The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3120
Original post by LittleRedDot
just wondering, the 9 guys you are referring to, are they Admissions Selector or the Admissions Assessor? haha thanks for answering :smile:

There are some doing undergrad, some doing grad and others doing all sorts of other stuff. I don't know whether they are further separated into selector/assessor roles, they are involved in the admissions process from start to finish.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by CEKTOP
You don't have to be proficient in a certain subject to critically assess a PS. Academic staff never see or consider any applications (unless these are PhD applications), they have other things to do.

That would make sense. I assume the admissions staff have degrees in their subject so they'll be more than proficient to assess personal statements at A-Level standard.
Reply 3122
Original post by NedStark
That would make sense. I assume the admissions staff have degrees in their subject so they'll be more than proficient to assess personal statements at A-Level standard.

They all have degrees, but there are no "their" subjects. Remember that 9 people handle admissions for every course in LSE.
Well 9 people handling thousands of applicants explains why they can't stick to their deadlines!
Ah. We've heard a story from someone from an online internet forum. It must be true!
Original post by CEKTOP
They all have degrees, but there are no "their" subjects. Remember that 9 people handle admissions for every course in LSE.

I'm trying to understand what you're arguing. The guy suggested that because he focused primarily on PPE, that it's possible they didn't like the politics component of his PS when applying for philosophy and economics. That's a perfectly valid statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey anyone heard from the maths department?? I am 8 weeks into my 5 week email.. Still haven't heard anything. Applied for math and econ:frown:
Reply 3127
Original post by BeatTheBox
Hey anyone heard from the maths department?? I am 8 weeks into my 5 week email.. Still haven't heard anything. Applied for math and econ:frown:

8 weeks?? That's really long. I am 6 weeks into the 5 week email and still waiting to hear from LSE. If it will take them 8 weeks to reply or even longer, then it would be January for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3128
Original post by silonthesofa
I'm trying to understand what you're arguing. The guy suggested that because he focused primarily on PPE, that it's possible they didn't like the politics component of his PS when applying for philosophy and economics. That's a perfectly valid statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's a valid argument. I never contested it, that's quite clear.
Reply 3129
I see a few people on this thread worried that mentioning politics on a Philosophy and Economics application might do harm. Like a few people here I applied to PPE at Oxford and a few other places but Phil+Econ at LSE and UCL.

I got my offer from LSE on the 8th of November (pretty early) and my personal statement had quite a few mentions of politics and political philosophy, though no explicit mentions of PPE as a course. I'd say not to worry since they know you might be applying for PPE at other places, but if you're a good enough candidate anyway you should get an offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
I, too, applied for PPE at Oxford. My opening and closing paragraphs specifically mentioned 'Philosophy, Politics, and Economics'. My statement was split equally between the three subjects. And I received an offer for Politics & Philosophy a week ago. So I would not worry about talking about more than politics+philosophy or politics+economics in your personal statement.
Original post by Son1809
Offer for BSc Government and Economics!

Great job ! Currently in my fifth week into my 7 week period ! :biggrin: Hope to join you soon !
Reply 3132
With the four weeks waiting email, I probably will keep thinking about LSE, thinking about LSE and thinking about LSE for my entire Christmas holiday... So sad:frown:
Reply 3133
Original post by simsim96
anybody got an offer for international relations yet ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

NO :frown:
Reply 3134
International relations has to be the slowest department..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeatTheBox

I'm in the same situation with you, applying Maths and Econ as well.
Original post by Zebra 109
Any UK applicant received an offer from management so far?

got on on the 21st November, applied 16th October
Original post by Shehr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if it is necessary to send proof of your qualifications? It's meant to be on the offer letter but I can't find it on there.
Original post by Shehr

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that award goes to Maths and Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending