The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StephenNaulls
This makes me think they've definitely made a mistake with me. It's so frustrating that it's the weekend so I can't find out straight away.

EDIT:

Just worked it out again in full:
A*AA prediction = 380
A Physics AS= 60
A* EPQ = 70
OCR Level 3 National Certificate in Business Distinction = 120
Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma Merit = 80
Comes to 710. I don't want to be the person that thinks they've been rejected based on a massive error... but really?

I have 1,420 and got rejected. 710 in both. So it must just be a UKCAT cut-off at like 740, or a total cut off of at least 1,420+

The weighting of 50:50 UCAS : UCKAT still stands. Okay, I'm going to try and explain this as best I can, there is in fact raised competition. However it is not so much as this person suggests. After getting rejected on Thursday UCAS Tariff:540 UKCAT: 760, I decided to call them up (I thought I had a tariff of 660 due to an OCR National in ICT), when I called them they said about calculating tariffs, they do not include BTECS or OCR nationals. I proceeded to ask them if this was made clear before applying and it is apparently stated on their website somewhere. I'm sorry Stephen but you're UCAS tariff is only 510. I decided to try my luck and ask them for the cut-off for the combined score, it is 1310, so everyone stop worrying the cut-off is not impossible and I'm sure there are plenty who've achieved and exceeded that or else they would not reject so many good applicants. I'm sorry Stephen, but I think we should not show envy to those who may get an interview in the future, but indeed congratulate them!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by george1996
The weighting of 50:50 UCAS : UCKAT still stands. Okay, I'm going to try and explain this as best I can, there is in fact raised competition. However it is not so much as this person suggests. After getting rejected on Thursday UCAS Tariff:540 UKCAT: 760, I decided to call them up (I thought I had a tariff of 660 due to an OCR National in ICT), when I called them they said about calculating tariffs, they do not include BTECS or OCR nationals. I proceeded to ask them if this was made clear before applying and it is apparently stated on their website somewhere. I'm sorry Stephen but you're UCAS tariff is only 510. I decided to try my luck and ask them for the cut-off for the combined score, it is 1310, so everyone stop worrying the cut-off is not impossible and I'm sure there are plenty who've achieved and exceeded that or else they would not reject so many good applicants. I'm sorry Stephen, but I think we should not show envy to those who may get an interview in the future, but indeed congratulate them!

Was I being envious? :confused: I'm sorry if I was...

EDIT: They do say this though, which is a little misleading:

'A100 applicants (not including graduates) who achieve at least 2400 overall in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all ‘tariffable’ criteria. Candidates will be expected to have achieved or be predicted a UCAS tariff of 460 or more. We aim to interview approximately 800 applicants on the basis of UKCAT score and predicted UCAS tariff. It is not possible to predict what the thresholds will be in any individual year, nor to use data from previous years to predict subsequent years’ thresholds, since it is essentially competitive and depends on who applies. Hence we do not plan to make this information public.
UCAS tariff is made up of a number of academic and non-academic qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to review the list of ‘tariffable’ qualifications and must ensure that all qualifications they have taken and/or are taking are listed on their UCAS application in order to be taken into consideration. As well as AS and A2 levels, other examples of tariffable qualifications include the Cambridge Pre-U, the ‘Extended Project’, the International Baccalaureate, the Irish Leaving Certificate, and Music Examinations. We will calculate your tariff for all tariffable qualifications you list on your UCAS application including those that are not taken into consideration for meeting our minimum academic requirements e.g. An AS or A’level in General Studies or Critical Thinking.'
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chemz202
When did you find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i got an email from ucas on friday but i saw it today.. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was I being envious? :confused: I'm sorry if I was...

EDIT: They do say this though, which is a little misleading:

'A100 applicants (not including graduates) who achieve at least 2400 overall in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all ‘tariffable’ criteria. Candidates will be expected to have achieved or be predicted a UCAS tariff of 460 or more. We aim to interview approximately 800 applicants on the basis of UKCAT score and predicted UCAS tariff. It is not possible to predict what the thresholds will be in any individual year, nor to use data from previous years to predict subsequent years’ thresholds, since it is essentially competitive and depends on who applies. Hence we do not plan to make this information public.
UCAS tariff is made up of a number of academic and non-academic qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to review the list of ‘tariffable’ qualifications and must ensure that all qualifications they have taken and/or are taking are listed on their UCAS application in order to be taken into consideration. As well as AS and A2 levels, other examples of tariffable qualifications include the Cambridge Pre-U, the ‘Extended Project’, the International Baccalaureate, the Irish Leaving Certificate, and Music Examinations. We will calculate your tariff for all tariffable qualifications you list on your UCAS application including those that are not taken into consideration for meeting our minimum academic requirements e.g. An AS or A’level in General Studies or Critical Thinking.'

Yes, I know and that is what makes me more annoyed, they should make more clear that they only count certain qualification. Although the fact they didn't include Btecs or OCRs (two well known and widely done qualifications) when listing examples tariffable qualifications should have been a hint to me! I guess though, I should have been a little more cautious when I chose Barts, but it doesn't really matter much. Interviews from Birmingham, Manchester and Durham, so I don't really mind :smile: All's well that ends well.
Yes, I know and that is what makes me more annoyed, they should make more clear that they only count certain qualification. Although the fact they didn't include Btecs or OCRs (two well known and widely done qualifications) when listing examples tariffable qualifications should have been a hint to me! I guess though, I should have been a little more cautious when I chose Barts, but it doesn't really matter much. Interviews from Birmingham, Manchester and Durham, so I don't really mind :smile: All's well that ends well.

Well I'm still going to ring them tomorrow. Obviously, nothing will change but I can remember anticipating this problem before applying and they assured me that my qualifications would be counted. I wish I'd taken the name of the person that told me now.

Fortunately, they were my fourth choice. Royally pissed off though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

so if i have 1335 will i be rejected or will i get an interview?? are you sure about the 1310 cut off???

As I said before, Barts did email me in late November asking me to email them my OCR nationals certificate as well as a link to the corresponding tariff table so that they may award be UCAS POINTS for the OCR nationals.

So as far as I know, they do count OCR nationals.
Reply 1187
Original post by ocelot92
rejected today at 10.15am with 725 ukcat and 9A* GCSEs!!!

UCAS:
A2: A*A*A predictions
AS: AAAAA
EPQ: A* (2 years early)
FSMQ A
= 610 I think

this is ridiculous what did they even want???

But this person is above the cutoff of 1310 so does that mean that the cutoff does not guarantee interview?
Reply 1188

I highly doubt they told you the cut off on the phone or by any means.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ak395
But this person is above the cutoff of 1310 so does that mean that the cutoff does not guarantee interview?

FMSQ is probably not counted? She should ask them, I'd recommend calling them tomorrow? But there must be a valid explanation, cut-off is definitely 1310...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look mate, I know it's hard to take, I'm in the same position but that's what they said...Call them tomorrow and ask, you'll get the same answer by persistence!
Original post by star10159
As I said before, Barts did email me in late November asking me to email them my OCR nationals certificate as well as a link to the corresponding tariff table so that they may award be UCAS POINTS for the OCR nationals.

So as far as I know, they do count OCR nationals.

That's really strange... Why haven't hey done that for anyone else? What did the email say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1191
And, the website states that they accept all tariffable qualifications, even general studies and critical thinking, which are considered to be worthless...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always thought their 50:50 system would be more complicated than adding the tarriff to the UKCAT score and then deciding upon a cut-off!!
That's really strange... Why haven't hey done that for anyone else? What did the email say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly what I was thinking...I never got an email!

Definitely phoning them tomorrow morning. Some serious explaining to do.

Particularly since I just went through there website and it doesn't say they're unacceptable anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really difficult to believe this 1310 cut-off thing :eek: I'm not so sure
Are we being trolled? I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1197
People... don't forget that they consider the PS, work experience and everything else... just because someone is academically suitable for medicine doesn't mean they are suitable to become a doctor ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure that they are adding average UKCAT score to UCAS Tariff or is it total UKCAT score (i.e total of all four sections). If it is latter then UKCAT is more important
Original post by GCSE-help
It's really difficult to believe this 1310 cut-off thing :eek: I'm not so sure

Call tomorrow...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending