The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone already had an interview at UEL? Was just wondering if you had to complete a maths test as part of the assessment?
Original post by JungleeBilli
*Attention*

Those that have completed their Numeracy Skills test, any tips? How good was it compared to the online practice tests that we are provided with?

I found it similar to the practice, but there was some topics that I didn't recognise. The only tip I can give is to become as comfortable with the format of the questions as you can. But it's not that bad.
Original post by Voxed

I found the Numeracy Skills Test fairly comparable to (if not slightly easier than) the online practice tests. By comparison I found the Literacy Skills Test slightly harder than the practice tests, and for what it's worth I'm definitely more confident in literacy than numeracy.

As for tips I'd recommend starting as many of the mental arithmetic questions as you can after the first reading, as it'll give you extra time to do calculations. Write down any numbers mentioned with context (e.g. 18 pupils, rather than just 18), as it'll help you to know what to do them. For the calculator section just make sure you read the whole text of the question, as it's easy to lose marks by not writing an answer to two decimal places or in the correct units etc. Other than that stay as calm as you can and you'll be fine! :smile:

Original post by alabelle
I found it similar to the practice, but there was some topics that I didn't recognise. The only tip I can give is to become as comfortable with the format of the questions as you can. But it's not that bad.

Thank you so much to you both. Your input is invaluable :biggrin:.
I feel really quite down after my PGCE interview :frown: even though its nearly christmas! I just feel like I could have done a lot better! Did anyone else feel like this?
Reply 3924
Original post by polka_dott
I feel really quite down after my PGCE interview :frown: even though its nearly christmas! I just feel like I could have done a lot better! Did anyone else feel like this?

I've just got back from my interview at Bath Spa and I feel the same. All I can think about are the things I should have said and what I feel I could have done better. It's so hard and now the wait begins! Good luck to you.
Reply 3925
Original post by LaurieLee
How did you find it? Fingers crossed for you!

Just found out I have an interview at Durham for Secondary English on 15th January, so excited, but am on holiday til 12th January so will have to prep for it before I go!

I hope not, I think it would be a terrible system if they could fill all places before they finish interviewing. I am sure you will be fine :smile:

Congratulations!

That should be more than enough time to prep. Lucky you with how much notice you've been given... Early applicants seemed to be given really short notice about their interview dates. I applied 29th Nov and had an interview invitation on 9th Dec for an interview on 12th Dec so I only had 3 days to prep, and I feel the day went OK. Touch wood.

Let me know how it goes :-)
Original post by lyoung90
Congratulations!

That should be more than enough time to prep. Lucky you with how much notice you've been given... Early applicants seemed to be given really short notice about their interview dates. I applied 29th Nov and had an interview invitation on 9th Dec for an interview on 12th Dec so I only had 3 days to prep, and I feel the day went OK. Touch wood.

Let me know how it goes :-)

I know! Short notice probably would have panicked me, but not sure which I'd prefer...

Looking forward to my interview, have been very anxiously waiting for any news!
Reply 3927
After over 2 weeks i still have not received my second reference, they have followed all the steps UCAS advised including making a new email account and still nothing. FUMING
Original post by polka_dott

Original post by rso101
I've just got back from my interview at Bath Spa and I feel the same. All I can think about are the things I should have said and what I feel I could have done better. It's so hard and now the wait begins! Good luck to you.

I'm sure you both did fine. :smile: Fingers crossed for you!
Reply 3929
Original post by 4ndy888
After over 2 weeks i still have not received my second reference, they have followed all the steps UCAS advised including making a new email account and still nothing. FUMING

What a nightmare. Such a ridiculous system. Is there anyway of going direct i wonder. Probably not. What if you set up a new load of details for yourself? New ID etc and copy paste your form into it? Then everything from scratch, although I suppose that messes up your other reference. :confused:
Reply 3930
Original post by Zogs
What a nightmare. Such a ridiculous system. Is there anyway of going direct i wonder. Probably not. What if you set up a new load of details for yourself? New ID etc and copy paste your form into it? Then everything from scratch, although I suppose that messes up your other reference. :confused:

There are clearly issues as so many other people have experienced the same problem. I could give that a go, I'm going to call ucas first thing in the morning and wait for them to tell me what else I can do, manually sending hopefully is an option. Will update!
Original post by Frances_Parry
Try not to worry too much! I am sure you'll hear something this week from them. I sent mine off on the 28th Nov because I had a nightmare last year waiting for references so wanted to make sure I got it off quickly this time round. Have you had your confirmation email at least? :smile:
I haven't even had a confirmation email yet.. Was hoping to at least hear whether or not i had got an interview before Christmas! Hope you hear back about your decision soon!
Original post by Juichiro
Did you have any interviews with UEL? What level/route/subject was the application for?

Are you doing primary at IOE or secondary?
Original post by Sara Jayne
I haven't even had a confirmation email yet.. Was hoping to at least hear whether or not i had got an interview before Christmas! Hope you hear back about your decision soon!

That's really strange! I at least got a confirmation email really soon, maybe phone them tomorrow just to check they are looking through it!? and thank you!
Original post by Frances_Parry
That's really strange! I at least got a confirmation email really soon, maybe phone them tomorrow just to check they are looking through it!? and thank you!

I know I had confirmation emails from my other 2 choices. Might email admissions and double check, don't want them to think I'm being pushy though!! X
Reply 3935
Offer for Kings just came through! Just one more response to wait for and then I can make my decision.

*Attention*

Those that have completed their Numeracy Skills test, any tips? How good was it compared to the online practice tests that we are provided with?

It's a little easier than the practice tests in my mind. There is one topic that comes up twice that isn't in any of those tests (which others have alluded to on this thread) but it's so straightforward a thing that it's nothing to worry about.

Original post by 4ndy888

Perhaps find someone else to provide you with a reference? I know it's not ideal - and this really is a terrible system - but that sounds like your best bet to me.
Original post by KerryE5
I haven't heard anything!! I haven't even had an acknowledgement :frown: they are my last one to hear from x

Mine too! They're my first choice too so feeling really nervous about not hearing back from them. Was hoping to hear whether or not is got an interview before Christmas but doesn't look like we will hear now x
*Attention*

I found the real one slightly easier than the practice ones. I signed up to Numeracy Ready and practised all of their tests quite a few times until I felt confident on the mental arithmetic part. I think the calculator part was easier too. I had ten minutes spare at the end of the test so I had time to go back and double check all my answers. Make sure you're confident (and quick) at working out fractions/percentages/time/converting km/miles and you'll be fine!
Don't know if anyone else has had the same experience but Cumbria Uni (Lancaster) doesn't hang about on making decisions.
Only had my interview yesterday and already had an offer which i've seen this evening! Had consigned myself to maybe not finding out till after christmas but obviously not anymore.
Got an offer from St Mary's which is my top choice! So relieved :smile: Good luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending