The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Ask a Bournemouth University Student.

Hey there, I saw the Southampton board has a thread for this so I thought why not!

I graduated from BU in September after a 3 (*cough*4 failed 1st year*cough*) year course so know the area and the runnings of the University very well.

If anybody has any questions about Bournemouth, BU, Accommodation or the Psychology degree, I'm more than willing to answer :smile: I also have knowledge of the Additional Learning Needs department and the uni clubs and societies.

In fact, I may be coming back in 2014 as I have an interview for the Child Nursing course.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a student of the university, but a native of the area so I can help out with more general things :smile:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
I have applied for Mental Health Nursing at Bournemouth university and they have sent me a letter asking about another reference and relevant work experience. Does this mean i have been rejected? Or does every applicant receive this?
Reply 3
I'm happy to answer anything specific about AUB as well since it doesn't have its own forum :smile:
Original post by Ciri
Hey there, I saw the Southampton board has a thread for this so I thought why not!

I graduated from BU in September after a 3 (*cough*4 failed 1st year*cough*) year course so know the area and the runnings of the University very well.

If anybody has any questions about Bournemouth, BU, Accommodation or the Psychology degree, I'm more than willing to answer :smile: I also have knowledge of the Additional Learning Needs department and the uni clubs and societies.

In fact, I may be coming back in 2014 as I have an interview for the Child Nursing course.

HI !! I am a student who has applied to BU UNIVERCITY for psychology ... just wondering , may your tell me if the course and area is enjoyable , and if its worth me studying to have good skills for a future job in life please id be thankful
Reply 5
Original post by lucymorris
I have applied for Mental Health Nursing at Bournemouth university and they have sent me a letter asking about another reference and relevant work experience. Does this mean i have been rejected? Or does every applicant receive this?

I received one of these too!

It absolutely does not mean a rejection. Think of it like this, at the end you will be a registered professional for the NHS. In the meantime, you will be provided with the training you need both theoretical and practical. Just like any other job application, you need 2 references to make sure you are suitable for the role. They already have one from UCAS, now they need another, it can be from a teacher or an employer. I got a person I have been volunteering with to do mine.

Good luck! Perhaps I'll see you there in September, I have an interview for Child Nursing on Tuesday.

Bit of advice, you can begin filling out your NHS finance application now. You don't have to send it yet of course but it's a good thing to sort out because you will also need to fill out one for Student Finance England which is a complete nightmare and takes ages. If you need any help, send me a PM :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by fionaanabella
HI !! I am a student who has applied to BU UNIVERCITY for psychology ... just wondering , may your tell me if the course and area is enjoyable , and if its worth me studying to have good skills for a future job in life please id be thankful

The course is awesome but a pain in the neck sometimes because the lecturers like to set their assignments for the same day. At one point I had a 2 2000 word essays and 3 in class test on the same day and they didn't seem concerned about it. I ended up breaking down in tears >.< The University itself is very good, if you end up going, get involved in the societies, there's loads of them and you have a really good time. Make use of the freshers fare at the beginning of the year, I collected enough free pens to last until christmas :wink: The area is good too, everything is pretty close together. You would be studying at the Talbot campus which has the doctors surgery, day care, loads of different eating places and is the main hub for the university.

As for job opportunities. Hm. I'll be honest, if the job market was that good, I would not be applying to do another degree. If you get a good placement and loads of work experience (difficult to get into) then you're fine, if you don't then it doesn't matter if you get a 2.2 like I did or a 1st like my friend did, you will have a very difficult time of it. We are both in the same position and unlikely to get a job in Psychology in the future. At the moment, it all depends on who you know rather than what you know. With respects to Masters courses, they are also very difficult to get into and you need to prove through work experience that you are interested in that subject. I would personally never advise somebody to try this as a profession unless they know they can get good work experience.

Sorry to be blunt but I don't want anybody else to be in the same position as me and 90% of my classmates.
Reply 7
Original post by Ciri
I received one of these too!

It absolutely does not mean a rejection. Think of it like this, at the end you will be a registered professional for the NHS. In the meantime, you will be provided with the training you need both theoretical and practical. Just like any other job application, you need 2 references to make sure you are suitable for the role. They already have one from UCAS, now they need another, it can be from a teacher or an employer. I got a person I have been volunteering with to do mine.

Good luck! Perhaps I'll see you there in September, I have an interview for Child Nursing on Tuesday.

Bit of advice, you can begin filling out your NHS finance application now. You don't have to send it yet of course but it's a good thing to sort out because you will also need to fill out one for Student Finance England which is a complete nightmare and takes ages. If you need any help, send me a PM :smile:

Hi, I also have an interview with bournemouth tomorrow for child nursing. Have i read it right that there are no maths and literacy tests just a 15 minute interview?
Reply 8
Original post by Dawn1234
Hi, I also have an interview with bournemouth tomorrow for child nursing. Have i read it right that there are no maths and literacy tests just a 15 minute interview?

I have a friend who is currently in her second year of Adult Nursing and asked her the same question! When she had her interview, there was a video and a group activity then an individual interview in the afternoon. No maths or literacy.

In case you need directions/help recognising the building I can help with that too :smile: On the bottom floor of Bournemouth House, there is a nice cafeteria and there's a KFC less than 5 minutes away on the same road. On the next road right by KFC there's a Subway if you don't fancy cafeteria food :tongue: By the sounds of it there could be a bit of a wait for interviews.
Reply 9
I'm so glad to hear that! Maths really isn't my strong point so that takes some of the pressure off. Thanks for the directions, i didn't go to the open day so i was worrying that i wouldn't be able to find my way around but shouldn't be too bad if everything is quite close by. Yea sounds like there may be some hanging around, i have heard that other uni's use that time to see how the applicants interact with others or if they just sit on there own on their phone etc so wasn't sure if this may be why?
Reply 10
I hope not but you've just put the idea into my head >.< I have a friend in her second year of Occupational Therapy and planned on going to lunch with her :s

See you tomorrow!

Hell, I don't even know what I'm wearing yet @.@
Reply 11
Hey does anyone know if the Fine Art BA is part of BU or is there like a separate Bournemouth art uni :s ?
Reply 12
Original post by mxcs
I'm happy to answer anything specific about AUB as well since it doesn't have its own forum :smile:

Original post by Sianey.
Hey does anyone know if the Fine Art BA is part of BU or is there like a separate Bournemouth art uni :s ?

I believe all Arts courses are taken at the Arts University Bournemouth, which is right next door to BU. AUB students are able to take part in BU activities, though and use their facilities. UCAS should state which university it is.
^ Can you confirm this one, mxcs?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Ciri
I believe all Arts courses are taken at the Arts University Bournemouth, which is right next door to BU. AUB students are able to take part in BU activities, though and use their facilities. UCAS should state which university it is.
^ Can you confirm this one, mxcs?

They are two completely separate universities and although they were linked many years ago they aren't anymore. They were still separate institutions as AIB and then AUCB over the last few years, but just gained official university status this year despite offering BA and BA (Hons) degrees for a long time. My tutors say we have as much to do with BU as we do with Southampton University. If you're applying via UCAS to join AUB, you need to select 'The Arts University Bournemouth' rather than 'Bournemouth University' and vice-versa.

However I often go to BU to have lunch, since their food choices are far better and it's only a couple of minutes walk away - it's great to be able to eat at their Starbucks and Costa since they are technically public areas and our own food facilities aren't great. I don't think we get a student discount on their gym membership, can't use their computers or join their societies or clubs, or anything that would require producing a student ID card or student number to use. I've only just been told we're allowed to use their library as it's a public library. BU students can't use our library since you have to have a student card.

If you have any other specific questions let me know :smile:
Reply 14
Anybody studied the Advertising course?
Original post by mxcs
They are two completely separate universities and although they were linked many years ago they aren't anymore. They were still separate institutions as AIB and then AUCB over the last few years, but just gained official university status this year despite offering BA and BA (Hons) degrees for a long time. My tutors say we have as much to do with BU as we do with Southampton University. If you're applying via UCAS to join AUB, you need to select 'The Arts University Bournemouth' rather than 'Bournemouth University' and vice-versa.

However I often go to BU to have lunch, since their food choices are far better and it's only a couple of minutes walk away - it's great to be able to eat at their Starbucks and Costa since they are technically public areas and our own food facilities aren't great. I don't think we get a student discount on their gym membership, can't use their computers or join their societies or clubs, or anything that would require producing a student ID card or student number to use. I've only just been told we're allowed to use their library as it's a public library. BU students can't use our library since you have to have a student card.

If you have any other specific questions let me know :smile:

thankyou for your feedback , so are you saying there no point of me going because im not going to find a job? have u changed ur course because of that or because you didnt like it , or didnt do well because it was hard x I dont know if i should bournemouth or northampton
Reply 16
thankyou for your feedback , so are you saying there no point of me going because im not going to find a job? have u changed ur course because of that or because you didnt like it , or didnt do well because it was hard x I dont know if i should bournemouth or northampton

Not at all! Both unis have a very good reputation - Bournemouth Uni is well known for business courses and sports science in particular (from what I've heard), and AUB is meant to be one of the best places to study Animation in Europe, as well as having some very successful alumni in their respective industries. Not to mention their high employability rate, which appeals to many.

I changed my course because I struggled with the subject and was only recently diagnosed with a problem which also affects my ability to learn normally. Everyone I've known at AUB has done very well and achieved a lot which is wonderful.
Reply 17
Ah really awesome, are you studying an art BA there then? I'm currently doing a foundation at uni of the arts london but reaaaally want to leave London for my BA but I haven't really like fallen in love with a uni. What do you think of it? It's pretty ligh up the league tables. What's the course like and the area, night life, accommodation? Sorry for being a nusense I just haven't got a chance to visit and don't want to make a bad decision ha
Thanks
Reply 18

I ended up graduating in Psychology because the head of psychology would not allow me to transfer. I want to be in a clinical profession so im now trying to get on a new course. Jobs in Psychology are very difficult to come by without work experience, if you do Psych try and get on a 4 year sandwich course because it allows you to do a years placement which will greatly help future job opportunities.
Reply 19
Hi,
I'm planning to study at BU in 2014 and I wanna live in the student accomodation. However, I also wanna bring a car with me as I live over 2 hours away. Are there any good places to park near the student flats? And if you pay can you get a parking permit or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending