The Student Room Group

Would you be able to do a course in I.T at Uni with a BTEC in a related subject?

I guess the title says it all. Are BTECs as respected as the relevant A Levels?
Reply 1
Original post by Neith
I guess the title says it all. Are BTECs as respected as the relevant A Levels?

yes they are, but the best university you can get into with btec is Kings other higher ranked universities wont accept
Reply 2
Yes they will I'm doing a btec and got offers from bath and queen Mary :smile:
Reply 3
Yep. I'm off next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
To do computer security I forgot to add

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Macmed94
yes they are, but the best university you can get into with btec is Kings other higher ranked universities wont accept

I'm at Bath and there are people here who've done BTECs so that's BS...
Reply 6
Original post by Damask-

Indeed, Bath have quite a good track record with BTEC students, last time I checked. It's also a great university. A bit windy on the hill, but a great location and institution. I'm a faculty member in London, but it's one I'd recommend. Steve Payne and Darren Cosker are both good lecturers (in different specialities, and as examples).

George
Reply 7
Original post by Damask-

If by bath you mean University of bath and not bath spa university, then it says on their website its essential to have an A at A-levels in mathematics and no mention of BTEC. However, you can do a foundation year with City of Bath and Wiltshire College and then start the computer science course, maybe you're friends went through this process though i'm unsure. Here's the link

Overall bath are ranked higher than birmingham, but bath comes 15th in computer science whereas with University of birmingham they are ranked 7th on the leaderboard for computer science, they also accept BTEC without having to do foundation year if you can meet the criteria of D*D* D* Here's the link Also on uni of Birmingham website, it says their 1st in the UK for Computer science.

Hope that helps :smile:

Reply 8
Original post by Macmed94
If by bath you mean University of bath and not bath spa university, then it says on their website its essential to have an A at A-levels in mathematics and no mention of BTEC. However, you can do a foundation year with City of Bath and Wiltshire College and then start the computer science course, maybe you're friends went through this process though i'm unsure. Here's the link

Overall bath are ranked higher than birmingham, but bath comes 15th in computer science whereas with University of birmingham they are ranked 7th on the leaderboard for computer science, they also accept BTEC without having to do foundation year if you can meet the criteria of D*D* D* Here's the link Also on uni of Birmingham website, it says their 1st in the UK for Computer science.

Hope that helps :smile:

I am at The University of Bath (not Bath Spa, to clarify) and they do accept BTEC students. Also I've spent a long time in both departments and i don't agree with the league tables there, Birmingham's course isn't as rigorous or mathematically challenging, but that's a digression. Just because it's not on Bath's website, doesn't mean they don't accept BTECs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending