The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

School is finally over for Christmas.. I have a 4000 word History coursework essay to do, I have to write 11 chapters of Chemistry notes, I need to read 4 novels for my English Literature coursework and I also have to do my wider reading for History. When exactly am I going to have time for a holiday?

I hate A levels :cry2:
Ah practical exams time...

If you have ISA's/EPMAs/any other coursework, please note that any attempt to gain unfair advantages in these exams (e.g. by asking what came up, what specifically to revise etc.) is not allowed. See here for more information: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=131&a=1366

Thanks.
If I had extenuating circumstances whilst/since doing my ASs, do I put it in my personal statement? My parents are saying I definitely should, but the school has said they'll put a sentence about it in my reference and I really don't want it to look like I'm making excuses and thing that there are other better things to go in my PS, any ideas? So stressed out about this, I just want to send it off :cry2:
Original post by furryface12
If I had extenuating circumstances whilst/since doing my ASs, do I put it in my personal statement? My parents are saying I definitely should, but the school has said they'll put a sentence about it in my reference and I really don't want it to look like I'm making excuses and thing that there are other better things to go in my PS, any ideas? So stressed out about this, I just want to send it off :cry2:

It's usually advised against to put it in your personal statement, use those characters to show off how amazing you are :wink: it's definitely better off in your reference! Best of luck, hope you get it sent soon :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
It's usually advised against to put it in your personal statement, use those characters to show off how amazing you are :wink: it's definitely better off in your reference! Best of luck, hope you get it sent soon :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks that's what I'd heard, but apparently some unis say on their websites to put it in personal statements which is where my parents got it from, so not sure what to do really :s-smilie:
Thanks that's what I'd heard, but apparently some unis say on their websites to put it in personal statements which is where my parents got it from, so not sure what to do really :s-smilie:

Oh I see :redface: how confusing!
Excited to finish tomorrow :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Lucy96
Oh I see :redface: how confusing!

Exactly :redface: But thank you :smile:
Exactly :redface: But thank you :smile:

You're welcome :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zahra_d
Guys I really need your help I don't know who else to tell - the thing is, I'm not doing very well in History, for my past three essays I've gotten D's and it's really getting me down. I'm predicted a B, which I got last year and I really want an A - I feel like I'm capable but for some reason I'm doing so badly at essay writing (I'm on OCR doing Civil Rights 1865-1992 btw)

So if any of you are doing history, even if it isn't the same topic/exam board please give me some tips you use to help you do well, I never get D's and it's really peeving me off that I can't seem to do well - help will be much appreciated!!

Hey!

I usually do a table and I divide it into columns that basically say 'Point, Evidence, Explain, Comparison and Link' and I do this for every paragraph. That is the structure I generally use. Also, I would highly recommend that you use historiography (quotes from historians) to make your points so so so much stronger, whether it is for or against the argument. At the end of each paragraph, either link back to the question or to the next paragraph (I usually so the former because you will stay on track with the question) and a strong intro and conclusion makes a huge difference! Basically, at the end of all of this, this becomes a huge plan- but when you start writing your essay, it becomes so much more focused and direct. I hope all of this made sense! :smile:
Reply 8610
Original post by euphrosyne
School is finally over for Christmas.. I have a 4000 word History coursework essay to do, I have to write 11 chapters of Chemistry notes, I need to read 4 novels for my English Literature coursework and I also have to do my wider reading for History. When exactly am I going to have time for a holiday?

I hate A levels :cry2:

You're lucky, we still have 2 days before we break up
What did u take for A2s and ouch, that sounds likea lot of fun
Just trimmed off 1000 words of my English Lit coursework. Only 140 words left to go!
Sorry guys, forgot to reply to these.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Nice offers there, what's the Imperial one may I ask?

A*A*A.
Original post by usycool1
Awesome, congrats! :biggrin: I'm sure your interview at Cambridge was fine! :yep: Mine hasn't really got off to the best of starts tbh. :no: I got rejected from Oxford without interview (BMAT too low) and I'm expecting my Imperial rejection within the next few weeks for the same thing. Haven't heard anything else though from my other choices (Birmingham and Bristol), not even an interview call yet. :sad:

Thanks. :biggrin: Here's hoping! I'm sorry to hear about Oxford mate. :frown: :console: I heard about the BMAT this year, it seems to have screwed over a lot of people, stupid exam. :/ Hang in there though usy, it's not over til the fat lady sings and you've still got 3 choices left to go! :yep: Do you know anyone who's applied to similar unis and are in a similar position or if your choices generally give interviews out later? Here's hoping you get interviews though, keep us updated! :hugs:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Prinz655
You're lucky, we still have 2 days before we break up
What did u take for A2s and ouch, that sounds likea lot of fun
I kinda left school 2 days early to go on holiday :innocent:
I think it should be obvious what A2s I took since I mentioned them in my original post :tongue:
Reply 8614
I think it should be obvious what A2s I took since I mentioned them in my original post :tongue:

That is true :tongue:
I wish I could do that without feeling bad or getting caught :tongue:
what unis are u applying for
Reply 8615

I'm leaving a day early. All they are gping to do tomorrow is assessmbly I can't be asked going

Posted from TSR Mobile
All quiet on here tonight, how is everybody? Last day tomorrow! :party:
Original post by Felix Felicis

A*A*A.

Thanks. :biggrin: Here's hoping! I'm sorry to hear about Oxford mate. :frown: :console: I heard about the BMAT this year, it seems to have screwed over a lot of people, stupid exam. :/ Hang in there though usy, it's not over til the fat lady sings and you've still got 3 choices left to go! :yep: Do you know anyone who's applied to similar unis and are in a similar position or if your choices generally give interviews out later? Here's hoping you get interviews though, keep us updated! :hugs:

:biggrin: Thanks. :smile: Yeah, it is such a stupid exam, it becomes a guessing game for loads of people I think. Indeed! Not at school, but I'm still worried...Birmingham have already given 50% of people offers for medicine, meaning they'll only give another 15% or so of applicants offer...I haven't even got an interview yet. Bristol have a 15 applicant to one place competition ratio for medicine, and they've given out 250 interviews already so I don't have high hopes, it's looking like I'll end up unplaced this year. :frown:
Is anyone else doing WJEC Biology, Chemistry or Physics? I've been entered for BY4, CH4 and PH4 in January but I am so not ready!

I got BAA at AS and was very close to AAA, so I don't understand where I've been going wrong and why I seem to be getting Cs and below in my work? The teachers have been helping me with things I don't understand but I can't seem to improve my grades? I revise in all my free lessons (average 3ish hours in the day) and try to do an hour or two after school. Is this enough or too much as my parents try to tell me? I really need help, because I'm really scared I'm going to fail my January exams. :frown:
Reply 8619
Original post by AmyAintDead
Is anyone else doing WJEC Biology, Chemistry or Physics? I've been entered for BY4, CH4 and PH4 in January but I am so not ready!

I got BAA at AS and was very close to AAA, so I don't understand where I've been going wrong and why I seem to be getting Cs and below in my work? The teachers have been helping me with things I don't understand but I can't seem to improve my grades? I revise in all my free lessons (average 3ish hours in the day) and try to do an hour or two after school. Is this enough or too much as my parents try to tell me? I really need help, because I'm really scared I'm going to fail my January exams. :frown:

Wow my parents say 1/2 is too small.
And how are you content wise because if that is ok then I'd do exam papers and check.my mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest