The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Bubbles211
Oh that's surprising - although I wonder if they'll contact successful people before the new year as well, seeing as the deadline was earlier (i think!) than previous years...

I don't know. I wasn't aware that the deadline was earlier this year. They just told me to submit the missing document by the 17th. I'd imagine they can't give definite places until the reference deadline has passed.
Reply 221
Has anyone heard from reading yet?
Original post by Sgt5
Has anyone heard from reading yet?

Not yet! But they didn't close that long ago so it still might be a while

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
I got an email from Reading today thanking me for my application and saying that we should hear if we've been shortlisted for interview by January 16 :smile:
Reply 224
Ah me too! Was wondering if that was an email everyone got! I guess they are still short listing then! :smile:
Anyone else invited for interview at UCL on the 22nd of Jan? Watching and commenting on a video sounds much less daunting than recalling/commenting on the experience you have have though? Has anyone found anything useful for preparation? Had a quick look at the pre-course reading list on the course page.

Not heard from City either, so hoping no news is good news if they're contacting people about rejection now and are supposed to offer places in the new year? I know 7th of Feb is when they're supposed to let everyone know by.

Anyone any idea when UCL's offers are supposed to come? I guess they coincide with City's so people can make decisions.

Ahh so exciting! :smile:
Reply 226
Hi girls,

Congratulations on those that have been offered an interview! Well done!

I too am on the waiting list for interview at UCL. Sorry to dampen the mood, but does anyone else feel this has knocked their confidence a bit? I spoke to Anna Casey at UCL and she was lovely, saying that she couldn't provide individual feedback but that shortlisting had been extremely tough compared to previous years as they received higher volumes of high calibre applicants. All this being said, I still felt really upset about it as I had really hoped to be offered an interview. I have hit a bit of a wall work experience wise (I volunteered and worked with children with a learning disability, within a communication group for Stroke survivors, and within an integrated pre-school. I also shadowed Independant and NHS therapists and I am now in a paid position working as a Speech and Language Therapy Assistant for the NHS. I only recently started this but still, I don't really know what else I can do!)

I am holding out for City anyway as thats my first choice, but I am just feeling a bit disappointed and wondered how you girls felt? Will you reapply next year if you don't gain a place elsewhere? I knew it was extremely competitive but I honestly don't know what more I can do! I wish they gave feedback! :-)

Once again, well done to those that have an interview and good luck! :-)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 227
Original post by Holpol87
Hi girls,

I too am on the waiting list for interview at UCL. Sorry to dampen the mood, but does anyone else feel this has knocked their confidence a bit? I spoke to Anna Casey at UCL and she was lovely, saying that she couldn't provide individual feedback but that shortlisting had been extremely tough compared to previous years as they received higher volumes of high calibre applicants. All this being said, I still felt really upset about it as I had really hoped to be offered an interview. I have hit a bit of a wall work experience wise (I volunteered and worked with children with a learning disability, within a communication group for Stroke survivors, and within an integrated pre-school. I also shadowed Independant and NHS therapists and I am now in a paid position working as a Speech and Language Therapy Assistant for the NHS. I only recently started this but still, I don't really know what else I can do!)

I am holding out for City anyway as thats my first choice, but I am just feeling a bit disappointed and wondered how you girls felt? Will you reapply next year if you don't gain a place elsewhere? I knew it was extremely competitive but I honestly don't know what more I can do! I wish they gave feedback! :-)

Hi Holpol87,

I really am surprised that with your extensive work experience that you haven't been offered an interview. I understand that could easily cause your confidence to waver a bit but please don't be disheartened.

It's really very hard to know what the universities are looking for but it seems they prioritise things differently dependent on where you apply so don't believe that because one university hasn't offered you a place that the others won't. I really wish you the very best of luck with City and I hope you get your first choice. It only takes one place to say yes.

Regarding your question about whether I would apply again if it doesn't work out this year, Yes I would. It's difficult because of the time and energy that you invest through the application process, (Eight applications worth of blood, sweat and tears... I'm exhausted!), and the thought that that could all amount to nothing is a little bit heartbreaking but it's the end goal that matters and SLT is what I want to do. Living another year at home wouldn't be ideal but I'm so lucky that my family are supporting me which allows me to volunteer and get as much work experience as possible.

Keep your head up. I think we're all probably going to take a few confidence knocks and disappointments over the next few months but that just makes it all the sweeter when we finally get that yes.

Dani xx
Original post by Holpol87
Hi girls,

Hi Holly,

I completely agree with Dani - extremely surprised to see you haven't been offered an interview. I also agree that the Universities are looking for completely different things. UCL are supposedly looking for academic ability. I think it's why they only consider those who have already obtained degrees - they want to be able to assess your academic achievement to date. They will be looking at your degree result, your dissertation, etc.
City is definitely looking for practical skills. I've spoken to somebody on the course who said their entire personal statement described *what they had learnt* from work experience. Her friend, who achieved highly academically and wrote about this in her personal statement, was put on the waiting list the year previous to the year she got in.
Although terribly disappointing, I think the fact you're on the waiting list is really promising. It will be another year you'll be able to gain experience - all incredibly useful for gaining a job post-study (which I've been told is also extremely competitive...!) I know if I don't get in after the interview, I'm going to spend a year in Berlin learning German, as bilingual therapists are highly sought after. Part of me of course has already accepted I probably won't get in and am planning and saving for a year away!
We must think positively though and keep at the work experience. I know how it feels to think it's all for nothing as I've been volunteering for about three years now in different groups, hoping it will all pay off!
I'm going to spend Christmas reading and planning more work experience for the New Year because I know even when I get to interview in January, they'll be questioning what we're doing then! It's relentless! But you've come this far so don't lose hope I've had straight A friends rejected from medicine - it's the same story there too, it's so competitive that you really have to put your blood, sweat and tears into it!!

It's so true, when you finally do get it, it makes it all worth it!

Really good luck to you, and I'm positive you'll get it!
Has anyone heard from City today?
Reply 230
Nope I havnt heard have you?
Reply 231
Hi guys. I received an e-mail from Reading last week saying I'd been unsuccessful in my application. Best of luck getting through short listing!
Reply 232
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know. Good luck with the others x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233
Has anyone heard from sheffield? I think we are supposed to hear by Friday this week? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello :smile: I was thinking the exact same thing, I haven't heard anything so I was starting to worry! I rang them up and got an email this morning saying that the interviews are in January so they will be letting everyone who is shortlisted know by December 2013 and then will email all that aren't shortlisted as soon as possible. They then said they have received over 250 applications for less than 20 places so applicants will be contacted as soon as the tutors submit their decisions. So still a bit confused haha. x
Reply 235
Hey ah right. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe they mean because they've had more applications than expected they might take a bit longer or something. Will let you know if I hear anything x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Hi Dani and Anika,

Thank you very much for your kind words. They really did make me feel so much better, and I totally agree with you about how the universities look for different things. City definitely seemed more practical when I attended their open evening, and they ask you to reflect on experience a great deal in your Personal Statement. I have heard that UCL are much more academic/research focused. My degree wasn't related and I am more of a practical person so its probably for the best really.

I just really hope I get in to City, as that's where I really want to be!

It seems that Speech and Language Therapy is one of the hardest courses to apply to!

I will keep at it because it is definitely my vocation. I absolutely love what I do and would do it unpaid! (But its nice to be paid for a job I love haha)

I wish you both all the luck in the world with your interviews- do keep me posted on the outcome, and I will let you know when I hear from City.

Your words have given me more confidence- its nice to speak to people who understand what we go through to get a place!

I wish you all the best and have a great Christmas! xx
Reply 237
Got a interview at Sheffield so excited! Does anyone else on the 7th of January? And any ideas of interview format, it's like 3 hours long?? :smile: xxx
Reply 238
Mine is on January 27 with Sheffield & January 29 with Essex anyone else on the same day(s)? Neither uni gives anything away about the format of their interviews, huh!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 239
Original post by Laice
Mine is on January 27 with Sheffield & January 29 with Essex anyone else on the same day(s)? Neither uni gives anything away about the format of their interviews, huh!

I've also got an interview on 27th Jan. The 2 and a half hour interview sounds like a bit of a scary prospect, especially when they haven't told us the format. Wish we didn't have to wait until mid Jan to hear from Reading, hopefully City will be quicker. Good luck everyone and Merry Christmas x

Latest