amu-ka
You should not worry! Those who applied earlier got two emails, one 2 week (that no later than after 2 weeks they will hear what is going on) and one 5 week (probably same as your 7 week,that the decision will be made in 5 weeks). Yet it seems that it takes them longer (mine 5 week email came some 7 and a half weeks ago and I've heard nothing from them since that time), so for those who applied recently they estimated the time needed to make a decision for 7 weeks.

Now there are 3 options: you will receive an offer; you will receive a rejection; or you will get another email (4 weeks, that you are one of the strongest applicants, etc.).

Good luck!

Reply 3089
Original post by deatheater4134
Did anyone at all get the 4 weeks email after their 5 week email? I got a 2 week email, then a five week email, and last week I got a 4 weeks email as well as a mate, saying 'we are still considering your application... strongest in the cohort... blah blah blah... we will be back in touch within 4 weeks....''

I received this message as well..
Reply 3090
Original post by gracelich
So sorry to hear about your rejection :'( I'm sure your offer from UCL is making you feel better though :wink:. An offer from either would mean the world to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah your very kind :smile: I think UCL has softened the blow a bit yea, but I was hoping LSE would be a nice insurance choice at AAB! I wish you the best of luck in getting LSE or UCL, I'll most likely drop off this thread now haha but I might see you in the UCL one! :biggrin:
Original post by dente
I'm a mature student but received an offer for BSc Economics last Thursday. I don't think what you said is true, but what is key with mature personal statements is showing how you have kept up your interest and competency in the subject you are applying for while out of formal education. This appears to be something many mature applicants forget. Good luck with your reapplication.

Are you doing an Access course though? I've heard murmurings that some top Universities can see the Access to HE diploma as a 'soft choice' due to it only spanning a year. Not sure how founded that is though. Well done on your place though - very impressive!

Not sure if I am reapplying yet, still waiting to hear from all my other choices yet! But thanks :smile:
Original post by Manamarak
Thanks everyone for your interest.

In the end, it was a rejection, but then, I sort of knew it would be, as my personal statement was geared towards Oxford for PPE, and thus had to contain a lot of politics, so that would probably have been frowned on by the LSE philosophy and economics tutor.

I am pretty gutted, though. I am a mature student, and I have worked incredibly hard to get in a position to apply. I do feel like the last year was wasted now, as Oxford was also a rejection.

The letter from the tutors made it clear that it was my personal statement that tripped me up, and I am pretty angry with myself, because lets be honest, that is the one part of your application that is entirely in your control.

I have an offer from Surrey and still a couple outstanding, but I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.

Hi,

Very sorry to hear of your rejection, I'm sure you will go on to have a fantastic time at a different uni! :biggrin:

I applied for this course also, did you get the 4 week strongest application email?
Reply 3093
Original post by jessology
It seems that most of the Mature students here have received the same rejection letter - I'm not really sure what to make of it; feels more fobbing off than tailored criticism. I've emailed them asking if I could receive a more personal reply from one of the decision makers at some point as I may end up reapplying to University next year and would be curious to know which parts of my statement were weak and needed improvement, but they haven't replied (nor am I really expecting them too).

I am also a mature student applying to LSE for Law and am on my 8th week since my 5 week e-mail. I don't think uni's are prejudiced towards Access courses, but I do think they they hold some Access course in higher esteem than others. My Access course, for instance, has a really good reputation for Law and many students from it have gone on to UCL, Oxbridge, and the like. Anyhow, I hope you won't give up! If you really want it, you will find a way. Maybe taking an A level next year? Also, have you looked into the the BaSc program at UCL? They have a route geared towards Anthropology that you might fine really cool!
Reply 3094
Original post by dente
I'm a mature student but received an offer for BSc Economics last Thursday. I don't think what you said is true, but what is key with mature personal statements is showing how you have kept up your interest and competency in the subject you are applying for while out of formal education. This appears to be something many mature applicants forget. Good luck with your reapplication.

Mature student here too. May I ask what sort of route you pursued to re-engage with higher education? Access, A levels, or something else?
Oh yes, that's certainly true. I still had four options left, I wanted to apply to Oxford, but the British Council in my city did not register me :frown: I think that I would like to go to UCL or Edinburgh, if I get an offer from there, then I might think, you know weigh the pros and cons, but for LSE, I'll be sure. By the way, where are you from?

Republic of Moldova, what about you?
Original post by Perks25
I am also a mature student applying to LSE for Law and am on my 8th week since my 5 week e-mail. I don't think uni's are prejudiced towards Access courses, but I do think they they hold some Access course in higher esteem than others. My Access course, for instance, has a really good reputation for Law and many students from it have gone on to UCL, Oxbridge, and the like. Anyhow, I hope you won't give up! If you really want it, you will find a way. Maybe taking an A level next year? Also, have you looked into the the BaSc program at UCL? They have a route geared towards Anthropology that you might fine really cool!

I just go to my local small-town college which is okay (I love my tutors, but the college itself has not built much of a reputation) and I have no idea how my Access Course looks to an admissions tutor. I'd love to take an A level (especially one in Biology!) but my local campus doesn't do any sort of A level scheme at the moment - 90% of the building is dedicated to vocational courses and NVQs.

Haha not giving up yet :smile: still waiting to hear back from UCL, although getting a little scared that they haven't contacted me yet! Hoping that's the norm for most people though... :colondollar: can't believe LSE have made you wait for so long!
Reply 3097
Original post by President M.E.
Hi,

Very sorry to hear of your rejection, I'm sure you will go on to have a fantastic time at a different uni! :biggrin:

I applied for this course also, did you get the 4 week strongest application email?

Everyone is sooooo freaked out of that mail now D:
Reply 3098
I am 9 weeks into my 5 weeks email. NINE. WEEKS. Thanks LSE (Y)
Original post by solaars
Everyone is sooooo freaked out of that mail now D:

I know, I thought it was pretty much giving an offer, now I think it's a stall from LSE to give them more time :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending