The Student Room Group

UCAS - Declaring results.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

I read this post here, it was useful however I'm still a bit confused.

I have before me my results from my old sixth-form with I flunked at.

I'm now retaking an extra year and applying to UCAS, however I am not retaking the same papers/modules etc.

Previous college -

Chemistry B (Salters) - AS (D), A2 (U)
Maths (Use of) - AS (E), A2 (U)
Physics A - AS (E), A2 (U)

Current college -

Chemistry A - Predicted A
Biology - Predicted B
Physics A - Predicted B

He's the question, I am retaking BOTH AS and A2 exam papers in June, and I'm not sure what qualifications I need to declare in my application.

The AS results from my previous college? Or can I ignore them as I /am/ retaking?
Original post by rikyCF
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

I read this post here, it was useful however I'm still a bit confused.

I have before me my results from my old sixth-form with I flunked at.

I'm now retaking an extra year and applying to UCAS, however I am not retaking the same papers/modules etc.

Previous college -

Chemistry B (Salters) - AS (D), A2 (U)
Maths (Use of) - AS (E), A2 (U)
Physics A - AS (E), A2 (U)

Current college -

Chemistry A - Predicted A
Biology - Predicted B
Physics A - Predicted B

He's the question, I am retaking BOTH AS and A2 exam papers in June, and I'm not sure what qualifications I need to declare in my application.

The AS results from my previous college? Or can I ignore them as I /am/ retaking?

If you're retaking the same things you need to declare them and your upcoming ones. If you're not retaking you need to declare them and your upcoming ones.
Reply 2
So declare everything?
Original post by rikyCF
So declare everything?

Yeah.
Reply 4
"Don't forget that all subjects for which you have received a result must be entered, including those you have failed"

I was told, by my tutor that A-Levels which I've not passed I don't have to declare? Is this true?
Original post by rikyCF
"Don't forget that all subjects for which you have received a result must be entered, including those you have failed"

I was told, by my tutor that A-Levels which I've not passed I don't have to declare? Is this true?

I'm afraid not. Tutors are not infallable - sometimes they don't know all the details of the UCAS system. UCAS ask for all results even fails.

Putting them in wont harm your application in most cases.

Leaving them out puts you in a situation where you could have offers or even a degree withdrawn on a technicality.

If you want to take the risk then that's your decision. I'd strongly recommend that you're honest and include everything.

If your tutor is pushing back then send them the link to the stickied thread above.
Original post by rikyCF

Technically it's not a grade. But if you're re-taking then you will need to put down what you originally got.

From the UCAS website: All your qualifications that have been certified by an awarding organisation, as well as any you're currently studying or waiting for results. If you need help adding your AS and A levels check our Advisers' blog.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
I'm afraid not. Tutors are not infallable - sometimes they don't know all the details of the UCAS system. UCAS ask for all results even fails.

Putting them in wont harm your application in most cases.

Leaving them out puts you in a situation where you could have offers or even a degree withdrawn on a technicality.

If you want to take the risk then that's your decision. I'd strongly recommend that you're honest and include everything.

If your tutor is pushing back then send them the link to the stickied thread above.

Though telling the whole truth, there is a greater risk in putting them down than not.

Saying that, I still tried to do things by the book(3 years ago now), but my highly experienced HOS and tutor didn't let me. I did show them my thread on TSR, but they said I still had to change it so none of my results were declared even when certified.
p.s. I got my offers + never had a problem thus far.

At the end of the day, try and explain to your tutor what you think is right, but if he still disagrees then it's not going to affect to you in a bad way as everybody from your school will be sending it in the same format.
Original post by RVNmax
Though telling the whole truth, there is a greater risk in putting them down than not.

Saying that, I still tried to do things by the book(3 years ago now), but my highly experienced HOS and tutor didn't let me. I did show them my thread on TSR, but they said I still had to change it so none of my results were declared even when certified.
p.s. I got my offers + never had a problem thus far.

At the end of the day, try and explain to your tutor what you think is right, but if he still disagrees then it's not going to affect to you in a bad way as everybody from your school will be sending it in the same format.

Yep - plenty of people every year enter their qualifications incorrectly either down to genuine mistakes, misguided "advice" from school/college and because they're genuinely trying to sneak through the system and get a leg up.

University is all about growing up and becoming an adult and becoming responsible for your actions and decisions - if someone wants to risk leaving things off their application deliberately then that is 100% their choice.

HOWEVER every year on results day there are 5-10 people posting on TSR who've been rejected due to a technicality in their application (not declaring a resit, putting their results in incorrectly etc etc). Some of these people manage to convince their universities that the incorrect details were a mistake and not malicious (often because they've got people from their school able to back them up that they were instructed to withhold the information) and get lucky and still get a place. Some get rejected and end up taking unplanned gap years. And we ONLY hear from the people who are genuine mistakes - the people who're trying to fake their way into uni don't come to TSR for help when they're caught.

Putting everything in your form is fairly low impact and very low risk - admissions staff know their job - they're looking for indicators of potential success, giving them all the information they need makes the chances of getting a place on a course you're likely to excel on much higher.

Deliberately leaving information out of your application *is* fraud and it does have a potentially huge impact if caught out.
Declare EVERYTHING!
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Yep - plenty of people every year enter their qualifications incorrectly either down to genuine mistakes, misguided "advice" from school/college and because they're genuinely trying to sneak through the system and get a leg up.

University is all about growing up and becoming an adult and becoming responsible for your actions and decisions - if someone wants to risk leaving things off their application deliberately then that is 100% their choice.

HOWEVER every year on results day there are 5-10 people posting on TSR who've been rejected due to a technicality in their application (not declaring a resit, putting their results in incorrectly etc etc). Some of these people manage to convince their universities that the incorrect details were a mistake and not malicious (often because they've got people from their school able to back them up that they were instructed to withhold the information) and get lucky and still get a place. Some get rejected and end up taking unplanned gap years. And we ONLY hear from the people who are genuine mistakes - the people who're trying to fake their way into uni don't come to TSR for help when they're caught.

Putting everything in your form is fairly low impact and very low risk - admissions staff know their job - they're looking for indicators of potential success, giving them all the information they need makes the chances of getting a place on a course you're likely to excel on much higher.

Deliberately leaving information out of your application *is* fraud and it does have a potentially huge impact if caught out.

Thankyou!

I'll have a word with my tutor tomorrow, see what he thinks.

I'd rather do things by the book than get deferred for ANOTHER year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending