The Student Room Group

Psychology revision help!!!

Poll

What helps you the most when revising for psychology?

I have a mock test on Monday for memory, attachment and research methods. I have spend the whole day procrastinating and I haven't even started yet. Right now I'm finishing all of my homework so I can spend my whole Sunday revising. This is the first huge test I have had this year and I have no idea how to start. I have a lot of content to cover and loads or past papers.

Can anyone help me out...

How should I revise tomorrow, any tips, ways to remember studies ( there are over 50 to know)

Any help will me appreciated, Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
go over the stuff you aren't so confident on first by reading your notes or doing practice questions on them. concentrate on practicing the longer 12 mark questions and the 8 mark questions as they are the hardest and you can get the most for them.
i did all those topics so pm me if you need any help
I'm guessing you're on the OCR exam board? I'm in Year 13 so I do A2 Psychology with OCR... It's terrible! There's way tooooo much to it lol. Which year are you in and what exam board are you with? :smile: -So I can help out more.
Reply 3
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I'm guessing you're on the OCR exam board? I'm in Year 13 so I do A2 Psychology with OCR... It's terrible! There's way tooooo much to it lol. Which year are you in and what exam board are you with? :smile: -So I can help out more.

I'm doing AQA ''A'' psychology, do you have any tips on how to learn all the studies. It's really time consuming ? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by tgwktm
go over the stuff you aren't so confident on first by reading your notes or doing practice questions on them. concentrate on practicing the longer 12 mark questions and the 8 mark questions as they are the hardest and you can get the most for them.
i did all those topics so pm me if you need any help

Thanks for the reply, very helpful!!!

I don't really understand the things in the working memory model ( episodic buffer etc) The textbook is really confusing
Reply 5
Original post by tweety97
Thanks for the reply, very helpful!!!

I don't really understand the things in the working memory model ( episodic buffer etc) The textbook is really confusing

The textbook is rubbish, but i have some notes if you want that might help. they are on another revision website though, i'll post a link and if you can't read them then you might need to sign up to it. https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-notes/working_memory_model and the evaluation https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-notes/evaulation_of_the_working_memory_model
the website is free to sign up to if you can't see them.
i never made any notes about the episodic buffer in my lessons so thats why it isn't on those notes, but i remember one of the questions in my mock was on the wmm and i got full marks by not including it so it so shouldn't be a problem
Reply 6
Original post by tgwktm
The textbook is rubbish, but i have some notes if you want that might help. they are on another revision website though, i'll post a link and if you can't read them then you might need to sign up to it. https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-notes/working_memory_model and the evaluation https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-notes/evaulation_of_the_working_memory_model
the website is free to sign up to if you can't see them.
i never made any notes about the episodic buffer in my lessons so thats why it isn't on those notes, but i remember one of the questions in my mock was on the wmm and i got full marks by not including it so it so shouldn't be a problem

I went on the site but it's not letting me view it all unless I have a premium account- which I don't. :/ What do you suggest I do?

Your comments are brilliant btw :smile:
Reply 7
I went on the site but it's not letting me view it all unless I have a premium account- which I don't. :/ What do you suggest I do?

Your comments are brilliant btw :smile:

i don't see why you would need a premium account. go to https://getrevising.co.uk/ and make an account, log in and try the links again. if that doesn't work then i will try and find another way to get them to you.
Reply 8
Original post by tgwktm
i don't see why you would need a premium account. go to https://getrevising.co.uk/ and make an account, log in and try the links again. if that doesn't work then i will try and find another way to get them to you.

I have logged in but it still says that I need a premium account to access them. It's ok I don't want to trouble you. You probably have a lot of things to do.

Thanks for your help tho :smile::smile::smile:
I'm doing AQA ''A'' psychology, do you have any tips on how to learn all the studies. It's really time consuming ? Thanks

Oh AQA... well erm. I would just say that revision card are very very useful. Just use a revision card for each study and note down the important aspects of it such as aim, methodology, participants etc and add some psychological and ethical evaluation points, if I were you, try to stay away from reading the text book over and over again, re reading the information won't necessarily help you remember it. Do something that will test your skills such as doing past papers relevant to the study. Please try using revision cards and let me know how it goes. :smile:
Reply 10
Use psych seed! I have all the packs and they are excellent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I have logged in but it still says that I need a premium account to access them. It's ok I don't want to trouble you. You probably have a lot of things to do.

Thanks for your help tho :smile::smile::smile:

tell me what your username is and i can pm you on there.
Reply 12
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Oh AQA... well erm. I would just say that revision card are very very useful. Just use a revision card for each study and note down the important aspects of it such as aim, methodology, participants etc and add some psychological and ethical evaluation points, if I were you, try to stay away from reading the text book over and over again, re reading the information won't necessarily help you remember it. Do something that will test your skills such as doing past papers relevant to the study. Please try using revision cards and let me know how it goes. :smile:

That's great advice. In class my teacher made us write down the methodology , aim, finding etc for each study so I think that will be helpful. I have also printed out some revision flash cards and mind maps from the student room tools and I have made some of my own.

I'm going to spend the rest of my day revising for the test and tomorrow evening I'll let you know how the test was.

I have made a study timetable to organise my time. How many hours do you recommend I do each day/week- I'm aiming for an A in all my subjects. Which are: ICT, Business, English literature and Psychology.

What level of education are you at now, Im doing my AS.

Loool I have written a newspaper article as a reply sorry about that but I only made a student room account yesterday and I want to get a lot of help because some of my friends are always busy so I don't get as much help.

Thank you !!!!!

:five: ... revising for this test is sooooo stressful

If you haven't realised yet I procrastinate an awful lot- I should be studying now :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by tgwktm
tell me what your username is and i can pm you on there.

Could you copy and paste the info and pm me on here because I don't know how to use that site
Reply 14
Could you copy and paste the info and pm me on here because I don't know how to use that site

yeah okay here is the description of the wmm:
central executive

controls the slave systems (phonological loop and visio spatial sketchpad)

directs attentions

perfroms reasoning tasks

phonological loop

processes auditory information

2 subsystems:

-articulatory loop- performs maintenancie rehearsal
-phonological store- short term store of auditory information
visual spatial sketchpad

processes visual information

2 subsystems

-inner scribe- processes the information
-visual cache- short term store
information can be moved between 2 slave systems and the central executive
tasks that occupy the same system can't be done at the same time but if they occupy different systems they can be done at the same time
Reply 15
Original post by Hurairaa
Use psych seed! I have all the packs and they are excellent

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have never heard of that, what is it?
Reply 16
Original post by tgwktm
<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial"><b>central executive</b></span></font>
<ul><li style="">controls the slave systems (phonological loop and visio spatial sketchpad)</li>
<li style="">directs attentions</li>
<li style="">perfroms reasoning tasks</li>
</ul><font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial"><b>phonological loop</b></span></font>
<ul><li style="">processes auditory information</li>
<li style="">2 subsystems:</li>
</ul><font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial">-articulatory loop- performs maintenancie rehearsal</span></font>
<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial">-phonological store- short term store of auditory information</span></font>
<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial"><b>visual spatial sketchpad</b></span></font>
<ul><li style="">processes visual information</li>
<li style="">2 subsystems</li>
</ul><font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial">-inner scribe- processes the information</span></font>
<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial">-visual cache- short term store</span></font>
<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial">information can be moved between 2 slave systems and the central executive</span></font>
<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Arial">tasks that occupy the same system can't be done at the same time but if they occupy different systems they can be done at the same time</span></font>

thats great thank you
Reply 17
Original post by tgwktm
central executive

directs attentions

perfroms reasoning tasks

phonological loop

2 subsystems:

visual spatial sketchpad

2 subsystems

tasks that occupy the same system can't be done at the same time but if they occupy different systems they can be done at the same time

there were two documents what about the second one?
Reply 18
Original post by tgwktm
central executive

directs attentions

perfroms reasoning tasks

phonological loop

2 subsystems:

visual spatial sketchpad

2 subsystems

Can you also send me the evaluation, if you dont mind
That's great advice. In class my teacher made us write down the methodology , aim, finding etc for each study so I think that will be helpful. I have also printed out some revision flash cards and mind maps from the student room tools and I have made some of my own.

I'm going to spend the rest of my day revising for the test and tomorrow evening I'll let you know how the test was.

I have made a study timetable to organise my time. How many hours do you recommend I do each day/week- I'm aiming for an A in all my subjects. Which are: ICT, Business, English literature and Psychology.

What level of education are you at now, Im doing my AS.

Loool I have written a newspaper article as a reply sorry about that but I only made a student room account yesterday and I want to get a lot of help because some of my friends are always busy so I don't get as much help.

Thank you !!!!!

:five: ... revising for this test is sooooo stressful

If you haven't realised yet I procrastinate an awful lot- I should be studying now :frown:

You're not alone when it comes to procrastinating lol! I should be doing my 2 English Literature essays right now haha. :smile:

Well, I'm currently in year 13 studying Psychology (OCR), Media Studies and English Literature :biggrin: So we have similar subject tastes!

I'm glad you found my advice useful, revision cards really helped me during my AS year and they sure are helping me during A2. This might sound crazy and you'll probably be like "Look lady, I actually have a social life?" But you should be spending around 1 and a half to 2 hours per subject per day, honestly, that is what A-levels have become. You should also spend the most time on the subject you find the most challenging. On Psychology alone, I have to spend around 2 hours a day because there is soooo much to learn, English Literature and Media I also have to spend tons of time on because they are both 'further reading and research' based subjects that require A LOT of essay writing between them. But you obviously have to give your self a break because revising endlessly will not help either! For example on Friday after school I did about 6 hours of homework/ revision for all of my subjects (obviously with breaks in between) and on Saturday, I did not do a thing! Just watched TV and ate food lol. So you've got to know how to balance your time properly.
You don't always need friends to revise, sometimes revising on your own can be so useful too.

Well I don't want to distract you from your work, 're-quote' me again tomorrow or send me a message to let me know how your text went. I hope you do well honey! :biggrin: You certainly seem hard working! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending