The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TraineeLynsey
I'm doing school direct and about 10-15% of my cohort have jobs lined up already. On finding that out last week I believe their popularity promptly plummeted, lol!

Lots of very jealous faces in the lecture theatre!!

Hi, I thought schools direct pretty much had guaranteed jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2661
Original post by pgce2013
Hi, I thought schools direct pretty much had guaranteed jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh how I wish it was like that... :smile:
Reply 2662
I'm wondering if some of you PGCE guys can help me out with a couple of questions. I'm currently in my final year as an undergrad (English lit) and I've been looking into applying for a PGCE course. How long is the actual course and at what point in your final year did you apply for the PGCE? Also someone told me that there is funding available for PGCE, is there a minimum requirement for that?
Original post by -bill-
I'm wondering if some of you PGCE guys can help me out with a couple of questions. I'm currently in my final year as an undergrad (English lit) and I've been looking into applying for a PGCE course. How long is the actual course and at what point in your final year did you apply for the PGCE? Also someone told me that there is funding available for PGCE, is there a minimum requirement for that?

The course is a year long. I applied late October and had an interview in December. The PGCE is funded the same was as an undergraduate degree but there is also the possibility of a bursary as well depending on your course choice and degree class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had an awful lesson this morning with y9, had planned a really great lesson for them on the Battle of the Somme, and they just couldn't be mature. We were talking about recent tragedies and disasters and even then some of the boys were giggling. Went to head of dept, got 30 textbooks and they spent the rest of the lesson copying word for word the textbook, and then the usual class teacher came in after I'd had given them a proper telling off, and set them a really long and boring homework to do for Thursday. Maybe on Thursday they'll be a bit more mature!

However, last lesson was brilliant with my year 8's. We played Take Me Out and decided who Elizabeth I should marry. They were so good, and so enthusiastic. So that restored my faith in teaching - however, I feel totally emotionally drained after today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2665
Original post by outlaw-torn
Had an awful lesson this morning with y9, had planned a really great lesson for them on the Battle of the Somme, and they just couldn't be mature. We were talking about recent tragedies and disasters and even then some of the boys were giggling. Went to head of dept, got 30 textbooks and they spent the rest of the lesson copying word for word the textbook, and then the usual class teacher came in after I'd had given them a proper telling off, and set them a really long and boring homework to do for Thursday. Maybe on Thursday they'll be a bit more mature!

However, last lesson was brilliant with my year 8's. We played Take Me Out and decided who Elizabeth I should marry. They were so good, and so enthusiastic. So that restored my faith in teaching - however, I feel totally emotionally drained after today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate when you plan a really exciting, interesting lesson and they just don't give it a chance. I had that with a re-enactment of the Jewish Friday Night Dinner on one of my placements. Though luckily other teachers in the year were teaching the same lesson and it went well so I at least knew it wasn't planned awfully!

xxx
First Review went great; my mentor put I was making expected progress for every standard so that will do me!

Year 7 lesson wasn't too great this morning, all the pupils are in Christmas mode and the staff have just had their faculty reviews so are basically running on empty and the kids know it. The lads in the class were being silly and distracting one another, everyone was hyper and I got asked a million different questions at once, once I had set my activity, think they were playing the 'I don't understand this when I actually do' card to waste time. What made it worse was that the teacher who usually sits in the class had to go somewhere for 5 minutes, I thought great I can just get on with it, then out of nowhere my Head of English comes and sits in on the lesson! To say it made me nervous was an understatement. Once she had left the class actually became better and in the end the majority engaged with the activity to the point of silence in the room because they were so engrossed in their work.

Have year 8 tomorrow, possibly year 10 on Friday then next week I'm assuming I'm not teaching as it's a put a film on in every class week with a Thursday early finish for Christmas.

Need to sit down with several teachers and discuss what I need to be thinking about in terms of subject content for next term with all my classes.

Assignment done, First Review done....things seem a bit too good so I'm expecting a catch somewhere!
Need some advice here please.

My first placement has been at a faith school and that's ending next week. The list for our second placement is up and I've been placed at another faith school. My question and concern is, is it looked down upon to do all your placements at a faith school? My big concern is what prospective employers will think.

If it is a problem I will have to inform my uni before next week. I'm also gonna speak to my current mentor and see what he says.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
No, I wouldn't say that it makes any difference- why should it? In terms of teaching and learning it should be the same as a non-faith school. Plus the demographics might be different etc. If the issue did arise before a potential job just explain that it wasn't up to you. Unless you were doing Religious Studies, I guess it may make a bit more difference then!
A job has come up at my 'home' school (I'm doing schools direct nonsalaried)! It came up on Thursday and closes on Monday :/ I'm going to apply for it but I'm a bit worried because they have seen my terrible lessons and know I aren't a shiny amazing teacher yet!
Original post by Shelly_x
A job has come up at my 'home' school (I'm doing schools direct nonsalaried)! It came up on Thursday and closes on Monday :/ I'm going to apply for it but I'm a bit worried because they have seen my terrible lessons and know I aren't a shiny amazing teacher yet!

Go for it. What have you got to lose??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shelly, take the opportunity - you can say atleast you applied and will have no regrets .....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone planning to buy their mentor/children anything before they leave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got my mentor a Twinings gift set because she loves fruit tea. She's been a brilliant mentor and even drops me off at home every day because I live near her. Got the department a tub of quality Street as well. I might take some sweets in for my form :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apply apply apply! You've nothing to lose, and plus they know your a trainee so this time next year you'll be much improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2675
Need some advice here please.

My first placement has been at a faith school and that's ending next week. The list for our second placement is up and I've been placed at another faith school. My question and concern is, is it looked down upon to do all your placements at a faith school? My big concern is what prospective employers will think.

If it is a problem I will have to inform my uni before next week. I'm also gonna speak to my current mentor and see what he says.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree - I can't see it being an issue. No-one chooses their placements, so schools won't read anything in to it. It might be worth having a little think about what you would say if you are asked how it helped or how you would use it to teach in a non-faith school in interview - you could ask your uni mentor for advice with this too (or a teacher in your placement school). I was in two large city primaries for example and that didn't stop me getting an interview for a small village/town infant. Even though there may be similarities every school is different and it's what you take from it that matters.

Having said that, if you personally are not very comfortable with it (but perhaps let it go for your first placement) then I would talk to your mentor. Whether you feel you can work in a faith school is a very personal decision and I think doing a placement there should be likewise.

xxx
Go for it. What have you got to lose??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by pgce2013
Shelly, take the opportunity - you can say atleast you applied and will have no regrets .....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'm definitely going to apply, just a bit worried about it. Also not sure what to write as everything I've done is at their school! Suppose that could work in my favour though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be buying my mentor and the host teacher I've taken over the class of so far something. Think I'll get a little something for each of the English team too, to thank them for putting up with me!
Reply 2678
Anyone else looking forward to next weekend? Or July even?
Reply 2679
Original post by CTVicky
Anyone else looking forward to next weekend? Or July even?

You bet! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending