The Student Room Group

Is Social Work a competitive field? Will it be hard for me to get into?

So I've decided to take on Social Work at uni, but i am very worried i won't get any offers, as my AS grades are not that good and i have a little amount of work experience in comparison to others who are applying who have years of experience.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you don't need to study social work at uni to be a social worker...
Reply 2
Original post by smd4std

I know, but i would prefer to choose that path into SW

Is there any reasons why you would not reccomend me not to choose this route? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Tamanna19

Is there any reasons why you would not reccomend me not to choose this route? :smile:

Recommend
Reply 4

if you study another degree you would have more career options available to you, whereas if you just chose to study social work.
So I've decided to take on Social Work at uni, but i am very worried i won't get any offers, as my AS grades are not that good and i have a little amount of work experience in comparison to others who are applying who have years of experience.

It's a competitive field when it comes to applying for the course at university. However, there are jobs galore when you graduate, which is a very nice position to be in.

I would suggest that you do your best with your application this year. If you don't get any offers (though I have no idea whether you will or not) then take it as an opportunity to take a gap year, get lots more experience (not just with children, think about disabled adults and the elderly too), and put in a much more competitive application in the following year.

I have applied to Social Work this year and so far have 4 out of 5 interview invitations. What experience do you have? I got CCCD at AS and got BCC at A Level so!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by smd4std

Yes you do
Original post by Nutella:3
Yes you do

Yeah, I second that. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
no you don't
Original post by smd4std
no you don't

Apart from Frontline, which does involve some study of social work, please explain how you can become a social worker without studying social work.
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
Apart from Frontline, which does involve some study of social work, please explain how you can become a social worker without studying social work.

Step up to Social Work route; you only need gcses for it
Original post by smd4std
Step up to Social Work route; you only need gcses for it

No, you need a 2:1 / 1st degree for it as well, and it does involve some study alongside work-based training.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/supporting-social-workers-to-provide-help-and-protection-to-children/supporting-pages/canparent-trial
http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2010/09/10/step-up-to-social-work-graduates-discuss-their-course/#.Uq4miPmGoqk
Reply 13

still, i proved my point, like i said you don't need to study social work at university in order to be one.

What experience do you have? As long as you can relate it to Social Work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

I was told that social work was really hard to get into yetI applied for 2 uni’s and got 2 offers so I think I proved everybody wrong there.I have not got a lot of experience but I do have relevant experience.. At my interviewsI was told I had a great personal statement which helped me to get the interviewsin the first place and from the experience my advice to you would be, read up onthe area and really know your stuff so that if asked a question you’re not leftspeechless. Social workers need to have great communication skills so it’s alsoabout how you present yourself in an interview because you need to show that you’reconfident and can handle stressful situations like this. The best thing to do istry and get some experience even that’s just volunteering for 1 day a week withAge UK which is what I have been doing, it makes it easier to talk about on interviewsin the sense of “changing somebody’s life” J Good luck in your choices.
Original post by SammyA
I was told that social work was really hard to get into yetI applied for 2 uni’s and got 2 offers so I think I proved everybody wrong there.I have not got a lot of experience but I do have relevant experience.. At my interviewsI was told I had a great personal statement which helped me to get the interviewsin the first place and from the experience my advice to you would be, read up onthe area and really know your stuff so that if asked a question you’re not leftspeechless. Social workers need to have great communication skills so it’s alsoabout how you present yourself in an interview because you need to show that you’reconfident and can handle stressful situations like this. The best thing to do istry and get some experience even that’s just volunteering for 1 day a week withAge UK which is what I have been doing, it makes it easier to talk about on interviewsin the sense of “changing somebody’s life” J Good luck in your choices.

Can I ask where shouts are you from and what unis you applied for? I want to go to university to study social work in 2022 and I’ve been told it’s so hard to get accepted because they prefer older students not ones straight out of college and with not much experience. I will have a years home care experience and I am finding volunteer opportunities for a few hours a week. What’s are my chances of getting into university
I have applied for sept 2021 start at UWE, Cardiff and Gloucester Uni .. and I have been accepted by UWE and Gloucester .. haven’t heard yet from Cardiff . You definitely need some care experience. I had 8 years experience as a senior support worker , Nvq level 3 in health and social care and an access course . The interview can be pretty intense , I also had a case study . But if you understand the care industry, you should be ok . Yes they do prefer mature students due to the fact that social work is a challenging filed and therefore requires experience . UWE is a pretty good uni for social work .. now depends whether you want to travel to uni or move there ..
Original post by VirginiaC
I have applied for sept 2021 start at UWE, Cardiff and Gloucester Uni .. and I have been accepted by UWE and Gloucester .. haven’t heard yet from Cardiff . You definitely need some care experience. I had 8 years experience as a senior support worker , Nvq level 3 in health and social care and an access course . The interview can be pretty intense , I also had a case study . But if you understand the care industry, you should be ok . Yes they do prefer mature students due to the fact that social work is a challenging filed and therefore requires experience . UWE is a pretty good uni for social work .. now depends whether you want to travel to uni or move there ..

Thank you so much I’m from Cardiff and Gloucester is on my list to check out. You will have to let me know what it’s like when you start I am currently doing my level 3 health and social care which comes with 3 6 week placements at a variety of places. I am predicted Distinction, Distinction, distinction. By the time I start university I will have over a years experience in home care and I am currently looking for volunteer positions near me. So I’m hoping that will be enough experience is there anything you can suggest to help boost me? I was told the interview process is very hard but I am very determined as social work is something I’m very passionate about and it’s definitely something I want to do with my life. Thanks so much
I did not find the interview process that hard ..
A strong personal statement it’s essential , as that will probably determine your chance for an interview . When I applied first time for social work , nearly 8 years ago I didn’t get in ,although I was given an interview . Make sure you apply before the 15 of January as well . And good luck ☺️

Original post by Tia.Mcgowan
Thank you so much I’m from Cardiff and Gloucester is on my list to check out. You will have to let me know what it’s like when you start I am currently doing my level 3 health and social care which comes with 3 6 week placements at a variety of places. I am predicted Distinction, Distinction, distinction. By the time I start university I will have over a years experience in home care and I am currently looking for volunteer positions near me. So I’m hoping that will be enough experience is there anything you can suggest to help boost me? I was told the interview process is very hard but I am very determined as social work is something I’m very passionate about and it’s definitely something I want to do with my life. Thanks so much
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest