The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilzo999
My friend who has the same grades as me got rejected for Actuarial science. That means for an even more competitive course Maths & Econ I have absolutely no chance.

It's probably more to do with personal statement than grades. I wouldn't stress about it because of that.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Anyone got an offer after the 4 week email?
Original post by NedStark
It's probably more to do with personal statement than grades. I wouldn't stress about it because of that.

But here's the thing, my personal statement is worse than horse ****. Oh well, I'll be happy at Warwick anyways.
Reply 3183
Original post by BeatTheBox
I didn't know that the 4 week emails were being sent out for math and eco!!!:frown:... I am definitely getting rejected:frown:

Hi! I'm also applying for Math and Eco and I had no news since 5 week email some 8 weeks ago. I think (and hope) this does not mean rejection, rather lack of decision.
Reply 3184
I have a feeling that this Thursday and Friday a lot of things will happen. I wish you all good luck! Especially myself (5th week into 7 week email, BSc Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method) haha :colone:
Original post by arminb
Has anyone actually been to LSE? I know that it is very prestigious but I have heard some negative things about that place. Is there anyone who has actually been there and liked/disliked it ?

I'm a first year at LSE and if I'm honest, for those who also get offers from UCL consider the latter very carefully.
Original post by Cutmeloose
I'm a first year at LSE and if I'm honest, for those who also get offers from UCL consider the latter very carefully.

Why?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Why?

It's subjective, but my best friend is at UCL and generally speaking the social life there seems to be considerably better. UCL has more of a social vibe from what I've gathered. LSE is not as tame as some suggest, but the social atmosphere is pretty fractured. Just make sure you try and visit both/talk to people you know at either.

Depends on the individual, but the difference in reputation for employment between the two is pretty marginal.
It's subjective, but my best friend is at UCL and generally speaking the social life there seems to be considerably better. UCL has more of a social vibe from what I've gathered. LSE is not as tame as some suggest, but the social atmosphere is pretty fractured. Just make sure you try and visit both/talk to people you know at either.

Depends on the individual, but the difference in reputation for employment between the two is pretty marginal.

Not if you study Economics
Original post by Dilzo999
My friend who has the same grades as me got rejected for Actuarial science. That means for an even more competitive course Maths & Econ I have absolutely no chance.

Hi, Im also applying for actuarial sciences. Can u tell me what were ur friend's grades who got rejected. Its really freakin me out :/ Thanks
Original post by ekgp
Does anyone know when they're closing? Some said it was on the 20th and I'm already in my 7th week after my 5 week email! I hope I get an offer next week...(I've applied for Actuarial Science btw)

Ive applied to actuarial sciences too! what are ur Grades and predicted?
Original post by Mike_123
Not if you study Economics

Erm, the different is marginal. The major investment banks might target LSE marginally more than UCL, but not much more than that.

Going to LSE over UCL definitely does not considerably improve your chances of getting into banking or other competitive areas of finance.
Reply 3192

thank you very much for your help. I would go to UCL but I've only applied for UCL SSEES and the atmosphere is completely different over there so I dont think im going there. What course are you doing in LSE? Do yo know any history students there?
Reply 3193
I wonder if Oxbridge is actually THAT much harder than LSE to get into. I see a lot of rejections on this page (my commiserations on that) . Of course, Oxbridge is better but LSE has less places available that Oxbridge.
Original post by arminb
I wonder if Oxbridge is actually THAT much harder than LSE to get into. I see a lot of rejections on this page (my commiserations on that) . Of course, Oxbridge is better but LSE has less places available that Oxbridge.

From what i've heard econ at LSE is harder to get into than E+M at Oxford.
Original post by maliksajwani
Hi, Im also applying for actuarial sciences. Can u tell me what were ur friend's grades who got rejected. Its really freakin me out :/ Thanks

Uh AAAC, predicted A*A*A*.
Original post by arminb

You have to remember that LSE over offers places for its courses as it anticipates a few people declining them in favour of Oxbridge, whereas Oxbridge don't ever over offer (apart from Cambridge Maths). So the stats don't always tell the whole picture.
Reply 3197
Erm, the different is marginal. The major investment banks might target LSE marginally more than UCL, but not much more than that.

Going to LSE over UCL definitely does not considerably improve your chances of getting into banking or other competitive areas of finance.

Its funny how you can say their difference is marginal when you're a first year who hasnt done a spring week or secured a penultimate year internship... Not saying your statement is majorly wrong but its a typical case of blind leading the blind.

At the end of the day most people agree LSE Econ > UCL Econ the same way Camb > LSE. In reality Camb/LSE/UCL Economics offer very similar prospects for the IB industry but in terms of accepting a university offer you should really consider other factors such as academic reputation/prestige/etc before IB prospects. IB is not for everyone

And with regards to the social/uni prestige trade off. I've met people studying Econ at Bath/Bristol on my spring week who got to the exact same position as me at unis which would (probably) be better socially than LSE/UCL. Do you think thats a good enough reason to reject LSE/UCL?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3198
Hi, has anyone gotten rejections for BSc Economics if at least five weeks have passed after the 'five week' email, and no further email was sent to them? Some people received the 'among the strongest applicants' email on the last day of their five weeks, but some haven't received anything even after their five weeks had been up last week. Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by arminb

Oxford and Cambridge tend to accept students with higher grades. Average UCAS entry tariff:

Economics-

Cambridge: 638
Oxford: 608
LSE: 587

General-

Cambridge: 610
Oxford: 583
LSE: 542
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending