Jason and the Argonauts remake anyone?
Reply 9041

Only movie I watch on Christmas is Rashomon. :flute:

Original post by danny111

:O must watch

Casey Affleck is a great actor, very underrated imo along with Sam Rockwell

That looks like it could end up being good. A lot of big names. :holmes:

He just gets into every role so well. Moon he plays this guy who is up in Space and it affects him psychologically and he is brilliant in it. In The Way Way Back he plays this typical slacker/loser but nice guy and befriends a young boy - again he really makes you believe in his character.

He's also quite good in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Which is a pretty enjoyable film in itself.

Original post by andyt8765
Just came back from watching The Hobbit; surprisingly good, maybe on par with Return of The King

9/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a pretty big assertion. I didn't like the first one at all so I'm interested by this second one getting fairly good reviews. :holmes:

Original post by Dr Pesto
Jason and the Argonauts remake anyone?

That... doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. :erm: Is someone attempting it?
i watched love actually and really liked it...are there any similar films?
Original post by Precious Illusions
Wow really? Was so disappointed with the first I was just going to give this one a miss, might have to check it out.

Yeah it was much better than the first, can't wait for the third now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by muf_mur
i watched love actually and really liked it...are there any similar films?

I'd suggest Notting Hill, Bridget Jones's Diary and Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Reply 9045
Reckon it's been a strong year for films! Or is it just me?

Current top ten of the year for me is:
Before Midnight
Blue is the Warmest Colour
Blue Jasmine
Captain Phillips
Enough Said
Only God Forgives
Philomena
Side Effects
Stoker
Zero Dark Thirty

That's with stuff like Behind the Candelabra and Gravity missing out.

And I'm still to see or catch up on:
The Act of Killing
All is Lost
A Field in England
The Great Beauty
I Wish
Like Father, Like Son
Nebraska
The Place Beyond the Pines

They seem to be the most likely to bump others out of my top ten... I have seen a lot more this year than I have in any other so maybe there's something in that to how I rate the year. Quality just seems to be a lot better than I usually think towards the end of the year :beard:
Ive only heard negative things about the hobbit, but then i've only spoken to people who could recite the book from memory.

I'm sure it'll be alright, on par with the first one. Doubt it'll be near RotK levels though.
Desolation of Smaug was very enjoyable. A lot more interesting stuff happens in this installment. A few bits I'm iffy about, but on the whole I found it a lot better than Unexpected Journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr.Messy
Desolation of Smaug was very enjoyable. A lot more interesting stuff happens in this installment. A few bits I'm iffy about, but on the whole I found it a lot better than Unexpected Journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But is it as long and drawn out and boring as the first?
But is it as long and drawn out and boring as the first?

It's long, both in story and time - you'll spend up to 3 hours sitting watching the film + pre-film trailers, and story-wise its also slow at parts but it's not that boring at all. Not compared to the first anyway.

Didn't feel drawn out either like the first, where it took 45 odd minutes for Bilbo to leave the Shire. There are also no singing bits or Dwarves throwing plates around, which were parts I didn't really like in the first.

And loads of extra stuff happen in this one, besides journeying. Without spoiling it, Gandalf does very interesting things back at Dol Guldur (the abandoned fortress in Unexpected Journey which you may remember) and Legolas' bowskills are as good as in LotR in the action scenes he is in. Plus they've actually nailed Smaug in terms of visuals and voice too.

It's drawn criticism from fans, and I have a couple of issues with it too but I found this much better than the first.
Just watching at any price, it's pretty bad. It says in the description:

"A farming family's business is threatened by an unexpected crisis, further testing the relationship between a father and his rebellious son."

I'm one hour in, not really seen a crisis as of yet that is unexpected. It's kinda shaping up to come but yea. 60 minutes of "I'm a bad father" and "I'm a punk kid". Lol.
Original post by Mr.Messy
It's long, both in story and time - you'll spend up to 3 hours sitting watching the film + pre-film trailers, and story-wise its also slow at parts but it's not that boring at all. Not compared to the first anyway.

Didn't feel drawn out either like the first, where it took 45 odd minutes for Bilbo to leave the Shire. There are also no singing bits or Dwarves throwing plates around, which were parts I didn't really like in the first.

And loads of extra stuff happen in this one, besides journeying. Without spoiling it, Gandalf does very interesting things back at Dol Guldur (the abandoned fortress in Unexpected Journey which you may remember) and Legolas' bowskills are as good as in LotR in the action scenes he is in. Plus they've actually nailed Smaug in terms of visuals and voice too.

It's drawn criticism from fans, and I have a couple of issues with it too but I found this much better than the first.

Might actually watch it then, thanks for the recap man!
Original post by Abiraleft

That... doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. :erm: Is someone attempting it?

No one is attempting it, I just watched it again the other day and thought it would be interesting to see it with modern CGI (although obviously I love Harryhausen's work). But thinking about it, I'm sure Hollywood wouldn't be able to resist going way overboard with the special effects and just making it a big stupid action film like they did with the Clash of the Titans remake (although actually the original isn't exactly a great film either.)
Oh man I would love a Jason and the Argonauts remake but only if they did it correctly other wise it will just be mega lame :sad:
Reply 9054
Was presently surprised by Frozen, my review: http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/frozen-2013/

Seeing The Hobbit tonight, pretty neutral about it to be honest. Hoping for good things.
Reply 9055

Reply 9056
Saw The Desolation Of Smaug last night, have mega mixed feelings about it.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-2013/
Reply 9057
Hey all! Just wanted to pop in a question: What are your favourite period/historical films and dramas? I'm in the mood to watch a few, so please start listing! :smile:
Reply 9058
Original post by zahra_d
Hey all! Just wanted to pop in a question: What are your favourite period/historical films and dramas? I'm in the mood to watch a few, so please start listing! :smile:

Any specific time period?
Reply 9059
Original post by Prandtl
Any specific time period?

Anywhere between 1600's to mid 1900's will do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest