The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

stephen do you mind going through how you calculated your 710 ucas tariff?
Original post by Pedro H
I think what the poster meant was that 50:50 (ucas:ukcat) can be interpreted in different ways so the criteria need to be clear.

Personally, I have never really understood 50:50 weighting. Ukcat carries more points (out of 900) so would it not naturally carry more weight?

Okay thanks :smile: and I have no clue about the 50:50 scaling thingy. I just hope i get some sort of response soon, the wait is killing me :frown:
Original post by hello10902
stephen do you mind going through how you calculated your 710 ucas tariff?

I've posted this before, but sure:

The breakdown of my tariff should be as following:
A*AA prediction = 380
A Physics AS= 60
A* EPQ prediction = 70
OCR Level 3 National Certificate in Business Distinction = 120
Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma Merit = 80

I was assured that the last two would be counted by Barts before applying. Someone else was contacted and asked to send over the certificates for them so that they could be awarded, but I wasn't. (Just wanted to try and nip any confusion in the bud:P)
Original post by nhta112
what are yours stats? So can try to fit it in my prediction of the calculation that they use?

God I feel so stupid for this:

UKCAT = 747.5 average
Tariff = 430

I didn't understand the tariff criteria and when I emailed asking for clarification the reply didn't make any sense. My teachers didn't know very much about QM either so I applied and thought 'eh, let's give it a shot' lol.
I've accepted the rejection now, so when it comes it won't be a shock :rolleyes:
Reply 1304
Original post by Samodude11
This doesn't explain how they work out the graduates. Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduates are simply ranked by UKCAT score, providing they meet the min requirements of 2.1 in one of Barts' accepted degrees or degree and A-level combos.

Sorry to hear about the latest rejections guys.
Reply 1305
my ukcat is 737.5 and my ucas tariff is 570, isit likely I will get rejected? please be honest thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nana96
my ukcat is 737.5 and my ucas tariff is 570, isit likely I will get rejected? please be honest thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, i don't think anyone knows :s
Everybody who is asking will they be rejected none of us know! We aren't the admissions tutors so you are in the same position we are and no matter how many times people ask no one knows. Just have to wait unfortunately
People Bart's Is open till 23 December 2013 .... OMG And then I think 2/3 January .. From Facebook QM admissions may be wrong....
Xmas will be a brief respite or in deep agony ...... Lord save the queen and country and me???? Pretty please

Posted from TSR Mobile
I realize I'm moaning but there has to got to be a better way of ranking people then by a silly test which has nothing to do with medical capability.
Original post by confuzzledvee
I realize I'm moaning but there has to got to be a better way of ranking people then by a silly test which has nothing to do with medical capability.

Amen to that, UKCAT is the most useless thing invented.
Original post by nana96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not 100% certain but you'll most likely get an interview
Original post by nhta112
oh well, this is what I worked out :
600 tariff 2900 UKCAT
736 tariff 2520 UKCAT
SO, 136 tariffs for 380 UKCAT
==> each 10 tariffs you need less 27.9 UKCAT ( only work if your tariffs are between 600 and 736 )
For example, 660 needs 2732 UKCAT to fall into the middle range

For a tariff of 660 from your method wouldn't it be a UKCAT of 2687
Because 380/136 would give the number of UCAS tariff points per ukcat point
Then times (380/136) by 60
Then plus that answer onto 2520
And it comes out as 2687?
Reply 1313
Original post by CW84
I'm a maths grad that's applied to both courses at Barts, UKCAT 792.5. How about you?

Wow you have a great UKCAT score

Biomedical Science: 1st
UKCAT: 740
Reply 1314
Original post by ivosk
Yep I've applied for a100 and a101 :cool:

Sameeee

Its a waiting game for us lol
Undergraduate applicant:

730 UKCAT
735 Tariff

Heard nothing yet, holding onto some hope. However, QM is one of my lower choices and so far, I'm not very impressed by their admin.
Reply 1316
Original post by petzneo
Yep... i have heard a thing - waiting for the rejection :frown:

feel the same way like you do lets just hope its good news though *fingers crossed*
Reply 1317
Original post by SuparNoob
Undergraduate applicant:

730 UKCAT
735 Tariff

Heard nothing yet, holding onto some hope. However, QM is one of my lower choices and so far, I'm not very impressed by their admin.

Good luck your stats are very good but dont know why QM are being harsh this year :frown:
Reply 1318
Original post by Aelith
My head teacher called them, so did I. They do not feel that the French students have completed enough hours of Biology compared to other subjects. Which is completely insane their thinking as someone from my school last year just entered in cambridge for medicine. I asked them by email in August and they said it was totally fine, lies. And i took the ukCAt just for them. I feel deeply betrayed, I Could have applied instead for Plymouth. Urg. Now fingers crossed on bristol and Liverpool as they both accept the OIB. So just to tell future EU applicants that don't take the IB., don't apply to Barts. They aren't open.

That's absolutely awful. I full letter of complaint needs to be written. It's not fair to tell you that your qualifications are fine when 'they are not' (which I think is complete ****. Good luck with Bristol and Liverpool.
Well after reading all of this I am getting rather nervous :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending