The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Poking Holes In Condoms

Poll

Should Poking Holes In Condoms Be Illegal?

I don't know the actual law behind this but I was wondering what you think would/should be the law on a hypothetical scenario:

In one instance, a woman or a man pokes a hole in their partner's condoms in order to get pregnant/get their partner pregnant. Should that individual who poked the holes in the condoms be prosecuted under the pretence that any birth was unwanted, and should their partner be forced to pay child support/forced to keep their child if it's a woman?

I know of only one case recently when a guy got put in jail for poking holes in the condoms of his partner. However, I haven't heard of any women getting done for the same crime (even though it gets reported more than men doing so), though I assume it'll be because it's far harder to prove than if it were a man who a got a woman pregnant without her consent.

Do you think that a person should who didn't want to have a baby have to pay child support for the unwanted pregnancy of their partner or themselves, and do you think poking holes in condoms should be illegal/have some kind of penalty? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I don't know if there are any laws on it currently.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
I don't think it should be a jailable crime, but I'm not sure what kind of punishment would fit :erm:

I suppose that if a women did it to get pregnant, a guy shouldn't have to pay the child support or be involved with the kid at all if he doesn't want to.
But, if a guy did it to get a women pregnant, she has the standard three options every women has, but I'm not sure at all how the guy would be punished. Jail is far to extreme, but maybe a restraining order and be forcibly excluded from the kid's life (if applicable).
Reply 3
Original post by Gjaykay
I don't think it should be a jailable crime, but I'm not sure what kind of punishment would fit :erm:

I suppose that if a women did it to get pregnant, a guy shouldn't have to pay the child support or be involved with the kid at all if he doesn't want to.
But, if a guy did it to get a women pregnant, she has the standard three options every women has, but I'm not sure at all how the guy would be punished. Jail is far to extreme, but maybe a restraining order and be forcibly excluded from the kid's life (if applicable).

I'd agree with this. But the problem for guys is its far harder to prove she poked holes in the condom than it is vice-versa.
Regardless of the pregnancy issue, I think it should be an overarching, general crime full-stop. It's currently a GBH to knowingly infect someone with something like a HIV, so I think they should just make a general crime of poking holes in a condom as some sort of assault as you are having bodily fluids enter you for which you did not consent.
Reply 5
I'm not sure about the legality or lack thereof, but the victim should not have to pay child support.
Original post by Plainview
I'm not sure about the legality or lack thereof, but the victim should not have to pay child support.

Agreed. I don't know what the grounds would specifically be to make it illegal, but it's outrageous that a man can be trapped this way. He's being forced to procreate against his will and thus shouldn't be held responsible for it. If someone did that to be as a man or if as a woman someone tricked me into pregnancy I'd feel violated.
It shouldn't be illegal. That would make lying to your partner in any way a legal offence, and while morally wrong, I don't want the state getting involved in people's relationships

Also, the person should have to pay support. If you have sex, you know there is a chance you could have a baby therefor you should accept the consequences. Why make the child suffer?
Reply 8
Unfortunately there isn't yet an effective 'male pill', leaving only 2 options for male contraceptives - condoms or (in extremis) vasectomy. Women have more options available (injection, pill, coil, cups, sponges...), so if, hypothetically, she wanted to become pregnant it would be easier to do so 'stealthily' than vice versa. Might add a new side to the argument?
Reply 9
I don't the law could realistically have anything to say on this, because it's so easy to deny.
Might not want to read if you are eating:

Spoiler

Christ that be extremely messed up! Definitely should have to pay for the child support at the bare minimum...
I don't think it should be illegal. But if I did something like that to my partner, I wouldn't expect him to have to take responsibility for the child.
Same as if he switched my birth control pills, I wouldn't feel responsible for the conceived foetus if I didn't want it.
Reply 12
Imagine if it were a law, and what you suggested does come into play (not having to pay child support)... Can you imagine that system being abused like hell? It's something you cannot prove, so where do they draw the line to accept someone not paying child support?
Reply 13
I think that if somebody doesn't want children they should realize that condoms aren't 100% effective anyway and it would be hard to find proof that there was a hole in any condom they used later down the line.
Best Jeremy Kyle episode ever.
Original post by Kiss
I don't know the actual law behind this but I was wondering what you think would/should be the law on a hypothetical scenario:

In one instance, a woman or a man pokes a hole in their partner's condoms in order to get pregnant/get their partner pregnant. Should that individual who poked the holes in the condoms be prosecuted under the pretence that any birth was unwanted, and should their partner be forced to pay child support/forced to keep their child if it's a woman?

I know of only one case recently when a guy got put in jail for poking holes in the condoms of his partner. However, I haven't heard of any women getting done for the same crime (even though it gets reported more than men doing so), though I assume it'll be because it's far harder to prove than if it were a man who a got a woman pregnant without her consent.

Do you think that a person should who didn't want to have a baby have to pay child support for the unwanted pregnancy of their partner or themselves, and do you think poking holes in condoms should be illegal/have some kind of penalty? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I don't know if there are any laws on it currently.

You could try to make a case that it fell within S. 76(2)(b) 'the defendant intentionally deceived the complainant as to the....purpose of the act', but I'm not sure how well such an argument would fly.

In terms of the child maintenance that's family law and in family law interests of child>interests of adult. Is it unfair that she did that? Yes, but the child didn't choose to make his mother prick the condom and should not suffer as a result.
Reply 16
Family law is a bit of a nightmare for men.

As it stands, it's not even established that a man has any real redress to paternity fraud. i.e. if a woman tells him that a child is his (and knowing that it isn't), and he supports the child over a number of years; upon revelation, common law jurisdictions are reluctant to even allow the man to sue for the return of the money.

Given this, I don't see any possibility of a woman being prosecuted for "pregnancy by deception" and almost no chance of the man not having to pay support.
Original post by Kezza Wilson
But if I did something like that to my partner, I wouldn't expect him to have to take responsibility for the child.

You say that, but the very fact that you're thinking so rationally proves that you're not the type of person who would do that - the type of woman who would trick her partner into having a child can't be right in the head, so would almost certainly not be quite so rational.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You say that, but the very fact that you're thinking so rationally proves that you're not the type of person who would do that - the type of woman who would trick her partner into having a child can't be right in the head, so would almost certainly not be quite so rational.

I suppose you're right. Thankfully I've never had the kind of relationship where I felt I had to trap someone in that way.
I mean I don't know what I'd do in reality if the love of my life threatened to leave or something.
Reply 19
Original post by Kezza Wilson
I suppose you're right. Thankfully I've never had the kind of relationship where I felt I had to trap someone in that way.
I mean I don't know what I'd do in reality if the love of my life threatened to leave or something.

How confident are you that you wouldn't poke the hole in the condom?

Latest

Trending

Trending