Scroll to see replies

Original post by kcapsoccer
rejected
predicted: A*A*A*A
ukcat:740
i have no idea what they are looking for.. :/
good luck everyone else! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sorry to hear that. No one has any idea what they're looking for :/ stupid QM! :angry: arghhhh
Reply 1141
Original post by kcapsoccer
rejected
predicted: A*A*A*A
ukcat:740
i have no idea what they are looking for.. :/
good luck everyone else! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1142
Hahahahaha well this is really awkward.. I think they want straight 900 in the UKCAT:smile:) lol
Reply 1143
"European and international qualifications:
In general, we do not accept equivalent qualifications, so you will need to fulfil one of the above criteria. Please see www.smd.qmul.ac.uk for more information."
GG WP. Plz nerf the admission system ban hammer.
Reply 1144
Original post by Kimina
Your UKCAT and grades were not up to the standard of other applicants'. In fact it was below the national average. People have been rejected with UKCAT averages well into the 700s and 4 A Levels.Competition is really stiff this year and they cannot interview everyone.

People who've got rejected got the message "Increased competition for places", which is not my case as they state I did not "meet the general entry requirements". And I have applied for A200, not A100.
And the exam i am passing in France is not listed on their sites, but it is on King's, Bristol, Liverpool... It is a cambridge exam , and it´s approved by the UK gouvernment.
Original post by Aelith
People who've got rejected got the message "Increased competition for places", which is not my case as they state I did not "meet the general entry requirements". And I have applied for A200, not A100.
And the exam i am passing in France is not listed on their sites, but it is on King's, Bristol, Liverpool... It is a cambridge exam , and it´s approved by the UK gouvernment.

Do not think it is more likely there is another reason besides your exam? QMUL are a very good university, they are used to EU applicants. They aren't going to make a basic mistake like excluding your exam, especially if you're from France (the French very commonly apply to the UK). I find it hard to believe they are not familiar with your qualification.

What exam type did you sit?
Reply 1146
Original post by MJK91
Do not think it is more likely there is another reason besides your exam? QMUL are a very good university, they are used to EU applicants. They aren't going to make a basic mistake like excluding your exam, especially if you're from France (the French very commonly apply to the UK). I find it hard to believe they are not familiar with your qualification.

What exam type did you sit?

I take the OIB and very few french schools give that exam : http://www.sis-sevres.net/IMG/pdf/Brochure_for_OIB.pdf
Most french people take the normal baccalaureate which doesn't give them the opportunity to go to UK, while the OIB gives is the opportunity to go to UK . I have someone from my school last year who just got in Cambridge for medicine, clearly the exam is recognized but not mentionned on Barts ' site.
Original post by Aelith
I take the OIB and very few french schools give that exam : http://www.sis-sevres.net/IMG/pdf/Brochure_for_OIB.pdf
Most french people take the normal baccalaureate which doesn't give them the opportunity to go to UK, while the OIB gives is the opportunity to go to UK . I have someone from my school last year who just got in Cambridge for medicine, clearly the exam is recognized but not mentionned on Barts ' site.

If it's such a rare exam, then why would it be mentioned? It's the sort of thing you'd have to check with them on a case-by-case basis. It's clearly valid so I doubt that's the reason behind your rejection. Call them on Monday and find out, I'd be interested in hearing why.
Reply 1148
Original post by MJK91
If it's such a rare exam, then why would it be mentioned? It's the sort of thing you'd have to check with them on a case-by-case basis. It's clearly valid so I doubt that's the reason behind your rejection. Call them on Monday and find out, I'd be interested in hearing why.

Well it is mentionned on King's, Bristol and Liverpool's websites. I also think I don't have any exam listed on the UCAS tariff table so they can't really "rank" me, which is why it is really not in my favor. So i don't have any tariff score. I emailed by head to call them and explain them about my situation, hopefully they might change their mind, or at least consider future applicants with the OIB. It is better that i myself don't call because they will tend to behave rudely because they don't have the time to chitchat with applicants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1149
Original post by Aelith

I know that's completely unfair, but apparently it's Bart's policy. They are also the only ones who require from me a Statement of comparability, which I paid 60£, to guarantee them my degree (which is named "medical an pharmaceutical biotechnologies") has a strong enough compontent of biology, and that my score is equivalent to a 2.1 with honours (and it will be actually the highest possible).
Original post by booper
I know that's completely unfair, but apparently it's Bart's policy. They are also the only ones who require from me a Statement of comparability, which I paid 60£, to guarantee them my degree (which is named "medical an pharmaceutical biotechnologies") has a strong enough compontent of biology, and that my score is equivalent to a 2.1 with honours (and it will be actually the highest possible).

Actually, that is unfair on Barts. They follow guidance by UK NARIC who assess foreign degrees. Would you prefer them to blindly accept applicants with no proven degree content?
I'm beginning to think that Barts using a high ukcat cutoff as a deciding factor. Has anyone seen a ukcat score greater than 760 being rejected?
Reply 1152
Original post by MJK91
Actually, that is unfair on Barts. They follow guidance by UK NARIC who assess foreign degrees. Would you prefer them to blindly accept applicants with no proven degree content?

I do not think it is really necessary to pay an agency to assess your degree content, when you are required to write all the exams you took on UCAS application and you can provide a transcript of the exams. All other universities are able to assess it by themselves. However I was aware of it so there is no problem for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chocolate_pies
I'm beginning to think that Barts using a high ukcat cutoff as a deciding factor. Has anyone seen a ukcat score greater than 760 being rejected?

This is what I think too. I'm betting they've adopted Newcastle/Durham's approach and have a cut-off for it now!

Particularly since people with such high tariffs are being rejected!
Original post by StephenNaulls
This is what I think too. I'm betting they've adopted Newcastle/Durham's approach and have a cut-off for it now!

Particularly since people with such high tariffs are being rejected!

The 460 ucas selection for interview cutoff is higher than the AAAb entry requirement so a new ukcat cutoff would be in line with a filtering technique that they already use.
Reply 1155

But are they allowed to suddenly change their selection criteria without notifying us? They said its 50:50 ukcat and ucas in that email! This better not be true! :O
Original post by booper
I do not think it is really necessary to pay an agency to assess your degree content, when you are required to write all the exams you took on UCAS application and you can provide a transcript of the exams. All other universities are able to assess it by themselves. However I was aware of it so there is no problem for me.

How do they know that the degree was accurately marked? Degree fraud is a bit problem in the UK, especially in employment but also in gaining access to academia. There needs to be proof that degrees really tested the content they say they do. Listing your modules and grades isn't proof of the quality of the modules.

It is not just Barts. Kings use UK NARIC, as do Imperial and Nottingham by quick Google searches.
Original post by ak395
But are they allowed to suddenly change their selection criteria without notifying us? They said its 50:50 ukcat and ucas in that email! This better not be true! :O

I suppose it may not strictly qualify as a change in selection criteria - especially if it is 50:50 ukcat and ucas and then a additional ukcat cutoff used.
Reply 1158
Original post by Aelith

Did you have an AS in a 4th subject?
Reply 1159
I suppose it may not strictly qualify as a change in selection criteria - especially if it is 50:50 ukcat and ucas and then a additional ukcat cutoff used.

Ah great! Thats my rejection on its way. :\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending