The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

They haven't sent rejections to the wrong people, the stats aren't much worse than they were last year. The ukcat really ****ed up this year, so it's essentially become a far less useful way of cutting candidates. Now they have to increase academic thresholds on the undergraduate course.
Original post by MJK91
They haven't sent rejections to the wrong people, the stats aren't much worse than they were last year. The ukcat really ****ed up this year, so it's essentially become a far less useful way of cutting candidates. Now they have to increase academic thresholds on the undergraduate course.

Would we keep getting rejections till Feb/ March?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJK91

Wait what do you mean by the ukcat messing up?
Original post by Samodude11
Wait what do you mean by the ukcat messing up?

Well they trialed the new DA section with the confidence ratings, and everyone basically got an extra 10 minutes because they didn't count, so no one took them seriously. This year the average DA mark shot up by 120 or so.
Original post by jollygood
Would we keep getting rejections till Feb/ March?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely. I would have thought by end of Dec. with Barts.
Original post by Mo_maths
They said they would send out invites on the 11th right, up to now there has only been rejections, rejections of people with great stats. Im hoping that they accidentally stent rejections to the people they wanted to interview ...... unlikely I know but a good theory? naa I'm probably overthinking this.

haha, if only!

although I really doubt Barts admission people are that foolish to make such a mistake :P (but then again, are equally as foolish for rejecting us).
Original post by MJK91
Well they trialed the new DA section with the confidence ratings, and everyone basically got an extra 10 minutes because they didn't count, so no one took them seriously. This year the average DA mark shot up by 120 or so.

But surely if they didn't count then the universities never even saw the marks so it wouldn't matter?
Original post by Samodude11
But surely if they didn't count then the universities never even saw the marks so it wouldn't matter?

I think he means extra time was given for the DA section to complete the confidence ratings, which was spent on answering the question rather completing the ratings accurately.
I heard that all rejections are handed out this month, meaning that if you don't hear negative news this month you've got an interview...
Reply 1109
Really? Where did you hear this from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1110
Original post by DrumChops
I heard that all rejections are handed out this month, meaning that if you don't hear negative news this month you've got an interview...

may I ask how you know that?
Reply 1111
I am an EU student (outside UK) and there are no exams offered(in my country) in order to gain UCAS tariff points. I had 720 in the UKCAT but they just rejected me (I believe because of the tariff points)

Note: I have taken some SAT subject tests (I don't know if they count)
Reply 1112
Original post by bagda391
I am an EU student (outside UK) and there are no exams offered(in my country) in order to gain UCAS tariff points. I had 720 in the UKCAT but they just rejected me (I believe because of the tariff points)

Note: I have taken some SAT subject tests (I don't know if they count)

I am actually in the Same case as you, but for dentistry! I am an EU applicant (France) and the exams I take are from Cambridge so approved from UK. All the qualifications they list in their tariff table is exclusive for UK applicant, so I can't have any points! They said they've rejected because my application "does not meet the general entrance requirements". I think this is unfair for EU applicant as we don't have those qualifications. Basically they only want to take UK people, which is against the EU law stating that anybody from the EU zone can enter another country's uni....
I am going to ask my head teacher to ring them up.
Original post by Aelith
I am actually in the Same case as you, but for dentistry! I am an EU applicant (France) and the exams I take are from Cambridge so approved from UK. All the qualifications they list in their tariff table is exclusive for UK applicant, so I can't have any points! They said they've rejected because my application "does not meet the general entrance requirements". I think this is unfair for EU applicant as we don't have those qualifications. Basically they only want to take UK people, which is against the EU law stating that anybody from the EU zone can enter another country's uni....

Are you sure it's the academic requirements you were rejected on? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they're breaking EU law so easily, they know the rules.
Reply 1114
Original post by MJK91
Are you sure it's the academic requirements you were rejected on? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they're breaking EU law so easily, they know the rules.

Well, it stated that my application "does not meet general entrance requirement"
and I have passed the UKCaT (2480 total when they required minimum 2400 for undergraduates) and i have predicted 15 for the OIB (equivalent to A*AA on Cambridge site). I don't see where I did not meet the entrance requirements.
Reply 1115
Original post by Aelith
Well, it stated that my application "does not meet general entrance requirement"
and I have passed the UKCaT (2480 total when they required minimum 2400 for undergraduates) and i have predicted 15 for the OIB (equivalent to A*AA on Cambridge site). I don't see where I did not meet the entrance requirements.

I am an EU applicant like you (from Italy). When I asked them, they told me you have to be already graduated to apply in Barts, even for A100, if you are not from UK. Accordingly, UCAS Tariff should not count at all for non-UK students. In fact I am applying as a graduate for the A100.
Reply 1116
Same here. Got 2870 in the UKCAT and Band 2. Also got these scores in the SATs:

1960 in SAT 1
750 in Math lvl C2
700 in Physics
680 in Biology
680 in Chemistry
(took them all 1 year ago in my Junior Year)
Also I have 8.0/9.0 in the IELTS.
Btw Aelith, I got the exact same response. I really believe they just don't want EU students outside the UK :-?.

Original post by Aelith
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aelith

The 2400 requirement is the minimum requirement, where all rejections below that are rejected. If you score over that, your UKCAT and tariff are ranked together to give a joint score.

If your grades are equivalent to A*AA, they've probably given you a tariff based on the UK equivalent. A*AA isn't overly high in the grand scheme of things: UK students in this thread have been rejected with A*A*A and with UKCATs higher than 700.

The competition this year is very high, and it looks as though you need A*A*A* (or equivalent) with a good UKCAT (>2800). There is a bit of leeway; if you have A*AA and a UKCAT of 3200 you might have a chance, or vice versa e.g. a UKCAT score of 2400 but an outstanding tariff.
Reply 1118
Original post by MJK91
The 2400 requirement is the minimum requirement, where all rejections below that are rejected. If you score over that, your UKCAT and tariff are ranked together to give a joint score.

If your grades are equivalent to A*AA, they've probably given you a tariff based on the UK equivalent. A*AA isn't overly high in the grand scheme of things: UK students in this thread have been rejected with A*A*A and with UKCATs higher than 700.

The competition this year is very high, and it looks as though you need A*A*A* (or equivalent) with a good UKCAT (>2800). There is a bit of leeway; if you have A*AA and a UKCAT of 3200 you might have a chance, or vice versa e.g. a UKCAT score of 2400 but an outstanding tariff.

I clearly understand that, but I am applying for Dentistry, and people don't have such insane Ukcat, I've seen people get offers with 615 ukcat and furthermore, I am an undergraduate, so there isn't such a harsh competition as in graduates. And it states that it was because I did not meet the general entrance requirements, meaning that i did not meet the minimum requirements, so the basics. Otherwise, they would have said that I was refused because there is too many applicants that have stronger applications.
Reply 1119
Well... is there any way they can withdraw their decision ? :/xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending